FionordeQuester

[DQ6] Strategy Wiki Walkthrough Complete!

Posted (edited)

I'm excited to announce that I've fully completed this 1+ year long project, complete with all of the relevant information provided by Ignasia! 

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Dragon_Quest_VI:_Realms_of_Revelation/Table_of_Contents

This walkthrough was written to accommodate all three versions of the game (SNES, DS, & Mobile).  You can expect to find...

--------------------

1) How to beat the game quickly, with minimal grinding (you'll notice the "recommended levels" are usually fairly low)

2) Detailed strategies & extensive technical information on every boss fight in the game.  Thanks again, Ignasia!

3) Detailed recommendations for which vocations to take for which characters, at various points in the game

3a) Also boss strategies for those who hadn't followed the guide that closely.

4) Every Mini Medal & Dreamscape in the game, in the most efficient order I could think of getting them.

5) Maps, mostly from this site, with all the treasures labeled accordingly (including those changed from SNES to the Remakes)

6) How to easily clear the Best-Dressed Contest, as well as the Slimopolis.

--------------------

So if any of you are starting this game for the first time, or just playing through it again, feel free to use & critique my guide!  I've even proposed that Ignasia join it to his own FAQ, though I dunno if he'll agree or not.  Either way, I'd love to hear what you guys think!

Edited by FionordeQuester
  • Like 2

Congratulations on that!  Being on podcasts recently with people who do this all the time, I've come to appreciate the grind that is making these guides (not that Iggy hasn't informed of the time and effort before!).

Nicely done!

I swear I was just thinking about doing something similar for 5 that covers all versions, but that would require me playing the PS2 version which I haven't yet.

20 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

I swear I was just thinking about doing something similar for 5 that covers all versions, but that would require me playing the PS2 version which I haven't yet.

Really? No joke, I figured you had played the PS2 version by now.

• Like 1

Nope. I've played through the DS, Android, and working on the SNES version.

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:
2 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Hmm... the SNES is a pretty different beast from the remakes, though.  Much easier, for one... and also the 3 PC cap.  Wonder how a walkthrough would account for it AND the remakes?

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:
2 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Huh. Figured you would have played the SNES version too. I only say that and am surprised because you’re the biggest DQ5 fan on the Den.

How is the SNES version? I haven’t played it or the PS2 version of 5, but I’d love to play them at some point.

Hmm... the SNES is a pretty different beast from the remakes, though.  Much easier, for one... and also the 3 PC cap.  Wonder how a walkthrough would account for it AND the remakes?
There would have to be strategies laid out for different versions, making it a gargantuan task, which part of the reason I haven't done it yet. Plus I have noe xperience making guides so maybe I'm not the person to do it

7 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
12 minutes ago, FionordeQuester said:

There would have to be strategies laid out for different versions, making it a gargantuan task, which part of the reason I haven't done it yet. Plus I have noe xperience making guides so maybe I'm not the person to do it

Nah, nah, you won't know till you try.  Just find a guide you like, and imitate it in structure; That's what I'd suggest.

Course, I'd stick to the version you're used to, for now.  Do that first, then write the SNES version guide, then see if the two can be reconciled.

Huh. Figured you would have played the SNES version too. I only say that and am surprised because you’re the biggest DQ5 fan on the Den.
How is the SNES version? I haven’t played it or the PS2 version of 5, but I’d love to play them at some point.
Because V was so special to me I decided to save my second play through for a day long enough so it would be fresher for me. I finally played the mobile port after finishing XI last year. And after discovering retroachievements.org I decided to play 5 SNES to get all the achievements.

In retrospect, this play through would be ideal to build a guide around, but I'm already to Gotha so it's too late now.
  • Upvote 1

Ahh, you posted it here. If only I would read the forums before asking questions. I'll take a look through.

1 hour ago, Bururian said:

Ahh, you posted it here. If only I would read the forums before asking questions. I'll take a look through.

Do ask if anything needs to be cleared up, alright?  Will be helpful for the walkthrough!

35 minutes ago, FionordeQuester said:

Do ask if anything needs to be cleared up, alright?  Will be helpful for the walkthrough!

I'm starting from the Dread Realm so it'll be only a small portion.

I haven't looked in your guide yet, but I have two Classes left that i need to 5 star for the Fungeon, and I don't know what they are (Not Dragon or Metal Slime).

I wish I could find a picture of the room that had each cauldron labeled with what class it is tied to.

1 hour ago, Bururian said:

I'm starting from the Dread Realm so it'll be only a small portion.

I haven't looked in your guide yet, but I have two Classes left that i need to 5 star for the Fungeon, and I don't know what they are (Not Dragon or Metal Slime).

I wish I could find a picture of the room that had each cauldron labeled with what class it is tied to.

Hmm... And you can't find them via the stars in the Class Change prompt, right?  The one that pops up when the guy's asking if you wanna change classes?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, FionordeQuester said:

Hmm... And you can't find them via the stars in the Class Change prompt, right?  The one that pops up when the guy's asking if you wanna change classes?

Hmm, I know it lists who has done what class and how many stars, but everyone has such a smattering I'll have to sit down to figure it out.

Oh I got it. It was one of the advance classes I hadn't unlocked yet. I had Ashlynn as thief as the last of the three needed to unlock it. The other one though still figuring out.

Edited by Bururian

Oh, that's a good idea!  See if your characters can go Gladiator, Paladin, Fighter-Mage (Armamentalist), Sage, Ranger, or Luminary!