muddy120

What do you guys think of Dragon Quest being mainstream now?

I think it's great that Dragon Quest is finally getting some attention with localization. My biggest concern with this, however, is how SquareEnix keeps throwing out these "updated" versions which end up looking super cheap, similar with how they handle their ports for the classic Final Fantasy games. I found out while playing through Dragon Warrior 1+2 on the GBC that they offered the first three games on the app store, and while looking into them for a friend saw that, unfortunately, they suffer that same cheap look.
I honestly hope that one day, we can have a "Classic Collection" where the games will be presented in their original format (NES, SNES, PSX, ect.). Now THAT'S the dream.

The mobile versions of 1-3 are amazing! What's wrong with them?

Games typically don't get released again as they were 30 years ago. That's why you buy something to play NES games on if you want. Upgrades & modern conveniences and/or art are typical for newer ports.

1 hour ago, Grizzled Ancient said:

I think it's great that Dragon Quest is finally getting some attention with localization. My biggest concern with this, however, is how SquareEnix keeps throwing out these "updated" versions which end up looking super cheap, similar with how they handle their ports for the classic Final Fantasy games. I found out while playing through Dragon Warrior 1+2 on the GBC that they offered the first three games on the app store, and while looking into them for a friend saw that, unfortunately, they suffer that same cheap look.

I honestly hope that one day, we can have a "Classic Collection" where the games will be presented in their original format (NES, SNES, PSX, ect.). Now THAT'S the dream.

Square Enix is notorious for their ports of retro games, but in my experience, the Dragon Quest ones are great. Even the movement doesn’t suck, which is often the case for mobile ports of old games.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

III doesn't have the monster animations, which prevents it from being the definitive version. It's based off of an old phone port that couldn't handle it then, but since the animations were present in the GBC version, for them to not have gone back and added in those sprites is cheap and lazy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Games typically don't get released again as they were 30 years ago. That's why you buy something to play NES games on if you want. Upgrades & modern conveniences and/or art are typical for newer ports.

11 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

III doesn't have the monster animations, which prevents it from being the definitive version. It's based off of an old phone port that couldn't handle it then, but since the animations were present in the GBC version, for them to not have gone back and added in those sprites is cheap and lazy.

From my understanding it’s the same for the mobile versions of I and II. They are based on phone ports too.

I liked played III on my phone, but it lacking a lot of the features from the Super Nintendo and GBC versions makes it a bit hard for me to return to the mobile version. I do like the new localization script, though.

• Like 1

Good point! And it was missing the Parchisi boards.

2 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Good point! And it was missing the Parchisi boards.

The boards missing is the biggest loss by far. Man, Parchisi/Treasures n’ Trapdoors is such a great mini game in Dragon Quest games. It’s such a shame it isn’t in at least one or two other DQ games.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/17/2019 at 12:34 PM, AustNerevar said:

1-3 mobile ports are great, what are you talking about?

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Well, I would say 3 is good, but isn't great.  1 and 2 for sure.  3 is subpar comparatively, as they were lazy and didn't re-add the animations (would have taken no time at all, as the original build was ripped directly from the SNES version anyhow, so the animation files would have required little, if any, tweaking, beyond maybe file format and call function).  I get the lack of a pachisi board to cut down on time, but I wish it was re-added, or at least offered as a possible option.  They could also have spent time re-adding in the GBC special dungeon, and switched out the tilesets for SNES tilesets from similar sections of the game...though they'd have to rebuild the walls, which wouldn't have taken THAT much time.  The dungeon was well liked, only the method of access was ever an issue, and that can have been easily tweaked (wishes from Xenlong).

In terms of general mobile controls though?  Yeah, the DQ games are very solid.  In terms of system accessibility, they're fantastic.  Definite far fewer problems with android builds than 4~6.

----

I'm not keen on certain rebalancing changes either.

- 3 mobile is faster to level up in general (more EXP per normal fight...a lot more, but LMS are MUCH harder to farm, the most viable area for them is the top floor of Rubiss' Tower, which is still VERY solid, but it's annoying to have to climb up there for Fighter/MA or Sage/Wizard farming with Puff!).
 - Level ups after hitting 520~522 HP are 0.  A fixed 0.  In the 18 characters I've brought up to level 99 now, all of them have, by level 99, 520~522 HP only.  The original allows for +1 or 0 at every level past the HP cap due to Stamina.  The original two remakes allowed for +1 or 0, but it's a far more difficult chance to get +1, and requires a little save scumming to get a decent HP count prior to seeing, but it was possible to hit 530~550 naturally.   This is annoying as it means more time spent seed farming.
 - Not using the GBC changes to Magic Bikini, which is a pain to farm as it is, only to be a mostly useless trivial trophy item.  Not using the GBC change to Ortega's Helm...which I get, but it would have been nice, as the helmet doesn't have much value after Baramos, which is sad, because it's...Ortega's Helmet.

I forget what else, but there are some other minor gripes I have in terms of gameplay changes made for the original mobile release that were kept with this one.  Those changes were likely due to limitations in RAM and the number of variables the game would keep track of, so it's a more streamlined and easy to play experience, rather than laggy.  All of which should have been tweaked for smartphones.  It just bothers me that they phoned in DQ3, when they did so much extra work for 1 and 2.  The exception being the music.

Edited by ignasia

On 8/17/2019 at 11:47 AM, Plattym3 said:

To be fair even with say Mario All-Stars (the original SNES and Wii port), the Super Mario Advance series on the GBA or even that Mega Man Powered Up game, you still get distributions of them in their original 8 Bit glory.

But yeah I can't say that it's necessarily a bad move at this point to go for the polished releases when you consider that a main reason the game didn't take off is because the first four games were released later than their Japanese Version, by which time other RPGs learning from early DQ flaws were released (i.e. having to walk onto stairs and open a menu choosing stair as opposed to just walking on a staircase).

And while I can understand reservations for III and VIII, not really seeing a problem for the other installments.  I is about the same as the GBC and V even added that Monster Magnet item through app update.  The rest for the most part is better than the previous US releases:

II: Okay, reduced intro a minus, but gameplay wise I don't see how it's that different than the GBC release (aside from a Crest being relocated to Tantegal from Rendarak Cave), plus Zoom having the same function as later games helps remove unnecessary tediousness.

IV: Party Chat included, especially with 7-8 companions, plus the temporary party characters and being able to complete the Pioneer Town sooner with earlier access to some top gear.

VI: Okay this I understand too going from the SFC version, but if you enjoyed the DS Version, I'd say it's easily much better.  Mainly because you don't have to compromise on grinding prior to Murdaw (which I'm still not sure if that was an oversight with the SFC/DS Version or an intended jerk move:-)), Terry is better leveled and has some more classes mastered and you can get the Gospel Ring sooner due to the Mercury recruitment requirement being changed.

And yeah VIII aside, yeah we even got some symphonic music which wasn't a deal breaker to me, but not really something I consider from ports considered cheap.

*Ambles into the conversation a week late, whistling cheerfully*

On 8/10/2019 at 5:13 AM, muddy120 said:

So what do you guys think of the progression of Dragon Quest now that its mainstream, where do you guys see the series going from here and growing as a whole. Smash bros saved the series and now DQ is on a upwards spiral in popularity in the States and the West. Also what do you guys think of the Hoes Mad meme lol, that the Smash Bros community created which is pretty funny. We made it, DQ is finally popular and making memes and Dragon Quest XI S is on its way to take off the series in the west and be mainstream.

Whoa, Nelly, there's a lot to break down here.

Just to point out, because it really bares mentioning, you seem not to know just how big Dragon Quest is in its home country. Dragon Quest in Japan is a cultural phenomenon on par with, say, Star Wars in America. Not to be harsh against you, but you really should have more "in the West" qualifiers here.

And Dragon Quest has had memes for a long time, just not in the west. Here, have some all-JP Dragon Quest shitposting. And here's some Google Image search results, but be ye forewarned, I make no assertions as to how SFW any of it is.

But as to this question, Dragon Quest has been on an upward rise in the west for the past few years, with the Heroes games, the Builders games, and lately DQ XI. Smash was another step into the limelight, even a big step, but it's only another bump in a line of respectable bumps. Smash didn't save the series, and the series wasn't in need of saving. We didn't see a lot of it in the west because SQEX has been making bank with DQX for half a decade and so didn't really see any need to take it overseas (which sucks).

DQXI is recent and Smash earned some attention (some of which is negative -- more than a few Americans are whining about still more swordsmen in the games), on the whole things are looking up. With DQXI being recent, if SQEX's history is any indication, we'll probably get a few spinoffs over the next few years, maybe updated remakes of the Monsters games we've been missing out on or even another installment in the Rocket Slime series.

On 8/17/2019 at 1:05 PM, Dwaine said:

cheap and lazy

On the other hand, this could happen, too. DQ has a small library of potential remakes to pull from for games that never made it overseas (Slime Morimori, Caravan Heart, anything released between Monsters Joker 2 vanilla and Dragon Quest Heroes) and the potential for sloppiness in the upgrade to newer systems is always lurking. To a certain extent, I kinda hope any spinoffs released will be new titles entirely, if only because then they'll be obligated to stand on their own and put extra pressure on the developers to make a good impression rather than a quick buck.

It's always been mainstream in Japan. The thought of it being Japan-mainstream here in America is great.

As long as the DQ creators never go the Final Fantasy route with this series then I'll be happy to continue buying their content. :)

• Like 2