Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
muddy120

Have y'all seen any other marketing strategies for DQ XI S besides Smash/Demo?

Recommended Posts

Have you guys seen any TV commericials or Youtube commerials yet for Dragon Quest XI S, or any other marketing of any kind anywhere else besides the Demo and Smash Ultimate?

Edited by muddy120

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess we’re going to ignore how Nintendo has had several minutes of gameplay/cutscenes of the game in each Nintendo Direct they’ve had the last few months, including the one just a few days ago...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Have you guys seen any TV commericials or Youtube commerials yet for Dragon Quest XI S, or any other marketing of any kind anywhere else besides the Demo and Smash Ultimate?
Yes. Yes, I have.
Shitloads.
Boatloads.
Whole train loads.
Honestly, if you haven't seen online marketing for this game, you're either blind or you've turned off targeted marketing completely.

They're putting it in directs. It's mentioned on freaking every gaming website I visit, every podcast I listen to, every podcast I go on as a guest.

Honestly@muddy120 I'm wondering what kind of DQ fan are you. You barely interact with people here. You disappear for months until a new game comes out and then show up with the sole purpose to ask questions and not listen to the answers or be part of the discussions in any way shape or form. It's like you're a Final Fantasy Fanboy that just tries to come here and stir up stuff to make DQ fans question ourselves.

This ain't Red Dead Redemption, pal. It ain't gonna have TV commercials.

It's out there. Out there a ton.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nintendo's marketing strategy rarely deals with TV and Youtube ads these days. They have built such a good platform (direct) that gets people hyped and talking about it. Which they advertise on their own system easily. So there has been a lot of exposure of the game from Nintendo's end. All they have to do is make their own presentation/video and publish it for close to nothing. It practically prints money for them.
 

26 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

 that just tries to come here and stir up stuff to make DQ fans question ourselves.

I stir things up and only end up questioning myself. Surprised you guys haven't told me to leave yet.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

I stir things up and only end up questioning myself. Surprised you guys haven't told me to leave yet.

This guy in question pops in occasionally and asks random marketing and advertising questions related to Dragon Quest. How well is the marketing, what are some ways they can improve. Sometimes hyper specific stuff like this topic. But that’s the maximum amount of his engagement here, so he’s often questioned on what his intentions are.

We generally don’t tell people to leave unless they’re being aggressive or harassing others. And I’ve only ever seen trolls outright banned. As long as you’re polite and respectful you’re welcome here.

Edited by eal
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Nintendo's marketing strategy rarely deals with TV and Youtube ads these days. They have built such a good platform (direct) that gets people hyped and talking about it. Which they advertise on their own system easily. So there has been a lot of exposure of the game from Nintendo's end. All they have to do is make their own presentation/video and publish it for close to nothing. It practically prints money for them.
 
I stir things up and only end up questioning myself. Surprised you guys haven't told me to leave yet.


Love you! Don't go! Haha, this post right here is why you stay, sir.

And I'm not advocating for Muddy to leave. I feel like he's a bot or a Squeenix dude just sent to post questions. No interaction, just questions. I'm advocating for interaction.

Click on his name. Click on his posts. Maybe 2 or 3 posts in the past year haven't been a topic starter.

This guy in question pops in occasionally and asks random marketing and advertising questions related to Dragon Quest. How well is the marketing, what are some ways they can improve. Sometimes hyper specific stuff like this topic. But that’s the maximum amount of his engagement here, so he’s often questioned on what his intentions are.
We generally don’t tell people to leave unless they’re being aggressive or harassing others. And I’ve only ever seen trolls outright banned. As long as you’re polite and respectful you’re welcome here.


Always this. eal stated it well.

Banned? Yeah, that doesn't happen until you start posting about Persona 4's Chie.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

And I'm not advocating for Muddy to leave. I feel like he's a bot or a Squeenix dude just sent to post questions. No interaction, just questions. I'm advocating for interaction.

Click on his name. Click on his posts. Maybe 2 or 3 posts in the past year haven't been a topic starter.

Maybe he needs some new programming. Perhaps then we’ll see some genuine interaction with other members/other parts of the forums. The constant stream of marketing topics gets old real fast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Maybe he needs some new programming. Perhaps then we’ll see some genuine interaction with other members/other parts of the forums. The constant stream of marketing topics gets old real fast.

I honestly don’t mind them all that much because we always respond to them (lol) so there’s conversations happening. Some days can be dry on content.

Edited by eal
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s been an extremely hard push in Japan. A major nationwide “caravan” promotion with Loft department stores, intense promotion with LAWSON convenience stores, lots of POP materials in game/book/electronics/toys shops, comic and magazine promotion, concerts and live events, new merchandise. The push is huge.

Nintendo is doing a great job, but SQEX is trying to keep the energy up for a third release of a two-year-old game in its most successful market, too. And it seems to be working rather well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Plattym3 said:


 

 


Love you! Don't go! Haha, this post right here is why you stay, sir.

And I'm not advocating for Muddy to leave. I feel like he's a bot or a Squeenix dude just sent to post questions. No interaction, just questions. I'm advocating for interaction.

Click on his name. Click on his posts. Maybe 2 or 3 posts in the past year haven't been a topic starter.



Always this. eal stated it well.

Banned? Yeah, that doesn't happen until you start posting about Persona 4's Chie.

 

Reading all these posts are all hilarious on my end, that's the first I've heard that conspiracy. I'm just a DQ fan like you, I'm just back at it again since DQ is on the high right now! Haha lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reading all these posts are all hilarious on my end, that's the first I've heard that conspiracy. I'm just a DQ fan like you, I'm just back at it again since DQ is on the high right now! Haha lol.
Speaking of a DQ high, you gotta watch out for the crash. I was DQ high with Slime Mori Mori 3 last night for 5 hours. Today? Well, I just slept through the Dolphin Show at SeaWorld. Crashed hard on a hard bench seat. DQ crash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/6/2019 at 8:53 PM, Plattym3 said:

Yes. Yes, I have.
Shitloads.
Boatloads.
Whole train loads.
Honestly, if you haven't seen online marketing for this game, you're either blind or you've turned off targeted marketing completely.

They're putting it in directs. It's mentioned on freaking every gaming website I visit, every podcast I listen to, every podcast I go on as a guest.

Honestly@muddy120 I'm wondering what kind of DQ fan are you. You barely interact with people here. You disappear for months until a new game comes out and then show up with the sole purpose to ask questions and not listen to the answers or be part of the discussions in any way shape or form. It's like you're a Final Fantasy Fanboy that just tries to come here and stir up stuff to make DQ fans question ourselves.

This ain't Red Dead Redemption, pal. It ain't gonna have TV commercials.

It's out there. Out there a ton.

Even if it was Red Dead, there's no real need for television commercials in todays day and age.  Network television is a dying medium.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there’s still attention to some programming, but advertising on network television certainly carries less of a guarantee of even being seen than it used to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 1:18 PM, Enclave said:

Even if it was Red Dead, there's no real need for television commercials in todays day and age.  Network television is a dying medium.

Completely true but its still massive, more than you think?

https://www.adweek.com/tv-video/why-tv-still-most-effective-advertising-medium-165247/

https://www.cmo.com/features/articles/2018/9/20/tv-advertising-isnt-deadits-evolving-.html#gs.3cgjs5

Granted that was 4 years ago so I wonder what they would say if they did a study today with that second link being more modern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.marketingcharts.com/featured-24817/attachment/nielsen-traditional-tv-viewing-trends-18-24-yo-q12011-q22017-dec2017

Since 2014, trends show slowing in rates of reduced watchers from 2014 onward, so there's that, at least until 2017, and it's probably similar in rates.  If you check Neilson ratings, there hasn't been much change since 2016 to 2018 in total viewership for the network channels, and only a slight decline in cable channels.  I'll see if I can find a study rather than let you guys just look through the Neilson ratings.

Online numbers are also misleading, as online counts are per view, not per individual viewer.  So if someone rewatches the same media, each time = 1 view, and regardless of total length of session, like if it checks just on loading the video and playing it, or if tracking is done if the video passes a certain watch threshold, such as 5~10%?, or a fixed number based on general length like 1 minute for a video 3~10 minutes long, or something like that.  Youtube, and most of the sites based on it's platform format, track when you start the play button and load beyond the initial loading point (used to track when you clicked on a video at all and started loading it as they used to load the full video up front), regardless how long you watch (they track that too, but that doesn't represent in view counts, only in detailed stats, such as average watching time, so creators can learn how to tweak videos to improve total full length viewership).

That said, TV is dying, but it's a very slow death, and with new services that provide actual TV, like Youtube/Hulu TV and Sling, it's being reset and restarted with a fresh new face, and those numbers aren't counted in the TV ratings, which they should be, as they're not standard streaming services.  Nevermind Xfinity starting the ballgame with their streaming services to co-op what Comcast saw as the eventual shift to full online TV.  Though right now your ISP can't support this in full HD (avg bandwitch limits are 1~2 TB per month, and that fills up FAST these days if you stream a lot, not so much with online gaming as you'd think, but streaming high-quality Netflix/Hulu/etc. eats up the majority for most, Torrenting for others).

Meaning while TV is dying, it's also reviving and taking a form that isn't being counted in the statistics.  The problem is the cost per commercial hour is ridiculous for TV.  Channels shell out WAY too much for top talent.  Much like movies do, and we're seeing similar ad-space problems of costs going way up.  Look at the Super Bowl.  It was 1m for ad space a few years ago, now it's 5m two years ago, and who knows now?  I wouldn't be shocked to hear 10m.

There's also a lot more channels competing for an audience that's now just shy of 100% active, with the only new customers being people coming out of high school/college, which at this rate is a negative replacement value as the old customers die (death to birth rates teter below or just above replacement rates now in Western nations), those from outside the country moving in, or stealing customers from competitors.  Same with mobile cell service.  There isn't any real room for growth.

There will likely be a happy medium, especially as large overarching services will likely take precedence over multiple accounts for mulitple services, with maybe one or two special streaming services.  Maybe Netflix and/or Disney.  Disney is definitely the big dog in the room, especially as they've swallowed up almost 40% of the competition, and have the largest market share of any studio, by far.  However it's unlikely they'll devour all of television, and if Netflix has to switch to a channel instead of a standard service (they might have to at some point given lack of growth), it's more likely services like Youtube TV and Sling will pick up market share, and Xfinity will have to reduce prices to compete (right now they don't).

Satellite will always be around for rural communities, or those who live too far away to run broadband or high definition TV (for now), or to properly connect to any area-wide wifi service.

====

Really though, I'll have to look into it...doubtful, too much on my plate atm, and I've spent too much time with this post as it is, but the biggest hurdle with TV isn't the customer base, it's the cost per commercial space for prime-time, and the blocks just before prime-time, when the kids get home from school.  That costs a LOT compared to yesteryear.  Plus predicting market's is more complex.

Online marketing is cheaper, and for Nintendo, they tend to prefer using their internal network to market to the crowds who already pay attention, and only shell out for commercials for any game they know will sell 1m+ at the least.  Xenoblade Chronicles X, 2, and Torna are the only exceptions, because it's a MINIMUM of 750k sales now for that series, so clearly they feel it's worth the cost.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2019 at 5:22 AM, muddy120 said:

Completely true but its still massive, more than you think?

https://www.adweek.com/tv-video/why-tv-still-most-effective-advertising-medium-165247/

https://www.cmo.com/features/articles/2018/9/20/tv-advertising-isnt-deadits-evolving-.html#gs.3cgjs5

Granted that was 4 years ago so I wonder what they would say if they did a study today with that second link being more modern.


I know it's anecdotal but fact is that literally the only people I know that have cable today?  They're all people my parents age.  Everybody else I know dropped television for Netflix.

Television advertising is dying.  Of course a lot of it is just transitioning to advertising to people online but regardless, on TV?  Eh, just not as effective as it once was in my view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...