Dakhil

Dragon Quest XI S Demo Available Now!

I think the Japanese demo is the only one that's getting updated to Ver. 1.0.1 since the demo I've downloaded (the Western demo) is still in Ver. 1.0.0 and when I was trying to update the demo, it's saying "You are using the latest version of this software."

Hearing many people talking about the demo crashing reminds me of how Super Smash Bros Ultimate was crashing for many people when Piranha Plant was available to get if you have redeemed your Gold Points for Super Smash Bros Ultimate (if you have the physical version since you automatically redeem Gold Points when purchasing the digital version).

1 hour ago, Dakhil said:

I think the Japanese demo is the only one that's getting updated to Ver. 1.0.1 since the demo I've downloaded (the Western demo) is still in Ver. 1.0.0 and when I was trying to update the demo, it's saying "You are using the latest version of this software."

Hearing many people talking about the demo crashing reminds me of how Super Smash Bros Ultimate was crashing for many people when Piranha Plant was available to get if you have redeemed your Gold Points for Super Smash Bros Ultimate (if you have the physical version since you automatically redeem Gold Points when purchasing the digital version).

Funny. Fire Emblem Three Houses has a glitch where preordering the DLC pass will cause your game to crash on start up. You have to uninstall all the DLC and only reinstall the current released DLC to get it to work lol.

On 9/7/2019 at 11:23 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

The full game better not #$*!ing crash like the demo has. The supposed patch that fixed the demo sure as #$*! hasn’t worked because it’s crashed twice on me while playing, one of which just happened. Since I was done with the demo I decided to try and get some rare stuff off enemies so my party was better equipped since I can’t shop, and the last thing I wanted to do was get everyone to level 15. Well, just as Serena leveled up and finally got there, the demo #$*!ing crashed. So I lost all my progress up to that point, which means I now have to grind against those stupid Ursa Minor enemies since they are the only ones that keep giving off EXP at the level i’m at since I’m using the No EXP from weaker enemies Draconian setting. At this point I’m not even gonna bother again, even though another level would really help before entering the Gallopolis region.

God, I’m so pissed about this in case that wasn’t obvious. If the full retail release crashes like the demo has I’m going back to the PS4 version.

Edit: I apologize for the rant, but that was super frustrating that happened as soon as Serena finally reached level 15.

Huh...

I keep hearing people talking about this but I never once experienced a crash with my demo. Not once. Worked perfectly. I guess I got lucky?

I finally finished the demo!

I was honestly sad to see it end. Thankfully, I already have the retail version pre-ordered via Prime and prepped for release day.

My thoughts as follows:

This game was an absolute joy to play. This is the most fun I've had with a Dragon Quest game in years.

First of all, I love the Luminary! As I've stated before, he's my favorite protagonist in this series since the hero of V. I feel for this kid. I want to see this kid find his peace and happiness.

Spoiler

That Cobblestone scene where Erik was about to leave but turned and noticed the hero still standing there, looking upon the destruction of his lifelong home, was crushing. This kid doesn't deserve that and you feel his pain as he stands there, seemingly in shock, while Erik is trying to convince him to keep moving. Again, it wasn't since the death of Pankraz in V that I felt for the hero in this way.

I loved Veronica immediately. Her sassy attitude reminds me a bit of Maribel but a more subdued.

Spoiler

I also wasn't expecting that twist regarding her being a young woman reverted to a child's age.

Luminary, Erk and Veronica are definitely my favorite characters thus far. I care for these characters in a way that I haven't cared for characters in this series in a long time.

I love the world as well. At first, I found it odd that most of the world map is practically a larger, interconnected mass similar to Alefgard but now I realize: It's the Yggdrasil and the fact that its roots seem to bind the entire world. Well, that's just my assumption at this point.

I loved Hotto. Definitely my favorite town so far.

As I've already stated--this world is so much more alive than the other games. I love how much more detailed things like people's homes and nature are. I love how you can see moss growing on the stone houses in Cobblestone--the way food simmers on people's stoves--the way spider webs flap in the interior breeze in the houses. You actually feel like you've traveled to the Middle Ages in this game. I love the attention to detail. Erdrea is a world I'd love to visit, if only it were real. That's how alive it is.

The skill tree is better than ever. Reminds me a lot of the Hyrule Warriors skill tree in a way. 

Camp sites are great. They truly add a lot to this game as well as feel more like what you'd expect to see your heroes doing on those long journeys.

This game feels like an amalgamation of different games in the series:

-Dragon Quest I with the way most of the world feels like a large, interconnected mass similar to Alefgard

-Dragon Quest III with its 16 year-old prodigy hero

Spoiler

-Dragon Quest IV with its sibling duo, Gemma who is the childhood friend and love interest of the hero

Spoiler

-Dragon Quest V with the more personal story of the hero as well as the adult hero meeting his childhood sel

Spoiler

-Dragon Quest VII with its time travel and Veronica who has a few similar personality traits to Maribel

-Dragon Quest VIII for the overall presentation. XI feels like the full realization of the gaming ideas of VIII

Overall, I can say that this game feels more III to me than any other on my list...and I haven't even tried 2D mode yet, which I'm sure will only increase that feeling. This game definitely feels quite strongly like III. III and V, to be precise.

In any case, I know I have a long way to go and many of you already played this game on PS4 or XBOX but, for me, this is my first exposure to this game.

I know it's early, but this might just be one of my favorite Dragon Quest games--right up there with III, IV, V and VII for me. They did a great job with this game and somehow not only captured everything that's great about Dragon Quest in one package...but found a way to amplify it as well.

Final thoughts: I LOVE Erdrea and the Luminary might just be the most noble and good-hearted main hero out of all the games in this series. About his only other contender would be the hero from IX as he was an innocent angel-like entity unfairly torn from his home and angelic status. It's close, for sure.

• Upvote 1

I love your enthusiasm! Every word you day is how excited I am about this game, even though I’ve been away from the series for decades, since III. I can’t wait to get back into it!

I bought two used books for the 3DS and PS4 versions last night, just so I can compare 2D maps between Switch and 3DS, and because the Michikusa Adventure guide for PS4+3DS includes feature sections about both regional wildlife as well as local food and crafts. I want to check that all these little details made it to the Switch version.

23 minutes ago, JustACorpse said:

I love your enthusiasm! Every word you day is how excited I am about this game, even though I’ve been away from the series for decades, since III. I can’t wait to get back into it!

I bought two used books for the 3DS and PS4 versions last night, just so I can compare 2D maps between Switch and 3DS, and because the Michikusa Adventure guide for PS4+3DS includes feature sections about both regional wildlife as well as local food and crafts. I want to check that all these little details made it to the Switch version.

That's great! I always love sharing my love for this series here. Dragon Quest makes me feel giddy like a kid with every new release. I honestly gave up on Final Fantasy entirely once I played the Dragon Quest sequels. I tried playing a few of the new Final Fantasy games recently and...I wasn't liking it. At all. I actually deleted those from my directory. Dragon Quest is far better than FF for me. It's simple and elaborate at the same time. It's true to itself and never strays far like FF did. Final Fantasy really embraced the Steampunk/Cyberpunk angle and never let go. I'm glad Dragon Quest never went that route.

• Like 1

You can now download the Dragon Quest XI S demo version 1.0.1 by pressing + from the Dragon Quest XI S demo icon and then go to "Software Update" and then click "Via the Internet".

2019091004541300-57B4628D2267231D57E0FC1078C0596D.thumb.jpg.e57af462d2dc6231dabe20a36c120982.jpg 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m just going to pretend someone at Square Enix saw my rant and said, “Oh #$*!, we forgot to release that patch in the US/Europe!”

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’m just going to pretend someone at Square Enix saw my rant and said, “Oh #$*!, we forgot to release that patch in the US/Europe!”

So, can you do me a favor and rant about the need for first-person view, just in case?

Seriously, this is great news, though. Thanks for keeping us up to date, @Dakhil!

• Like 1

Now that I've gotten (most of) my gushing over this game out of the way, I do want to address a few Cons here:

-I've addressed this before but I do not like the way you pull up the entire world map. This game is chock full of shortcut commands and an interactive area map...how hard would it have been for them to lump the World Map into the quick-access options? They even show a list of options for the map. Would it really have killed them to add the world map in there? Now I have to access it either by pulling it up from "Important Items" or the Zoom command. I think this was an odd exclusion that's now made it a bit comical when you consider how most of this game is all about "quick access shortcuts" than ever before. This makes me feel like I'm playing an NES Dragon Quest but not in a good way.

-The inconsistency of the jumping. I do love the jumping in this game...HOWEVER...I don't care for how inconsistent it is. You never know what you can/can't jump on until you try it. Sometimes you can jump on boxes and sometimes not. Sometimes you can jump on rocks and sometimes not. Sometimes you can jump over fences and...you get the idea. Maybe some like this aspect as it adds to exploration but I personally feel like an idiot jumping around, searching for things to jump on. It's also counter-intuitive as I've found myself not even attempting to jump on a few things after a while only to later discover by accident that I could. I never see a single person around here ever mention this so I'm going to assume this is yet another one of those situations where I'm the one guy here who has a problem with something no one else does, but oh well.

-I don't care for the default battle style at all. I know some like this style but, to me, it's too reminiscent of modern Final Fantasy games. I only discovered the option for the classic battle by accident and had wound up playing the game for an hour on the "default" mode before I realized the classic style was available. I know they're trying to appeal to more "modern" gamers here in the US but I wish they would have made this choice a bit clearer in the beginning as I found it absolutely jarring playing Dragon Quest in a way that I consider to be bass ackwards. Again, maybe I'm that ONE player who had a problem or maybe not. Let me know.

-I find the Saving to be a bit annoying this time around. I don't like how, after the priest asks "Do you want to continue playing?", you choose "yes" but then he continues speaking and you're reverted back to the menu. I normally rush through the save commands in DQ games and I'm used to the menu disappearing after choosing "yes". It's jarring. Not a huge deal but I don't personally care for the change.

-I personally found the forging slightly confusing in some areas. I was paying attention to the meters and wound up ruining some swords. I had to divert my attention completely from the meters and focus on the part itself and the orange glow. Might be my fault in this area but I personally found the meters a bit confusing as it's easy to focus on those when forging for the first time. Again, this one might be my fault.

-This game feels a bit inferior to DQVIII in one area: The area maps. Perhaps I simply haven't play enough of this game to truly discover the ultimate style and perhaps I need to replay VIII, but...I could have sworn that DQVIII had a bit more of a seamless map experience. I remember playing through large swaths of map in DQVIII without a screen transition. I even remember running down a deep gorge and back to the top without any transitions along the way. Am I just remembering wrong or does this game seem to segment its map areas more than VIII did? Again, not a HUGE deal but I feel less...boxed in while playing VIII. Maybe I'm just remembering wrong? If someone could clarify that would be great.

-Inconsistency of item "bundles" in the field. Sometimes when I get a "bundle" of items in the field I will receive them one at a time. Other times it seems that they scatter and I find them by running over the ground until I hit each one. Not sure why this varies.

Most of these are me just nit-picking and they all mostly minor complaints in hindsight. This game is still a near-masterpiece to me so far but I won't let it off the hook for anything that bugs. me.

On 9/6/2019 at 5:59 AM, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

Ah, I see. In that case, yes--you should wait. This game is addictive. 

While IX seems to be somewhat of a black sheep of this series (unless I'm mistaken--I personally love it but see a lot of flack for it on forums), it had a great system of collecting alchemy elements on the world map. I always enjoyed that as it adds an extra layer of depth to exploration and gives you a reason/reward for wandering off the beaten path and exploring the map.

That's what I love about XI--I wandered away from my destination path on the map and just began climbing over rocks and hills, running into a wooded area, etc and wound up finding a field full of alchemy goodies WITH free medicinal herbs hidden in there. I love how this game introduced "caches" of items in the fields. 3 for 1! :) I even found a mini-medal entirely by accident last night.

I've seen this game get some flack for its music on Youtube, for some reason, but I personally love the music in this game, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

This is the best demo I've ever played for any game, hands down.

This is quite premature but XI is vastly becoming one of my favorites of this series...and I haven't even tried 2D mode yet!

Haha!

You don't have to sell the addictive nature of the game to me, I was highly addicted to XI when I played it on PS4, and I am guessing I will have the same feeling with the Switch Version!

34 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

You don't have to sell the addictive nature of the game to me, I was highly addicted to XI when I played it on PS4, and I am guessing I will have the same feeling with the Switch Version!

Tell me about it. I pretty much threw my social life out the window for a month and played the game non-stop. I already have three playthroughs planned for the Switch so I don't know if I will even be alive by time I am done with it.

So, finally convinced the wife to try the game now that it's coming to the Switch.

Iggy, you'll be glad to hear that so far her favourite character is Veronica.  Though, I suspect that it'll be Sylvando once she gets him in the release version.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Enclave said:

So, finally convinced the wife to try the game now that it's coming to the Switch.

Iggy, you'll be glad to hear that so far her favourite character is Veronica.  Though, I suspect that it'll be Sylvando once she gets him in the release version.

Yes!  Hey, if she loves Sylvando, no hard feelings there.  Sylv is bombastic and surprisingly well rounded and mysterious.  Veronica is just the likely personality I'll end up with, since both my mum and sister are like her.

16 hours ago, Twinkie said:

Tell me about it. I pretty much threw my social life out the window for a month and played the game non-stop. I already have three playthroughs planned for the Switch so I don't know if I will even be alive by time I am done with it.

Three planned playthroughs?!

I envy you. Deeply. 

I wish I could get my wife into DQ. All she's interested in playing are Stardew Valley, Civ, and Minecraft. I've tried to get her started on Builders but we've been so busy with work and the kid that there's not much time for her to get into a new game.

13 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

I wish I could get my wife into DQ. All she's interested in playing are Stardew Valley, Civ, and Minecraft. 

That sounds like a helluva good time. My wife doesn't like DQ because she thinks turn based combat is boring.

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:
17 hours ago, Enclave said:

I wish I could get my wife into DQ. All she's interested in playing are Stardew Valley, Civ, and Minecraft. I've tried to get her started on Builders but we've been so busy with work and the kid that there's not much time for her to get into a new game.

At least those are openings.  Civ is fairly slow, methodical, and thoughful.  Never played Stardew Valley, but it looks a lot like Harvest Moon, so that shouldn't be too hard to transition once you two have a little more free time. 

21 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Haha!

Oh, you played it already? I must have either missed where you mentioned that or forgot it! XD

On 9/13/2019 at 11:07 AM, ErdrickRotoLotoOrtega said:

Oh, you played it already? I must have either missed where you mentioned that or forgot it! XD

Damn right lol.

I did not, however, do any of the post game stuff, so I am looking forward to that. 

On 9/13/2019 at 7:36 AM, AustNerevar said:
On 9/12/2019 at 3:50 PM, Enclave said:

Exactly the sorts of games my wife plays as well and yeah, Builders is EXACTLY the series that got my wife to finally play a proper Dragon Quest.