Stuner50

Worst Dragon Quest party in the series? *spoilers*

Worst Dragon Quest Party in the series? *spoilers*  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'd call him worthless, but his name itself would indicated he's only a tad higher than that.
He's such a late and uninteresting addition that he doesn't end up in many peoples rosters. By that point, you're already struggling to balance monsters and the human characters you're attached to. Tuppence has no chance.

2 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
41 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
I'd call him worthless, but his name itself would indicated he's only a tad higher than that.

He's such a late and uninteresting addition that he doesn't end up in many peoples rosters. By that point, you're already struggling to balance monsters and the human characters you're attached to. Tuppence has no chance.

They should have given him access to the various slash abilities as he leveled up. Many then more people would actually try and use him! Haha

Tuppence also look like a generic NPC it doesnt help it's cause while the other human party members have unique designs.

VI would also have my vote. I just didn't care about anything about that game. The characters sure in the hell didn't help with that.

• Like 1

VI would also have my vote. I just didn't care about anything about that game. The characters sure in the hell didn't help with that.
I liked Carver and Milly. The rest were forgettable, even Terry.
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

And yet they put him in every spinoff. Japan is cuckoo for Terry I guess!

2 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

And yet they put him in every spinoff. Japan is cuckoo for Terry I guess!

He’s an edgy pretty boy. In my experience, a lot of people like that archetype.

8 minutes ago, eal said:

He’s an edgy pretty boy. In my experience, a lot of people like that archetype.

Yep. I was moreso making a joke with my post. I get the appeal for Terry since I like him too, though my like for him stems from Dragon Warrior Monsters being my first DQ game and thus he was the first character I was introduced too.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
47 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Carver is the only character I really liked. I do like strong muscle head characters. Terry is just the worse.

I think the developers placed far more time/effort into their giant duel world maps than they did developing the characters.
The game feels like a weak prototype for the far-superior DQVII. DQVII, for the most part, streamlined the duel map system, focused heavily on characters and made it all work SO much better than VI.

I think playing DQVII & loving the characters (Maribel) about a year before I played DQVI played a big part in me thinking that too. Once I had indulged in 7 it's hard to enjoy inferiority.

On 9/6/2019 at 9:57 PM, Plattym3 said:

I think playing DQVII & loving the characters (emoji867.pngMaribel) about a year before I played DQVI played a big part in me thinking that too. Once I had indulged in 7 it's hard to enjoy inferiority.

Very true. That's why I called DQVI a poor prototype of VII. VII basically did everything VI did but on a larger and better scale--ESPECIALLY with characters.

Do you have any theories on why we don't seem to care much for VI's characters? Do you think my suggestion of the whole "dual real/dream world version" of characters has anything to do with it or do you think they perhaps just weren't fleshed out enough? It's odd--I just don't care about VI's characters at all. None of them.

Write in DQ II (NES because the Prince always dies) followed by write in DQ IX (boring) .  I voted VI by default, but it wasn't that bad. It wasn't that memorable however.

I'm shocked V had the lead in the polls just because of the monsters and customization.

On 9/6/2019 at 9:57 PM, Plattym3 said:

I think playing DQVII & loving the characters (emoji867.pngMaribel) about a year before I played DQVI played a big part in me thinking that too. Once I had indulged in 7 it's hard to enjoy inferiority.

Maribel (at least in PSX version) is hilarious in the party chat 😂. "Dave, why is your face all red? What the hell were you doing in there you jerk!"

14 minutes ago, Red Dragon said:

I'm shocked V had the lead in the polls just because of the monsters and customization.

People are voting because of the human party members, not because of the monsters.