Sign in to follow this  
JustACorpse

PSA: Do NOT listen to Puff Puff Podcast review if you don’t want significant spoilers.

Posted (edited)

The one character I knew near nothing about, they spoiled while casually reading the Wikipedia page (so I guess don’t read that, either). Then immediately after spoiling it, they mention that it’s a major spoiler and a big, emotional reveal. Then they laugh at how it’s been a year and “everybody has already played the game”.

I stopped listening at that point. It’s a shame. I liked their casual vibe. I was interested in listening to their review, which hadn’t even really started yet, but for fans serious enough to make a podcast, very aware there’s a Definitive version of the game on the way and the intent of DQXI to draw in new players, ai was extremely disappointed in how careless they were about this spoiler — while in the same breath talking about how significant it is, right after they’d already ruined it.

I don’t mean to seem angry or whiny or anything. I don’t know who these guys are and ai have nothing against them. I’m sure I’ll enjoy listening after I’ve finished playing. But I wanted to warn any other new players who, like me, are poking around Dragon’s Den, looking for content to enjoy while we wait for the game’s release.

I’m honestly not sure how many major character beats are left that haven’t been at least a little spoiled for me at this point, though. My advice now really is to kind of stay offline and avoid everything until you’ve finished the game. If you can do that. I probably can’t.

Anyway, you’ve been kindly warned.

Edited by JustACorpse

If the Switch version weren't around the corner then I would say that they're allowed to spoil whatever they wish...its been a year, etc. But you're right, a lot of people have been holding off for this version. They should have had a spoiler section at the end of the podcast.

That said, the DQ community is pretty insular, and I feel like Puff Puff Hour has been more of a "retrospective" look at the series. They're used to reviewing decades-old games...it's not every year we get a new DQ game.

If you're new to the series then spoilers will abound for many of the games in DQ communities. Though I agree that, even though we're almost a year in since release, XI should be treated differently since the Definitive Edition has yet to be released.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I see them as the weakest of the DQ podcasts out there. It just sounds like 3 guys reading a Wikipedia page and not having any input about the games. If there is, it's a quick few sentences before they move onto the next paragraph. I don't need people to read me a plot recap...tell me about what you thought about the game. 

Posted (edited)

Never mind.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

What is it about them that you don't like, exactly?

Yes, let’s get that drama swirling. That sweet, sweet podcast drama. Ours vs. theirs. That’ll make for some interesting content on the show for the next couple episodes.

I read this first post and laughed so hard while slimeltaneously thinking, "C'mon, let common sense prevail."

My guess is the OP has never listened to Puff Puff Hour before...?

They're quite up front that they're going to summarize the entire game. Like it's literally "what they do". Lots of podcasts that look back at games do. RPGamer's RPG Backtrack tells you each episode they're going to tell everything. RPG Fan's Retro Encounter breaks most games into 2 episodes and goes beat by beat through the plot. They just had their 200th episode that basically spoils all of RPG-Dom. They even have awards for biggest plot twist & characters that betray you and list all the ones in all the games that do.

If you're looking at a 1-2+ hour podcast about a single game, it's going to be filled with spoilers.

Honestly I think this topic is quite inflammatory and is the podcast equivalent of screaming to the skies: "don't listen to the news: they tell you what goes on it the world!"

Hint: don't listen to most of DQ FM or Slime Time either. They spoil stuff as well.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I agree with you, but at the same time it is like a 2 hour podcast review on a single game that was released almost a year ago in the West. It is going to be some spoilers mentioned. Especially if the story is something they are going to review as well.

Edited by Twinkie

I guess I could nitpick that since it's titled as review that it should have a division between general review and spoiler review within the podcast itself.

That said, again it's hard to find fault here since they are by definition a retrospective podcast. Perhaps they shouldn't be classifying their episodes as reviews however.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They literally go story beat by story beat for an hour. Before any mid-game spoiler is stated, you gotta put some responsibility into realizing what you're hearing.

Know your surroundings. Read the room.

Was anyone surprised when the first boobie popped out in Showgirls?

You know, other than Mario Lopez.

12 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I read this first post and laughed so hard while slimeltaneously thinking, "C'mon, let common sense prevail."

My guess is the OP has never listened to Puff Puff Hour before...?

They're quite up front that they're going to summarize the entire game. Like it's literally "what they do". Lots of podcasts that look back at games do. RPGamer's RPG Backtrack tells you each episode they're going to tell everything. RPG Fan's Retro Encounter breaks most games into 2 episodes and goes beat by beat through the plot. They just had their 200th episode that basically spoils all of RPG-Dom. They even have awards for biggest plot twist & characters that betray you and list all the ones in all the games that do.

If you're looking at a 1-2+ hour podcast about a single game, it's going to be filled with spoilers.

Honestly I think this topic is quite inflammatory and is the podcast equivalent of screaming to the skies: "don't listen to the news: they tell you what goes on it the world!"

Hint: don't listen to most of DQ FM or Slime Time either. They spoil stuff as well.

emoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji849.pngemoji849.png

They did not say anything at the start, at all, about intentions to “summarize the entire game” or that that’s “what they do”.

Yes, it was my first time listening to them. Am I meant to apologize for that?

You “laughed so hard” and deemed me as lacking “common sense” as well as hysterically “screaming to the sky” because a significant story/character beat was spoiled for me, and I thought it appropriate and kind to make a post about it so no other curious player experiences the same thing? Really?

How was I “inflammatory”? I said — clearly — that I don’t know them and am not exactly blaming them, though I was surprised. If I’d been making a review podcast, and instead of even starting the review yet I was literally reading Wikipedia and I felt like I’d presented a major spoiler, so much that we all begin discussing how “if you haven’t played the game yet, you should go back and ‘not hear’ that, now that you’ve already heard it. Ha ha!”… If it had been me, I’d have just started the review over.

Reviews are, in my experience, primarily for the benefit of players who have not played games. That is usually the main target audience. In other reviews I’ve seen/heard for DQXI, reviewers said, “I’m about to head into spoilers, so leave now if you haven’t played”. Or they explicitly say they’re only reviewing mechanics and only the first couple of hours. Etc, etc. It isn’t “crazy” or “stupid” that I thought I could listen to a review casually while cleaning house.

They were just meandering around, I was only half paying attention, waiting for the review to even start.

It surprises me all the baggage you felt the need to dump on my head simply because I wanted any other person who may be both as excited about DQXI (S) as I am and as apparently “ignorant” and “naive” as I am to not be spoiled in the same way. As I clearly stated, that was my only goal. To prevent anyone else being spoiled. Not to inflame, and not to be spoken about like a mindless idiot.

To that end, I will definitely avoid DQ FM as well. I was looking forward to Slime Time, but I guess I’ll avoid it, too, if it will be careless about spoiler warnings even when directly discussing the fact that a new game expected to attract new players is right around the corner. Thank you for that helpful advice.