Jump to content

"Dragon Quest I, II, and II coming to Switch on September 27 in Japan"


Recommended Posts

Just now, Dakhil said:

Ugh. Just what I don't want to purchase again.  I think I may skip this one finally.  I'm already rebuying DQXI for Switch, I'm not in any way needing a 4th copy of these games.

That is good news for DQ though, both NA & Europe!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Ugh. Just what I don't want to purchase again.  I think I may skip this one finally.  I'm already rebuying DQXI for Switch, I'm not in any way needing a 4th copy of these games.

That is good news for DQ though, both NA & Europe!

The Switch is basically a Best-Of-Gaming-History port machine to me, with a few of its own original and indie games thrown in to beef it up, so the idea of accumulating a big catalog of classic games to take on the go appeals to me, so I’m all for it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah man. I just looked up the details for the western announcement and all three games are download only for the western release. I was really hoping they’d be like “SURPRISE, PHYSICAL COPY!” Maybe that will happen at a later date, kind of like with the Collection of Mana getting a physical release a few months after the eshop release.

I suppose if all else you could just import a Japanese copy since it will have English text as an option. At the least I would be up for buying DQ3 on its own.

Link to post
Share on other sites
I didn't realize they'd "smoothed" the pixels...dealbreaker for me
I'm pretty sure they just straight inserted Toriyama's art. It does look out of place.
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AustNerevar said:
15 minutes ago, JLG said:
I didn't realize they'd "smoothed" the pixels...dealbreaker for me

I'm pretty sure they just straight inserted Toriyama's art. It does look out of place.

Looks like they also redrew the field sprites to be less pixelated

spacer.png

It's not as bad as the SNES FF mobile versions I guess, but I don't know why they'd bother 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am so happy this is happening so I can play these games again with the current translation without having to put up with touch controls.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not seen anything regarding a PS4 release yet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If the PS4 versions were going to be released, I think it would have happened already.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the only reason we're getting the Switch versions is because Nintendo is paying for it I'm sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah, the only reason we're getting the Switch versions is because Nintendo is paying for it I'm sure.
I'm not so sure if that's necessarily the case since Square Enix is the publisher for Dragon Quest I, Dragon Quest II, and Dragon Quest III in the West for Nintendo Switch, not Nintendo.

It's certainly possible Nintendo paid Square Enix to publish Dragon Quest I, Dragon Quest II, and Dragon Quest III for the Nintendo Switch in the West. But I imagine Nintendo would want to pay for publishing rights in the West, like with Dragon Quest Builders, Dragon Quest Builders 2, and Dragon Quest XI S.
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm loving my Switch more and more each passing day. I haven't owned a Playstation since PS2 and NEVER owned an Xbox...I have zero regrets. Nintendo IS what video games are all about in my view.

It's great to see Nintendo really selling the Switch with all these collections. While I hate what they did to the character/monster models, I WILL still buy these since I loved the phone ports but always lamented over touchscreen. I only hope for IV-IX ports for Switch along with an offline X western release so I can finally own the entire series on ONE console instead of having to whip several consoles out for each replay.

I still love to this day how they updated I and II with VI engine graphics. I can see why they used the VI engine for XI's 2D mode: it's one of the best engines for 2D in this series.

22 minutes ago, Dakhil said:

I'm not so sure if that's necessarily the case since Square Enix is the publisher for Dragon Quest I, Dragon Quest II, and Dragon Quest III in the West for Nintendo Switch, not Nintendo.

It's certainly possible Nintendo paid Square Enix to publish Dragon Quest I, Dragon Quest II, and Dragon Quest III for the Nintendo Switch in the West. But I imagine Nintendo would want to pay for publishing rights in the West, like with Dragon Quest Builders, Dragon Quest Builders 2, and Dragon Quest XI S.

Nintendo is making great decisions with the Switch so far. I have so many complete series compilations on my Switch now and am hoping they'll eventually get all DQ games under the Switch roof.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...