DrippySlimeStar

Dragon Quest 1/2/3 Collection up for preorder

Yeah, Imma wait until we know for sure we’re not getting this here before I dump $40 + import shipping for phone ports on Switch.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, eal said:

Yeah, Imma wait until we know for sure we’re not getting this here before I dump $40 + import shipping for phone ports on Switch.

Probably a smart move. I just cancelled my order lol.

• Like 1

Something about it gives me the impression we’ll get it eventually. They probably just don’t want to oversaturate the market. We just got Builders and we’re waiting on XI S, all shortly after getting the Hero in Smash. Asian English games are hit-or-miss if they stay up on Play-Asia for long, but worst case scenario I got the phone ports.

• Like 1

I'm not dying to play them over again since I have them all on every platform they're available (mobile included). I'll say we're at 65% at getting them officially on US Switches. Plus I can't remember if it was here or on another message board but maybe we'll get them for doing something in another upcoming game like Japan did...

• Like 1

Also, if they do bring these to NA/EU, we want them to see high sales in those regions, right? Producers need to be able to show executives at SQEX hard data that prove financial success in English-led markets. If the hardcore fans insist on importing from Asia and don’t double dip, that just inflated Asian numbers and lowers NA/EU sales.

I’m also still hoping that they may be holding out on announcing it because we’re getting the original trilogy for free

after completing the game + post-game

, as I understand was the way these ports originally launched in Japan on 3DS and PS4. That would be amazing. I’m honestly not expecting it, but it would be very cool, and great marketing.

I'm tempted to get these but will wait. I'm confident we'll get them localized and I'm willing to wait (much like I did with XI). Besides, I have XI pre-ordered and that will keep me occupied for a long time (especially since I plan on having one file for 3D and one for 2D). I'll have my hands full.

I actually played these mobile versions on my old phone but I can't port them over to my new phone and I don't want to drop more money on my current phone, knowing these Switch ports exist.

I'll bide my time (like I always do with this series) and wait for localization. I love how they updated DQI and II to VI SFC graphics. Those games look fantastic with that update.

• Like 2

I really really hope they bring this westward.

• Like 2

I’ll wait and see if we get the trilogy on Switch here in the west. If not, at least I can import it and play it in English.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, JustACorpse said:

Also, if they do bring these to NA/EU, we want them to see high sales in those regions, right? Producers need to be able to show executives at SQEX hard data that prove financial success in English-led markets. If the hardcore fans insist on importing from Asia and don’t double dip, that just inflated Asian numbers and lowers NA/EU sales.

I’m also still hoping that they may be holding out on announcing it because we’re getting the original trilogy for free

Reveal hidden contents

after completing the game + post-game

, as I understand was the way these ports originally launched in Japan on 3DS and PS4. That would be amazing. I’m honestly not expecting it, but it would be very cool, and great marketing.

Your new to the fanbase and wasn't around I assume during the DQ dark ages, SE doesn't give a fck about DQ like that until recently there not gonna be so nice to give us the trilogy for free after post game, Square Enix cares about that $$$$ and that's all, its been a staple of the company for years, the tomb raider moment is notorious for that.

2 hours ago, muddy120 said:

Your new to the fanbase and wasn't around I assume during the DQ dark ages, SE doesn't give a fck about DQ like that until recently there not gonna be so nice to give us the trilogy for free after post game, Square Enix cares about that $$$$ and that's all, its been a staple of the company for years, the tomb raider moment is notorious for that.

Hm… I’m not exactly “new”. More like “on hiatus”. Haha. I was with the first three games, excitedly anticipating both DQ2 and DQ3. I may have even played DQ4, but I don’t remember it. I think I drifted away from DQ because of the “dark ages”. Enix didn’t maintain the momentum.

Growing up for me involved “angstier” storytelling and just less video games in general. Final Fantasy VI is still my favorite, but I never got into FFVII, tried once to play VIII but didn’t finish it, had no interest in IX. I only played X because it was my first year in Japan and I had some downtime. I played FFXII because it was Matsuno-san and I already had a PS2. I haven’t bought a console since then.

So it’s not that I’m new to DQ; it’s more like I took a break from gaming in general. But FF kept up its release and promotion, while Enix’s And even SQEX’s lack of support kind of let DQ slip from my mind. I do understand, all too well, the effects of the dark ages. I hope they don’t allow it to happen again. No matter how much money DQXI (S) makes it does not make, there is no question that they’re in a stronger position with the series and its potential growth than they’ve been in years. I hope they remain committed to its success. It deserves it, and I’m very happy to be back in the fold. DQ was a huge part of my life and imagination for several formative years.

EDIT: Also, I’m not very knowledgeable about SQEX’s current executive management, but I feel that Horii-san has become more valuable as the SQEX grinding culture has worn down so much talent (all my speculation, based on feelings I can’t back up with anything) that Horii-san may have more actual power than he even used to. I know for a fact that he wants to see DQ succeed internationally, not just about money but genuinely about spreading his love and heart.

Okumoto-san seems like a fantastic, hard-working producer who cares about the games, but understands they need to make lots of money to support development. I think there’s a good team there, and real support from both SQEX and Nintendo.

I saw a video recently that I’ve been searching for, but can’t find again. In it, Horii-san actually calls out SQEX. The interviewer asks him the reason he thinks DQ never quite caught fire the same as FF in EU/NA or DQ in Japan. He says directly, “They (Enix/SQEX) didn’t support us” or “There wasn’t enough support” or something like that. The other SQEX employee joining him in the interview laughs uncomfortably and says, “Are you really saying that?” I’d love to find this video again, if anyone knows what I’m talking about? I thought it may have been on IGN, but didn’t see it there. It’s on location in a pretty hotel or something, not in a studio. Anyway, that kind of bold comment suggests to me that SQEX and the DQ team really are committed to promoting the series with everything they’ve got going forward. I hope it’s true.

EDIT: What’s “the Tomb Raider moment”? That sounds interesting…

Edited by JustACorpse

22 hours ago, JustACorpse said:

Reveal hidden contents

I thought you got the 1st one free in Japan (not 2 or 3) when you beat the post-game, but I'm 95% pulling that out of Swiss Cheese memory.

Edited by Plattym3
  • Upvote 1

I thought you got the 1st one free in Japan when you beat the post-game, but I'm 95% pulling that out of Swiss Cheese memory.
I had heard that as well.

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:
1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:
I thought you got the 1st one free in Japan when you beat the post-game, but I'm 95% pulling that out of Swiss Cheese memory.

I had heard that as well.

You did. Once you beat the post game on the PS4 version you would receive DQ1 for free. Not sure if you got it for free on 3DS though.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, morningstar said:

and what should we do to get the 3DS version, please ?

Either hack your 3DS or import a Japanese one, because I really doubt at this point we’ll get the 3DS ports of the mobile games. Though with the Vita even now still getting support, the unlikely could happen. 🤔

Turn your Switch vertically and use your imagination.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:
2 hours ago, morningstar said:

Turn your Switch vertically and use your imagination.

You could always get a small piece of cardboard or paper and place it halfway across the vertical screen. BOOM! Dual screen Switch.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

You could always get a small piece of cardboard or paper and place it halfway across the vertical screen. BOOM! Dual screen Switch.

Why stop there? Buy TWO Nintendo Switches and just tape them together like a clam. The combined resolution would be more then 1080p!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Why stop there? Buy TWO Nintendo Switches and just tape them together like a clam. The combined resolution would be more then 1080p!

Why stop at that? With both switches taped together, cover both screens up and you have yourself 4 screens of pure gameplay!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Why stop at that? With both switches taped together, cover both screens up and you have yourself 4 screens of pure gameplay!

And people said that Nintendo can't do 4K gaming.

55 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

And people said that Nintendo can't do 4K gaming.

All it took was a little duct tape. Is there anything duct tape can’t do?

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

That seems too cheap and easy. Better yet buy one of those foldable Samsung phones for over $1000 and simply develop 3DS emulation on Android. Boom, problem solved. Build in Google's live translate to it and you'll be playing Japanese 3DS games in any language you wish!
  • Like 2