Sign in to follow this  
solo

witch Etrian Odyssey to start with

A few months back i got myself a 2ds xl and now i am trying to decide what Etrian Odyssey game to start with

witch one do you guys suggest to start with

Well, there are a number of ways you can approach the series:

-Etrian 4 is the easiest Etrian game and does the best job of teaching new players the ropes. This one is highly recommended for newcomers to the series, and I completely agree on that.

-Etrian Untold: The Millennium Girl is a remake of the first game, and offers two ways to play - Story mode that features a set group of characters with an altered story of the original game, or Classic mode which lets you experience the original game with all the bells and whistles of the remake.

-Etrian 5 is another great starting point. It has some of the best balancing in the series, and every playable class is pretty flexible on how you build them. Once you reach the 3rd stratum, you can further customize classes in specialized roles. Like 4, it does a good job showing new players the ropes.

-Etrian Untold 2 and Nexus are better left until you are more accustomed to the series. Both games are fine and a newcomer should be able to get into them alright, but from my experience these two are more for players who are experienced with the series. Both games throw some pretty rough challenges at you, and to newcomers they may be major turn offs.

So in short, Etrian 4 would be the best starting point due to it being the easiest game in the series (but that doesn’t mean it won’t be tough) and because of it’s class balancing, Etrian 5 would be a good idea if you want one of the newest entries to start on, and if you want to start from the beginning go with Etrian Untold 1 since it’s a remake of the original game.

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Well, there are a number of ways you can approach the series:

-Etrian 4 is the easiest Etrian game and does the best job of teaching new players the ropes. This one is highly recommended for newcomers to the series, and I completely agree on that.

-Etrian Untold: The Millennium Girl is a remake of the first game, and offers two ways to play - Story mode that features a set group of characters with an altered story of the original game, or Classic mode which lets you experience the original game with all the bells and whistles of the remake.

-Etrian 5 is another great starting point. It has some of the best balancing in the series, and every playable class is pretty flexible on how you build them. Once you reach the 3rd stratum, you can further customize classes in specialized roles. Like 4, it does a good job showing new players the ropes.

-Etrian Untold 2 and Nexus are better left until you are more accustomed to the series. Both games are fine and a newcomer should be able to get into them alright, but from my experience these two are more for players who are experienced with the series. Both games throw some pretty rough challenges at you, and to newcomers they may be major turn offs.

So in short, Etrian 4 would be the best starting point due to it being the easiest game in the series (but that doesn’t mean it won’t be tough) and because of it’s class balancing, Etrian 5 would be a good idea if you want one of the newest entries to start on, and if you want to start from the beginning go with Etrian Untold 1 since it’s a remake of the original game.

The series has always interested me and I've looked at 4 & 5 but I wish they would port them to Switch. The mapping feature on a second screen might be weird to port to the one screen but I'm sure they could find a good way to make it work.

thanks i am gonna start with the remake of the first one Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl luckely its one of the cheeper ones

3 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

The series has always interested me and I've looked at 4 & 5 but I wish they would port them to Switch. The mapping feature on a second screen might be weird to port to the one screen but I'm sure they could find a good way to make it work.

The Etrian team is currently working on the next installment of the series, and more than likely it’s going to be on the Nintendo Switch. They want to take the series in a bit of a new direction since Nexus was the last game they were going to make for a dual screened system, but I have no doubt they’ll find a way to keep the series going going forward. The Etrian team at Atlus always does a good job with the gameplay of the series, so whatever happens with the next installment will surely be just as tight knit and fun to play as all the DS/3DS entries.

You should play 4 and 5 if you can. 5 is one of my favorites from the series and is one I plan to replay soon.

9 hours ago, solo said:

thanks i am gonna start with the remake of the first one Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl luckely its one of the cheeper ones

Good choice. I think you will enjoy either gameplay mode, but since I know you like the Dark Souls series as much as I do I think you would get some good enjoyment out of Classic mode. You get some details of the world and characters, but ultimately it comes down to your interpretation of whether characters are good or bad, right or wrong, and so forth. Either mode is good with Untold 1, so you can’t go wrong either way.

I move letting my mind wander and deciding on how my characters react to situations and interact with one another. That Denizen Guild post of mine in the Writing section is an indication of what I like to do. Feels good to flex your imagination on top of what the game gives you.