The reason lies in a massive spoiler. I'm the type of guy that will like a movie despite something that should ruin it, so although I personally think its a serious bummer, it might not affect my enjoyment of the other parts. 

Read if you wish:

https://nintendosoup.com/dragon-quest-your-story-gets-slammed-by-fans-online/

• Like 1

I'd have to see the movie to know for sure, but wow that is just awful. I'm not sure if I care if we ever get it or not now.

What a bizarre decision. I wonder why they thought that would be a good idea for FWd first foray into film.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

I found out about the twist a few days ago and have mixed feeling on it. As long as the rest of the movie is good, the ending being a dud will be a minor set back. Really, I’m just interested in seeing how the rest of the movie is.

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

for FWd first foray into film.

FWd?

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I found out about the twist a few days ago and have mixed feeling on it. As long as the rest of the movie is good, the ending being a dud will be a minor set back. Really, I’m just interested in seeing how the rest of the movie is.

FWd?

Forward

There was a group of Japanese screeners who were so horrified by the ending, they leaked it.  Ever since reading it, it's just cemented my disdain for the movie.  They also ignored one little nugget as well, though probably because not as many Japanese gamers would take an issue with it, due to social stigma and constant repetition of it:

the movie ends by telling the gamer to act like an adult and stop playing videogames.

Edited by ignasia
  • Upvote 3

Ending suck x100 now with that last spoiler. I hadn't heard that part yet.

The reason lies in a massive spoiler. I'm the type of guy that will like a movie despite something that should ruin it, so although I personally think its a serious bummer, it might not affect my enjoyment of the other parts. 
Read if you wish:
https://nintendosoup.com/dragon-quest-your-story-gets-slammed-by-fans-online/
The day after I started the online petition for it, I read the spoilers and it immediately made me want to pull the plug.

Without saying it here for all to see, yeah, that really sucks. It cheapens the whole Dragon Questness of the movie. If that's the entire message and plot, basically you just screwed with the most cinematical, cohesive, lovely story just to prove a point & send a message.

If that's the point, do it via some other proprietary series. Bleh, sucks they licensed out the name for that.
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

FWd?

Autocorrect. Supposed to say "for their first foray into film.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

Probably one of the worst ideas ever and the worst game entry in the series to pull that. If they really wanted to go this path, they should have gone with an original story. It would still be a bad choice, but there wouldn't have all the emotion associated with it. 

I still want t see it, though. At least knowing about this beforehand helps lowering the expectations.

Edited by Billy MK
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

The day after I started the online petition for it, I read the spoilers and it immediately made me want to pull the plug.

Without saying it here for all to see, yeah, that really sucks. It cheapens the whole Dragon Questness of the movie. If that's the entire message and plot, basically you just screwed with the most cinematical, cohesive, lovely story just to prove a point & send a message.

If that's the point, do it via some other proprietary series. Bleh, sucks they licensed out the name for that.

What I don't get is, given he's stated DQ5 is his personal favourite storyline.  It's also one of the most beloved storylines amongst fans everywhere.  From talking to people who live in Japan and who are teachers as well:

• 80+% of all marketing is for mobile games
  • there are statements made in school, at work, and from the government discouraging videogames, but promoting mobile games and pachinko as adult and acceptable activity
  • most school kids have no clue what dragon quest is, at least the mainline series outside of mobile games...we're talking younger though, as I'm unsure about older kids, like 9~12 year olds, because of the change in heavy promotion for console games to mobile games...that's the MAIN reason for the mobile market boom in all sectors young and old.
  • the vast majority of game purchases for non-Nintendo 1st party games is from adults in Japan, like the literal VAST majority
  • since the playstation 2, due to heavy pushes from the government and working sector to demand more time at work, and directly hitting at videogames as a problem in society to push people to spend more time at work or engaging with working buddies instead of families or personal time, system sales for non-handheld consoles has gone down significantly...we're talking 20m->12m->3m as the cap in system sales.  So by definition, they've curbed the adult game purchases by curbing the desire to purchase gaming systems.

...why?  Why would you want to harm your own consumer base?  Why would you want to discourage people from wanting to play, let alone the ripple-effects, such as discouraging people from entering the industry?

This is I think, the main reason FF15 went Action RPG.  Since those generally do VERY poorly in Japan.  Why FF7 is attempting to be a mixture of action and TB (mostly due to FF7 fans being upset at the pure ARPG, and this being a worldwide sentiment negative response to everything leading up to the last e3).  Why SE seems to really want to push DQ, because they might see the writing on the wall, and expect future sales to shrink in Japan and stay shrunken.

Though again it does bother me they would attempt to pull this nonsense in the ending.  I mean it's a cool twist in the sense it's unique for a movie, though not so much for an anime.  Especially given the excitement over DQVR not long ago, and that Horii liked it so much he wanted to make another more fully fleshed out experience.  Something he stated way back as a curiosity when VR was being discussed as potential reality in 2005~2010 back between 1997~2000.

Edited by ignasia
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Yeah, I never knew about what’s in the spoiler tag Iggy mentioned above, and frankly after reading that I may take back what I said about wanting to see the movie. Like really, THAT’S how your going to end a video game related movie? That’s #$*!ing stupid.

I can’t believe they went with DQ5 now as the inspiration/base of the film. 5 isn’t my absolute favorite DQ game, but it’s one that’s in my top 5 and has a pretty great and emotional story. I’m very confused by the choices they made now, and am feeling pretty mixed more than I was before on whether I want to see it or not. I mean, the DQ fan in me wants to see how the series/game is represented on the big screen, but...

spacer.png

• Upvote 1

Damn that’s a funny way to end it. I’m morbidly curious to see how it played out. It seems so jarring.

Also, what is the context to Iggy’s spoiler? The way it’s phrased, it sounds like they just slapped a message on the screen and ended the movie.

• Like 1

I saw the spoiler.

Honestly? It doesn't bother me too much. It miffs me that it didn't end up being true fantasy, but I am going to wait and watch the film before I judge it.

I LURV DQV. Imma Lightspeed Champeeon of it too. So...

Damn. I was really looking forward to watching this movie. It seems like they did just about everything right. But that ending? Oh boy.

I don't think it would be so bad if 

Spoiler

they revealed it was someone playing the game the entire time at the end. But having the final boss being a glitch, and having him defeated by some anti-bug program just seems so stupid. I can't wrap my head around why they would do this.

• Like 1

Oh god, makes me remember all these "what if X eastern property received a Hollywood adaptation" jokes. Bad move T_T

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Twinkie said:

Damn. I was really looking forward to watching this movie. It seems like they did just about everything right. But that ending? Oh boy.

I don't think it would be so bad if 

Reveal hidden contents

they revealed it was someone playing the game the entire time at the end. But having the final boss being a glitch, and having him defeated by some anti-bug program just seems so stupid. I can't wrap my head around why they would do this.

That would have been a better choice. I think a lot of people could better relate to that ending idea as well since it would feel like what others experienced themselves.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

That would have been a better choice. I think a lot of people could better relate to that ending idea as well since it would feel like what others experienced themselves.

I think they were going for a lighthearted jab and twist you wouldn't expect.  Kind of like DQ7's twist at the end, or DQ9's, or the surprise bit in DQ3, or the surprise bit in the original DQ5 within the final dungeon, at the halfway point, and the jarring nature of it.

Kind of like an Andy Kaufman style of comedic twist.  I think it's the same with the whole

"yeah, you shouldn't be playing games, you're too old now,"

and working in tandem with that bit to satirize the nature of videogame playing itself, and how easy it is to get caught up in the virtual world.

It just doesn't play off very well for me, and I'm rather surprised they took that angle considering the condition of the industry in Japan, though perhaps that was the main point...you will get sucked into these games, and all gaming, when you're in love, becomes your own headcannon-virtual reality machine that functions like a virus to keep you enthralled...hahaha, *lighthearted jab, we love you for buying our products though*

Edited by ignasia

since the playstation 2, due to heavy pushes from the government and working sector to demand more time at work, and directly hitting at videogames as a problem in society to push people to spend more time at work or engaging with working buddies instead of families or personal time, system sales for non-handheld consoles has gone down significantly...we're talking 20m->12m->3m as the cap in system sales. 

What non-handheld consoles are you talking about? 35275c08959a485cc978f8f3fab46661.jpg

• 80+% of all marketing is for mobile games

Seems weird when it's not a whole lot greater than the console + PC market. 9d2e5505c879e7d70053c03392efaf5a.jpg
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

@Plattym3  

PS2 sales in Japan by 2008, when Sony finally cancelled the system to fully support the PS3, is 21.45m
https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/PlayStation_2

PS3 sales in Japan by April of 2011 is the final tally known from Sony for Japanese sales numbers, at 6.34m
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-04-01-psp-was-japans-best-selling-console-in-2010

VGchartz at least does modify their algorithms to real hardware sales data, which is easier to track, however all PS3 data post 6.34m is pure algorithm, but it does show a pattern and trend of similar system sales rates over time in Japan between the PS3 and PS4:
http://www.vgchartz.com/article/439313/ps4-vs-ps3-in-japanvgchartz-gap-chartsmay-2019-update/

Compare to handheld devices (3DS total is 25.4m vs 32.9m DS after 9 years each, and GB+GBC is 32.4m)
https://www.dualshockers.com/nintendo-3ds-sales-24-million-japan/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS_sales
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy
https://web.archive.org/web/20140303113640/http://nintendoenthusiast.net/news/nintendo-3ds-beats-game-boy-advance-lifetime-sales-japan/

Granted 3DS to DS sales are still down, but not nearly by the same numbers we see with consoles.  Though it is interesting that the DS and GB tracked together, while the GBA and 3DS tracked at similar rates.

My point being, since the PS2 era, Japan has seen a decline in system sales.  I can bring up PSP, DS, 3DS sales if you want.  While the Vita showed decline over the PSP, sales ratios are MUCH higher in Japan, and this occurred with the PSP/DS era, as Japan discouraged adults to play games, because they weren't able to restore economic fluidity after the 199x...I think 1996 crash?  OH, it's 1992, and it's never fully stabilized as Japan relied on borrowing against money placed in banks, rather than rework government expenditures and subsidies for particular industries (Sony for instance is almost entirely subsidized, the only marketable section of their business is the entertainment section, and I believe SCEA and the Playstation brand is still their strongest overall brand, followed by Music the Movies.

-----

Anyway, as per mobile advertising, I'm just going by what I've been told by certain Japanese teachers and a few others from Japan, 3 years ago.  Maybe that's changing now.  One of the teachers is a DQ fan, and mentioned that her charges had no clue what DQ was, but were fully informed, at the time, as to the latest mobile games.  I certainly hope it is, but home console sales are low, and handheld consoles are considered part of the console market, and are the largest share of market space.

Edited by ignasia

I like the concept of the ending but not for this particular production. It does give me an idea for a meme though

I wonder when it's gonna be on the download sites with subs. I wanna see it for myself.

Posted (edited)

Both of these ideas are strange choices, particularly for the first DQ feature film, particularly when riding high on its high-fantasy legacy at the moment. DQ5 has reentered top ten sales figures in Japan in the wake of this film release. These two choices feel, to me, like pulling punches and not completely trusting the audience to love Dragon Quest simply and purely for being Dragon Quest.

Personally, I think that’s someone’s miscalculation, and I hope they don’t do it again.

Of course, I don’t actually know the reasoning and I haven’t seen it for myself, but that’s my hot take.

Also, @Plattym3 and @ignasia, I’d say you’re both right. Consoles definitely went through a decline. I have no statistics and am not interested in the research, so everything I say is based on my lived experience, my friends, and the kids and adults I’ve taught:

PS2 dominance was, I think, a point of pride to Japanese gamers. There was a real love and respect for Sony, like with Nintendo and Sega before them. Sega had faded, and it took Nintendo a while to establish that “old Nintendo feeling” with the DS/3DS.

Xbox never really took off here (yes, understatement), but awareness of the console wars and trends toward handheld took some luster off PS3, I think. PS4 seems to have more momentum, in part I imagine because 3DS era has been in slowdown for a long time.

And then there’s Switch. Switch is why I think you’re both right. I believe before Switch Japan was actually headed for death of consoles. Japanese gamers and the casual public have fully embraced mobile. Many still loved their 3DS, but I stopped seeing them out and about probably…three(?) years ago?

Switch has not only filled that gap (though I basically never actually see people playing it in public), but (I feel) reinvigorated the entire industry. Switch feels like Famicom-era gaming. It had a freshness and fun vibe that transcends even the 3DS, I think. I hope they get on integrating 3DS-level social features and UI before the momentum fades!

Also… everybody has Switch. I teach kids now, and literally all of them have it. I know several adults who have it or want it. Switch has a feel good factor that is definitely revitalizing interest and somehow making public gaming okay again, rather than public shaming.

I think there may be more Switch playing on trains and in public again as the Lite and better-battery Switches release this autumn. I hope so. That’s the real test. I used to never get on a train and not see people on their 3DS/2DS/DS, with occasional Vita and PSP.

It’s still all phones on the trains at the moment, but I do think that may be Switching.😉

Edited by JustACorpse
  • Like 2