Sign in to follow this  
muddy120

Do demos lead to game sales?

There have been recent studies that it actually hurts game sales. Players either get their fill and don't buy the game or they learn they don't like it. Sure some are probably baited in by a demo but in today's consumer culture, players are probably more likely to make an impulse buy about something they haven't tested out themselves.

20 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

There have been recent studies that it actually hurts game sales. Players either get their fill and don't buy the game or they learn they don't like it. Sure some are probably baited in by a demo but in today's consumer culture, players are probably more likely to make an impulse buy about something they haven't tested out themselves.

I would actually be really curious to check out one of those studies.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, muddy120 said:

Does releasing demos help video game sales and lead to them upon anticipating release?

Bravely Default

Monster Hunter Stories

Radiant History Perfect Chronology

those are the most recent ones where demos made a difference to me.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/game-demos-can-hurt-sales-suggests-research/1100-6410863/

There are major issues with that study, definitely.  VERY limited and comparing just 1 system's data from ages ago.  I'd take that with a larger grain of salt than the DQH3 rumor on 4chan.  I'd say the demo needs to be PART of the marketing strategy, it can't just exist in a vaccum.

1 hour ago, eal said:

I would actually be really curious to check out one of those studies.

Meant to quote you. Linked above.

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

I only found that 1 study.

• Like 1

Based on my own experience, I'd say they help. There have been several games that I wound up buying only after playing the demo. Sometimes video isn't enough.

Even DQXI was helped by this demo. Sure, I always intended to buy this game when it was localized for Switch, but not this early. The demo has been so mesmerizing that I knew I couldn't stop there...so I turned what was supposed to be a November birthday purchase into a Day 1 purchase.

• Like 1

I  think the genre plays a really big part of it as well. I remember hearing that Puyo Puyo Tetris suffered from poorer sales because of the demo. They were pretty generous with the demo to the point that many players just felt like they got their worth out of it without the need of buying the game. It sounds like more puzzle oriented games suffer from poorer sales with demos.

When it comes to RPGs I think it does increase sales and generate more interest. But this is just pure speculation on my part.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Twinkie said:

I  think the genre plays a really big part of it as well. I remember hearing that Puyo Puyo Tetris suffered from poorer sales because of the demo. They were pretty generous with the demo to the point that many players just felt like they got their worth out of it without the need of buying the game. It sounds like more puzzle oriented games suffer from poorer sales with demos.

When it comes to RPGs I think it does increase sales and generate more interest. But this is just pure speculation on my part.

I agree with you.

RPG's are time-consuming games and the thought of a sizable demo WITH transfer ability to the full game is quite enticing.

• Like 2

That's definitely a valid point. I played a ton of the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo, but never bought it because I didn't feel the need to. On the other hand, I played the Snipperclips demo and opted to buy that one.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Twinkie said:

I would argue it’s because of the unique nature of Puyo Puyo Tetris. Almost nobody knows Puyo Puyo gameplay but there are millions of Tetris stans. Fans of Tetris likely gave it a whirl and decided they didn’t like the fusion of gameplay and opted out.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, eal said:

I would argue it’s because of the unique nature of Puyo Puyo Tetris. Almost nobody knows Puyo Puyo gameplay but there are millions of Tetris stans. Fans of Tetris likely gave it a whirl and decided they didn’t like the fusion of gameplay and opted out.

That could very well be in part of it. But a lot of people who played the demo felt like they didn't have to buy the game since they felt it offered everything they have. It also didn't help that there is a glitch that allows you to play the locked multiplayer modes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/65g1zy/puyo_puyo_tetris_demo_bug_allows_you_to_play/

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/6069a4/after_playing_the_puyopuyo_demo_do_i_even_need_to/

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/alwiyt/the_puyo_puyo_tetris_demo_is_probably_the_best/

• Like 1

I agree; I think it depends on the type of game. A non-narrative game that’s kind of designed as a fun time killer should probably limit its demo to a couple of levels, with minimal use of diverse features. If someone likes the mechanics, they’ll still get bored with playing the same two levels over and over, so maybe buy the game.

Trying to reach a wide audience and mainstream success with a 100~200+ hour old school JRPG, post smartphone games, and I think giving people a taste of how great this game experience can be was a smart move. I’ve seen a lot of people online saying the demo pushed them over the edge; some from just blind curiosity with no preconceived ideas, that they’re definitely getting this game and that it will be their first but probably not last Dragon Quest.

I think the demo was very smart. I wish it hadn’t had technical issues for so many people, but some seemed to have none, and I haven’t seen anyone say the crashes turned them off actually purchasing the game.

• Like 1

I'd think it depends on the genre.  A game like Dragon Quest XI I imagine the demo should help.  They get you interested in the story, it pulls you in and you can use your already existing progress in the main game.

If a game though has no story and is just a pure gameplay type of game?  Well, you have the demo already if you want that kind of gameplay soooooo what's the point of the main product?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1