Woodus

Dragon Quest I, II and III Coming to Switch

Dragon Quest I, II and III coming to Nintendo Switch on September 27th.

image.png

Original Tweet: https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/1173582556718977025

Press Release

SQUARE ENIX® announced that the first three classic games in the DRAGON QUEST™ franchise will be released for the Nintendo Switch™ system on September 27. Fans can rediscover the origins of the legendary RPG series and the entire Erdrick trilogy in DRAGON QUEST, DRAGON QUEST II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line™ and DRAGON QUEST III: The Seeds of Salvation®, each available via digital download from the Nintendo eShop.

Upon its release in 1986, the pivotal DRAGON QUEST series became a cultural phenomenon, accumulating a large, passionate fanbase of millions worldwide, and set the standard for the RPG genre. This modern collection of the classic titles features simple and intuitive controls that mimic retro gameplay, paying homage to where the legacy began.

The iconic Erdrick trilogy begins in the acclaimed DRAGON QUEST where players begin their voyage as the “Hero,” a descendent of the valiant hero Erdrick in an epic journey through the historic realm of Alefgard. DRAGON QUEST II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line takes place a century later, where the young prince of Midenhall embarks on a journey to find the other two descendants of Erdrick in order to defeat the nefarious Hargon. The third and final title in the Erdrick trilogy, DRAGON QUEST III: The Seeds of Salvation, takes players through the land of Aliahan, where a young hero has been charged with an impossible task of slaying Baramos, the master of darkness.

DRAGON QUEST will be priced at $4.99, DRAGON QUEST II: Luminaries of the Legendary Line will be priced at $6.49, and DRAGON QUEST III: The Seeds of Salvation will be priced at $12.49. All three titles will be available digitally for the Nintendo Switch system on September 27 and are rated T (Teen) by the ESRB.

Edited by Woodus
Added Press Release

Heeeeey, look at that. Now I don’t need to contemplate spending $30-40 for a GBC cartridge. Phone is fine but a prefer playing on a handheld system.

Edited by eal
  • Like 1

spacer.png

..........oof

I'll stick to the mobile versions.

• Upvote 1

Neat. I finally have something to spend those stupid Nintendo Gold points on!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JLG said:

spacer.png

..........oof

I'll stick to the mobile versions.

This is a very big oof. The SNES versions were perfect! Why do this, it looks so messy! However, I still appreciate the fact that they're bringing more Dragon Quest to the outer world! Maybe we'll get that upcoming Monsters title too 

Wow!

This news isn't too surprising since they're essentially just updates of our (already localized) mobile versions.

I'll look into getting these eventually but DQ11 (which is my first time playing it) Switch game will occupy my gaming time for a while. :)

PS: I really don't care for those character/monster models. It looks jarring seeing them among the retained 2D environments. I'm not understanding what possessed them to make this change. It's my only complaint about this. Otherwise, I love the thought of having as many DQ games as possible housed under one roof with my Switch. Here's to hoping they port IV-IX over. I own them all but I'd love to have them all under one roof with my Switch. :)

5 minutes ago, Hendrik of Heliodor said:

This is a very big oof. The SNES versions were perfect! Why do this, it looks so messy! However, I still appreciate the fact that they're bringing more Dragon Quest to the outer world! Maybe we'll get that upcoming Monsters title too 

It does look bad. It looks jarring, to be honest. I don't like it at all.

Still, I'll purchase it because it's based on the mobile versions. While I hate playing them on mobile, they have the best translations/improvements by far--especially II with its updated Zoom features.

I Love the upgraded graphics. . . Too bad the Party Members are still just as generic as they've always been; Good thing that Party Members with distinctive names, personalities, and Designs have been a Staple of the series since DQIV. . .

• Like 1

This is exciting news! Hopefully this means we will see more Dragon Quest titles appear on Switch, hopefully 4-8 along with a remake/remaster of 9. And that offline DQX they mused about. Would be amazing to have the whole series on one console.

Like others, I'm not 100% keen on the mismatched character and background resolutions, but at least they look better than the mobile versions of 1 and 2, which had ugly uneven pixel-sizing for the backgrounds.

Now, what I'm especially torn on is whether to buy them digitally to support the series in the US, or buy the physical cart from PlayAsia....

• Like 1

This is exciting news! Hopefully this means we will see more Dragon Quest titles appear on Switch, hopefully 4-8 along with a remake/remaster of 9. And that offline DQX they mused about. Would be amazing to have the whole series on one console.
Like others, I'm not 100% keen on the mismatched character and background resolutions, but at least they look better than the mobile versions of 1 and 2, which had ugly uneven pixel-sizing for the backgrounds.
Now, what I'm especially torn on is whether to buy them digitally to support the series in the US, or buy the physical cart from PlayAsia....
See, the DQIX Switch game. I completely see that happening. What Nintendo handheld didn't get a remake?

GBC got DQ1-3
GBA got... (oops)
DS got DQ4-6
3DS got DQ7-8
Switch gets DQ9

Count on it.
09a87fdfe199feec89f7a03b9385d37e.jpg

See, the DQIX Switch game. I completely see that happening. What Nintendo handheld didn't get a remake?

GBC got DQ1-3
GBA got... (oops)
DS got DQ4-6
3DS got DQ7-8
Switch gets DQ9

Count on it.
09a87fdfe199feec89f7a03b9385d37e.jpg
Wait you actually have that image? That seems so unnatural.

Wait you actually have that image? That seems so unnatural.
I'm full of surprises!