I can’t see Erdrea through my own eyes?

I’m shocked now by two things I’d assumed to be true that were a lot of the basis for how I was planning to experience this game. Is there really…

…no zoom in Photo Mode?

…no first-person view? Not even just no zoom, but no first-person camera at all?

I heard about the no-zoom Photo Mode early yesterday. I was very disappointed, but I could deal with it. No first-person view, though, completely destroys the level of immersion I have been anticipating for this game.

I have been planning to fill up my SD card with screenshots of city streets, beautiful vistas, cats on roofs, butterflies, fruit bowls, charming interiors, light on water, light through trees, etc.

I don’t care if there’s a “graphical downgrade” from PC/PS4. What I want is to be able to photograph my journey through a DQ game, especially this one, with the freedom and intimacy of a real road trip. I think FFXV does this? Though, for my personal tastes, FF has lost a lot of the “fantasy”.

I thought this was a sure thing in this game. It’s not even really about the graphics; it’s about pulling me in to the world. It was literally a lifelong dream come true for me to experience a traditional JRPG world in this way. The closest I ever got was Lea Monde in Vagrant Story. It irked me every second of play through FFXII and Pokémon Ultra Sun/Moon that I could not view and photograph in first-person.

I’m truly devastated by this news.

Is there a first-person view on PS4? What about PC?

I bought a Switch for this game, but without this functionality, I’m afraid that virtually every moment of the experience, I’m going to feel limitation, frustration, disappointment, and regret. For me personally, the ability to screenshot and photograph the journey through my personal point of view was the heart of the experience I was paying for.

Edited by JustACorpse
3 minutes ago, JustACorpse said:

Is there a first-person view on PS4?

Yes there is.

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Yes there is.

Thank you. So then it’s not about stopping players from zooming on “boobies”… Except… Nintendo, so maybe.

If it’s concern about the graphics, that’s ridiculous. The game looks gorgeous! If, like me, you never played PC/PS4, you are not gonna feel anything other than delight about how this game looks!

Why would they do this? It’s like not including 2D in the demo. Why remove the opportunity to hook people with the most charming features of this particular game? I really don’t get it.

Edited by JustACorpse

Thank you. So then it’s not about stopping players from zooming on “boobies”… Except… Nintendo, so maybe.

Just to keep everyone abreast of developments, Nintendo doesn't give a #$*! about that anymore. They've got Moreo Chronicles on Switch where every monster is a dick and all the games with rubbing mechanics are releasing unsensored while Sony is going very very conservative.
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Just to keep everyone abreast of developments, Nintendo doesn't give a #$*! about that anymore. They've got Moreo Chronicles on Switch where every monster is a dick and all the games with rubbing mechanics are releasing unsensored while Sony is going very very conservative.

Yeah, this is old news. The Switch has Senran Kagura Reflextions, a literal groping simulator (and no, I’m not being hyperbolic on this), Panty Party, where you play as a pair of women’s underwear, and Omega Labyrinth Life, a game where your character’s boobs get bigger as you progress (and I heard those rubbing mechanics from the canceled one are in this game).

• Like 2
If it’s concern about the graphics, that’s ridiculous. The game looks gorgeous! If, like me, you never played PC/PS4, you are not gonna feel anything other than delight about how this game looks!
Why would they do this? It’s like not including 2D in the demo. Why remove the opportunity to hook people with the most charming features of this particular game? I really don’t get it.
The original PC/PS4 release wouldn't let you zoom in on only 2 monsters in the bestiary: Krystalinda and the bat demon girl thing. Those two entries were the only ones with ample bosomage on display.
  • Like 2
On 8/24/2019 at 5:13 AM, eal said:

Yeah, this is old news. The Switch has Senran Kagura Reflextions, a literal groping simulator (and no, I’m not being hyperbolic on this), Panty Party, where you play as a pair of women’s underwear, and Omega Labyrinth Life, a game where your character’s boobs get bigger as you progress (and I heard those rubbing mechanics from the canceled one are in this game).

Yep.  Ever since the GC, Nintendo hasn't done much to censor.  Most censorship is internal to 3rd parties, or prior to a game's official release, or some stupid shenanigans with Treehouse related to stupid SJW bs, like changing a Native American to a Cowboy (which in and of itself would be more insulting, saying a Cowboy is more acceptable in the US), in Bravely Second.  One other for Fire Emblem and some tweaks, some of which made sense given the concept of "age of consent" is very different in the West.  Same with Xenoblade Chronicles X and a certain 13-year old female outfit that was very revealing, being censored in the West, only because she's classified as a child here.  That ended soon after, with all the media buzz, and several people associated with Treehouse who where part of those decisions were lambasted in the open, and either left, were forced out (due to other reason), and were clearly taken out of decision making processing.  FE's last two releases have been without incident that I'm aware of.

So unless it's something like a difference in viewpoints on sexualization of minors, Nintendo isn't going to touch it.  Blood, guts, gore, sexy scenes, even revealing clothing is totally on the table now.

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 1
On 8/24/2019 at 8:22 AM, AustNerevar said:
On 8/23/2019 at 10:25 PM, JustACorpse said:

The original PC/PS4 release wouldn't let you zoom in on only 2 monsters in the bestiary: Krystalinda and the bat demon girl thing. Those two entries were the only ones with ample bosomage on display.

Or Masked Jade, Whambelina, Cinderella, Malicious Whambelina/Cinderella, or Jinxed Jade for that matter.  I never knew that.  Though you can get an under-the-dress shot of Gemma and for the short period Serena is a guest character, Serena.  Plus in battle you can get the same Zoom in for the Krystalinda and Jinxed Jade fights that are available for other fights, with the default camera that moves with you.  Though it isn't much of a zoom, it's there.

Edited by ignasia

I’m really so disappointed about this, it’s affecting my excitement for the game. It feels like a huge loss, and the opposite of the DQ Team’s own stated values and goals.

At Pax West, one of the panelists from SQEX was asked what are the defining elements of a DQ experience? I believe only one panelist answered, and he answered with one particular phrase: “seeing and thinking from the player’s perspective”.

He went on to talk about how Horii-san himself would review their ideas, in which he says of course they were really thinking from the player’s perspective, and Horii-san would encourage them to think more, dive deeper into that point of view 

How, then, does the “Definitive Edition” remove this feature?

I just can’t understand it…

There are no words. I am just a corpse.

• Like 1

I'm flabbergasted at the very thought of doing a J-RPG in a first person view personally. A DQ even more so. Builders 2 offered this possibility, and it was nightmarish. 

1 hour ago, Xiggy said:

I'm flabbergasted at the very thought of doing a J-RPG in a first person view personally. A DQ even more so. Builders 2 offered this possibility, and it was nightmarish. 

I don’t mean a first-person mode of play. That would be AWFUL. No.

I mean having the option to frame and zoom on the world (and ideally to take screenshots) in first-person.

In no way would I ever advocate for an FPS-style Dragon Quest experience. Yuck. I am definitely not talking about anything like that.

Edited by JustACorpse
  • Like 1
On 8/23/2019 at 11:05 PM, JustACorpse said:

I’m truly devastated by this news.

Good.

I'm glad the game doesn't have this feature. You deserve to suffer.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, JustACorpse said:

I am definitely not talking about anything like that.

Aaah my bad then! 😅

I mean, Skyrim was somewhat playable in first-person mode, but it clearly wasn't ideal in my opinion. 

However I now get what you mean. The streets of Dalmasca and others towns of FFXII (Bujerba etc) would have been great to see as if you were seeing them through your eyes indeed. I can only suppose the same would apply to DQXI. 

• Upvote 1
4 hours ago, Xiggy said:

😅

I mean, Skyrim was somewhat playable in first-person mode, but it clearly wasn't ideal in my opinion.

Wait. There's people that play TES games in 3rd person? That's so weird to me.

2 minutes ago, GrandAlchemist said:

They like those janky ass Bethesda movements for their character.

29 minutes ago, GrandAlchemist said:

Aye. Well, there's a the very least one French person (me) who does so. 

I like seeing all around me when I play. And 3rd person view is the best way to do so. :D

• Like 2

Yes, it's a shame. Erdrea is easily the most beautiful world this series has ever featured. I just love looking at it. I especially love the little details such as: moss growing on the houses in Cobblestone, light shining on water, etc.

Dragon Quest has never looked this good so it would feel appropriate to have better viewing options.

• Upvote 1
31 minutes ago, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

Yes, it's a shame. Erdrea is easily the most beautiful world this series has ever featured. I just love looking at it. I especially love the little details such as: moss growing on the houses in Cobblestone, light shining on water, etc.

Dragon Quest has never looked this good so it would feel appropriate to have better viewing options.

Especially since it was already added and this is the Definitive Edition. I just cannot understand removing this feature. I understand wanting to highlight and encourage the new Photo Mode, which I truly appreciate. But I don’t see how it requires removing the existing first-person view.

I hope it’s there in the full release.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, JustACorpse said:

Especially since it was already added and this is the Definitive Edition. I just cannot understand removing this feature. I understand wanting to highlight and encourage the new Photo Mode, which I truly appreciate. But I don’t see how it requires removing the existing first-person view.

I hope it’s there in the full release.

I hope so, too. DQXI DE might just be the best "port" this series has ever had. Might as well add to the goodness.