Sign in to follow this  
ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega

Is this anyone else's first NEW game in the series since IX?

I'm not referring to all the ports/re-releases but rather next new chronological installment of the series.

I never played X. I know many have but I've never tried it and the subscription/MMO RPG aspect put me off entirely. I'm not a fan of that stuff.

So, leaving the 3DS ports of VII and VIII aside, XI is my first new game since IX. Wow...ten years already...

Is this anyone else's first since IX?

• Like 1

It’s my first since “Dragon Warrior III” when I was 12 or 13. And it’s got me back in such a big way!

I think I just really love the Luminary. Somebody else on here was talking about how he somehow feels more defined than the other Erdrick-lineage Heroes, and I agree. I want to protect him the way his friends do. I love all of the companions the way the Luminary does. I am just so ready to be IN this. I have already spent a significant amount of both money and time on DQ merch in recent months, not even counting the Roto Edition console for which I am very impatiently waiting.

I haven’t played DQ in decades, but all of the love of video games I had as a child is somehow being poured into this title/series right now, and I’m loving it. I can’t wait to play the original trilogy as “dessert” after finishing DQXI S.

Nope. But you could say that DQ VIII was my "first" game. I did play Dragon Warrior many years before when I was very young. When I first played I was too young to be able to fully read the game. I had spent a lot of time killing slimes and trying to explore the world without knowing the concept of equipment lol. I did try to play the game when I was able to read when I was 9. But my attention span didn't amount to much with the game.

When DQVIII arrived, I had so much fun out of it that I started seeking out other games. I was heavily fatigued by Final Fantasy at that point and wanted something I KNOW would offer a similar experience. I had a friend who had a copy of VII and I borrowed it and ended up playing through the game in a Summer. When the DS games came out I picked those up immediately and played through IV, and V. I didn't get far into VI. At this point I had developed a love for the series and was a fan since.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JustACorpse said:

It’s my first since “Dragon Warrior III” when I was 12 or 13. And it’s got me back in such a big way!

I think I just really love the Luminary. Somebody else on here was talking about how he somehow feels more defined than the other Erdrick-lineage Heroes, and I agree. I want to protect him the way his friends do. I love all of the companions the way the Luminary does. I am just so ready to be IN this. I have already spent a significant amount of both money and time on DQ merch in recent months, not even counting the Roto Edition console for which I am very impatiently waiting.

I haven’t played DQ in decades, but all of the love of video games I had as a child is somehow being poured into this title/series right now, and I’m loving it. I can’t wait to play the original trilogy as “dessert” after finishing DQXI S.

Wow, your first since III, huh? Will you be catching up with the other titles? I envy you being a first-timer as you're in for a big treat if you decide to catch up on the other titles.

I agree with you on the Luminary. There's just something about him. I honestly haven't cared this much for a DQ main hero since V. V was the only other game in the series where I felt very strongly for the Hero and wanted nothing but happiness for him. If you're looking for another DQ game where you'll care for the hero, V is your best bet, in my opinion.

There is definitely something about this Luminary that struck me from the moment I saw him. I think the added facial expressions help but there's more to it than that--this there is this air of innocence to him--this complete and utter naivety. He's both noble and brave. He's the type who looks like he'd climb a tree just to save a little girl's pet cat. You want this kid to make it back to Cobblestone and his love interest, Gemma, in one piece.

I even found myself feeling badly for him in Heliodore.

I also love his dynamic with Erik and how Erik felt an instant loyalty to him, willing to follow this prodigy through to the end.

While I'm not far in the demo, I'm loving how fleshed out the characters seem in this installment. Somehow, everything feels more fleshed out than usual. The townspeople are as quirky as ever and I love exploring the large world map.

This game puts me in a good mood every time I fire it up. I already have my pre-order set and can't wait to try out 2D mode. :)

Anyway, if you can't afford all at once, I'd definitely recommend V as your next entry if you're looking for a protagonist to truly care about.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, JustACorpse said:

Not sure if you a fan but if the Luminary had more of a personality I've always seen him as an INFP. https://www.personalitypage.com/INFP.html

Edited by muddy120

12 hours ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

…I agree with you on the Luminary. There's just something about him. I honestly haven't cared this much for a DQ main hero since V. V was the only other game in the series where I felt very strongly for the Hero and wanted nothing but happiness for him. If you're looking for another DQ game where you'll care for the hero, V is your best bet, in my opinion.

There is definitely something about this Luminary that struck me from the moment I saw him. I think the added facial expressions help but there's more to it than that--this there is this air of innocence to him--this complete and utter naivety. He's both noble and brave. He's the type who looks like he'd climb a tree just to save a little girl's pet cat. You want this kid to make it back to Cobblestone and his love interest, Gemma, in one piece.

I even found myself feeling badly for him in Heliodore.

I also love his dynamic with Erik and how Erik felt an instant loyalty to him, willing to follow this prodigy through to the end.

While I'm not far in the demo, I'm loving how fleshed out the characters seem in this installment. Somehow, everything feels more fleshed out than usual…

Yes! “Innocence” and “nobility”. That’s exactly it. For me, the Luminary feels like the male aspirational equivalent of a Disney princess. For all its critics, The Black Cauldron was the one time we, boys, had a character kind of like that in a big animated film.

So often our heroes are violent and aggressive in a way that never appealed to me. Although I loved GI Joe and Transformers (Autobots being relatively pacifist, to be fair), the shining examples that I’ve cherished were The Neverending Story’s Bastian/Atreyu, Westley from The Princess Bride, Luke Skywalker, Marty McFly, Galtar, Ren, even Ferris Bueller and of course Harry Potter. Prince Adam was great, but I didn’t like He-Man as much. Lion-O was interesting as a boy and when he got much older, but he spent a lot of time being a “look at me flex” jerk; I liked Tygra.

Girls got so many more adventure stories that were about mystery, romance, and humor. Most of our adventures were big muscles and big guns and big explosions. Sometimes with big puff puffs. I just wasn’t into it.

My devotion to the Luminary was not immediate, though. At first, I found his design a bit bland. If I’m honest, I’ve tended to find Toriyama-san’s designs a little generic and repetitive until this game. I’ve never really loved Slimes… until now. The turning point for me was probably Erik, more on that in a minute, and then Jade. Ah, Jade. She’s just so incredible. I know so little about her, but I cannot wait to really know her. Her intensity in the commercials, and wondering why this amazing, mysterious woman is so committed to this guy really fascinated me.

And then there’s Erik. In my read of the game, Erik is definitely the Luminary’s true love and destined partner. That’s another major appeal for me with the Definitive Edition, having that option. If there was a shortage of male adventure characters who were not brawny action tropes, there was a near-complete absence of heroes who were not overtly and explicitly straight. If those I mentioned, only Bastian/Atreyu, Galtar, and Ren are even possibilities.

When I saw scenes like Erik shielding the Luminary with his arm shortly after their meeting, the way Erik introduces himself, their escape by jumping off a cliff together, Erik the lone wolf thief doubling back toward danger to take the Luminary by the hand to ride his horse together, their rest at the baths after they escape, 

revisiting Cobblestone with Erik who demonstrates sincere respect for sharing this intimate moment and a strong desire to protect the Luminary from painful memories, Erik being captured and rescued by the Luminary, the “wedding rehearsal” in the retro games section

…it goes on and on.

For a player who doesn’t care about or even, for whatever reason, actively dislikes this interpretation of their relationship, Gemma provides a “safe” alternative and a genuinely likable/lovable one. In the Definitive Edition, there are apparently even other alternatives.

But for me, every one of the story beats between Erik and the Luminary follows a clearly established trope used to telegraph romance, just usually between a male/female pairing. The idea of playing such an epic romance, saving the world alongside, rescuing, and living with the fairytale prince, rather than princess… Well, that’s something I honestly didn’t think I’d be able to experience until and unless I made it myself. I am immensely grateful the option exists. I hope it’s not a cop out. Erik is the number one most popular pairing among Japanese fans, and the marriage/cohabitation option has been opened up, so I’m very hopeful.

Don't get me wrong. I love Gemma, but I see her as a beloved childhood best friend who had a one-sided crush. When

she cries and runs away,

it even seems to me like she herself understands this, while the Luminary doesn’t know what romance is until he meets Erik. I love how their basic outfits even complement each other as well — colors, textures, drape, and hoods. The first winner of the Japanese screenshot contest was announced yesterday:

2LRW8wh.jpg

Again, for anyone who hates this idea or just isn’t into it, the beauty is that they have the option of not reading the game this way. But for those of us who have spent our entire lives seeing this kind of innocent, predestined fairytale romance as “straight-only”, this is a big, beautiful gift. It isn’t sexy like Dragon Age and Mass Effect. Similar to the way boys get “‘roided up” action heroes, gay boys get “sexed up” romance. It’s kind of gross.  With Erik and the Luminary, it’s that pure love borne of friendship and respect, innocence and nobility, organically destined — the kind of “meant to be” love that instills the concept of romance for most kids, and that almost never includes gay people.

And then there are the other companions. Serena and Veronica, Sylvando, and Rab are all just as interesting and lovable as Jade and Erik. The whole cast is amazing. The minor characters and NPCs also look to have tons of personality, and the diversity of locales is something I’m very excited to see.

I just can’t wait to play this game. I hope it doesn’t disappoint.

I hope this read doesn’t turn anyone off from this game. If anyone thinks it might, let me know and I’ll delete this. I’ve hesitated to share this line of thinking because I really want this game to succeed and I would deeply regret saying anything that might cause any potential player to pass on it.

Edited by JustACorpse

4 hours ago, muddy120 said:

Not sure if you a fan but if the Luminary had more of a personality I've always seen him as an INFP. https://www.personalitypage.com/INFP.html

Do you mean a fan of the Myers Briggs approach? I know it isn’t perfect and I get the impression it’s seen as naive these days, but I’ve always found it a useful tool for thinking about myself, people, and characters. As long as you don’t use it conclusively, I still think it’s useful. I’ll have to actually play the game before I can say how I’d assess the Luminary, though.

But I will indeed have fun doing that once I’m done. Thanks for the idea!

Yep, didn't play X. 

Played the hell out of Heroes I and II, the VII and VIII remakes, etc. 

But other than that yeah, XI is my first since IX

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Yep, didn't play X. 

Played the hell out of Heroes I and II, the VII and VIII remakes, etc. 

But other than that yeah, XI is my first since IX

I read an article a couple weeks ago that discussed the possibility of an offline Dragon Quest X for us here in the west. Nothing definitive but there is talk.

30 minutes ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

I read an article a couple weeks ago that discussed the possibility of an offline Dragon Quest X for us here in the west. Nothing definitive but there is talk.

I would much rather have online included with it. It would be better then nothing though.

10 hours ago, Twinkie said:

I would much rather have online included with it. It would be better then nothing though.

I want X so I can finally finish my collection. It irks me to no end that my DQ collection jumps from IX to XI.

I'm not shedding any tears over the offline part. I always hated the idea of having to pay a subscription just to play that game and I think the prices/short ranges of time for said subscriptions is ridiculous. Overpriced to ridiculous levels. Just my view of it.

• Like 1

When IX came out I wasn't really into DQ yet. So XI last year was actually the first time I was present for the first release of a main title DQ game.

On 9/6/2019 at 9:52 AM, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

I'm not referring to all the ports/re-releases but rather next new chronological installment of the series.

I never played X. I know many have but I've never tried it and the subscription/MMO RPG aspect put me off entirely. I'm not a fan of that stuff.

So, leaving the 3DS ports of VII and VIII aside, XI is my first new game since IX. Wow...ten years already...

Is this anyone else's first since IX?

If you don't mind following a translation guide and spending the money, I would recommend playing X. It isn't like other MMOs. It's a lot more like DQIX online.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'd love an offline DQX. I hate dealing with people online. I don't wanna talk to anyone online.
  • Upvote 1

I'd love an offline DQX. I hate dealing with people online. I don't wanna talk to anyone online.
You don't have to interact with anyone online if you don't want to. Its perdectly playable solo.

But to me, an offline X wouldn't be as much fun.

You don't have to interact with anyone online if you don't want to. Its perdectly playable solo.

But to me, an offline X wouldn't be as much fun.
Haha. While it's true I'd prefer offline and no subscription ever, I was joking about talking to people online.

Since I'm basically doing that here. 22,000 times over 15 years!

Haha. While it's true I'd prefer offline and no subscription ever, I was joking about talking to people online.

Since I'm basically doing that here. 22,000 times over 15 years!
I doubt they could do a subscription and actually suceed. Saigan keeps suggesting they bundle it with the FF MMO subscription. I would pay for it though.

You need a sarcasm tag in like all of your posts

On 9/26/2019 at 7:53 PM, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

Really?

Do we have any info on the source?

2 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Really?

There have been a few times where the director of DQ10 has said he’d like to see an overseas release of the game in some form. I’ll have to look for it, but I know there’s one or two articles where he has said there may be a possibility for a western offline release.

22 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

Really?

18 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

There have been a few times where the director of DQ10 has said he’d like to see an overseas release of the game in some form. I’ll have to look for it, but I know there’s one or two articles where he has said there may be a possibility for a western offline release.

Here you go.

33 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

33 minutes ago, Dakhil said:

How appropriate the Platinum Jewel King outpaced the Metal Slime in posting that. 😜

• Like 2

My first DQ since IX and it's blowing my mind! I'm about 25 hours in and just entered two new towns while exploring (spoiler marked to be safe):

Spoiler

Octagonia and the Spanish port town

and I'm having a great time with it. Stronger Monsters is the way to go for anyone who enjoyed any of the original DQ releases' difficulty level.

Are these towns pretty much the best RPG towns ever? I'm kind of in awe at how gorgeous and sprawling they are, and there's so much detail in every interior. Seamless transitions too.

Edited by TriforceBun
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Oh hi TriforceBun. Long time no post.

On 9/29/2019 at 3:18 PM, AustNerevar said:

When IX came out I wasn't really into DQ yet. So XI last year was actually the first time I was present for the first release of a main title DQ game.

If you don't mind following a translation guide and spending the money, I would recommend playing X. It isn't like other MMOs. It's a lot more like DQIX online.

If they release it here offline I'll definitely buy it. The subscription aspect turns me off more than anything. That and PC gaming. Like with DQXI Definitive Edition, I'll bide my time because I have a strong feeling we WILL get DQX here one day in some form.

On 9/29/2019 at 9:25 PM, Plattym3 said:
On 9/26/2019 at 10:53 PM, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

Me, too. I'd imagine they wouldn't give us an offline DQX until they release the last of those story extension updates, huh? I know they'll release it here. DQXI has really gained some notoriety here in the US with many new DQ fans hopping on board. DQX LOOKS like XI in many ways, which also helps its chances.

I'll sit and wait for this one. I knew they'd release XI for switch when I first heard XI was coming to PS4. I knew if I was patient it would arrive. Same thing here. It will come. :) 

13 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Oh hi TriforceBun. Long time no post.

Hiya. Long time no (new) DQ! But XI's release has gotten me all hyped up, and I'm glad I waited for the Switch version to finally try it out.

• Upvote 1