muddy120

What do you guys think of Dragon Quest being mainstream now?

So what do you guys think of the progression of Dragon Quest now that its mainstream, where do you guys see the series going from here and growing as a whole. Smash bros saved the series and now DQ is on a upwards spiral in popularity in the States and the West. Also what do you guys think of the Hoes Mad meme lol, that the Smash Bros community created which is pretty funny. We made it, DQ is finally popular and making memes and Dragon Quest XI S is on its way to take off the series in the west and be mainstream.

While I'm happy they used one of the Shrine scans for the meme, I'm not happy that it's misspelled. It's "hos" no "hoes."

Call me pedantic, but I hate it when people don't do right by their hos.

• Like 2

Good. We'll get more games. That's about the extent of my excitement. Good for them, good for me, good for all us fans.

Honestly, I don't really visit any other part of the net than RPG & DQ gaming stuff (oh and football), so really I've never seen a single bit of hate towards anything DQ.

You know except for what I spew about DQVI.

I lived through Skyrim transforming my favorite series into a household name. It wasn't a good experience really.

I don't want DQ to go through the same thing.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

I lived through Skyrim transforming my favorite series into a household name. It wasn't a good experience really.

Dragon Quest is already a household name. In Japan. Where they’re made. So I don’t think you have much to worry about in terms of the direction of the series changing, if that’s your concern.

• Like 1

Dragon Quest is already a household name. In Japan. Where they’re made. So I don’t think you have much to worry about in terms of the direction of the series changing, if that’s your concern.
Yeah but what Western audiences want and what Japanese audiences want are very different things.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Yeah but what Western audiences want and what Japanese audiences want are very different things.

In the case of Skyrim...the dumbing down of Elder Scrolls and mainstreaming began hardcore with Oblivion, but the trigger point was Morrowind.

Unlike with ES, and catering to the masses by over simplifying every core gameplay element, I don't see that with DQ.  I see expansion and the general DQ growth of...it's the same tree, but we're going to kill that branch for this particular tree, and coax this and that one into growing.

In terms of fan behaviour...well, that's to be expected.  The vast majority of gamers on the net have no personal filter or desire to have one.  Very combatative, and it's a dog-eat-dog world of gamers who feel they're superior to others.  That doesn't mean the beating heart of the core fanbase doesn't exist, or that it's entirely drowned out.  On GameFAQs and other general sites, after the lights of a new release fade out, the left-overs are always we, the actual fans, and those numbers too will increase.  Those people in lieu of Elder Scrolls are reducing in number (I'm not the only one who is VERY troubled about how ES6 will play, or how much skinner-box, false choice nonsense Todd Howard will force into the game), but a fair portion of real fans do remain.

You just have to roll with certain punches, but realize that unlike in America, Japanese companies rarely cater to fans.  This being both good, and bad, depending on a lot of factors.  Bad if you're a Breath of Fire fan, good if you're a Dragon Quest fan.

====

As to the actual topic:

I wouldn't call Dragon Quest mainstream outside Japan just yet.  We're getting there, but unless the Switch version pulls out 1m in the US alone, at the least, and another 1m in Europe, at the least, it's not truly mainstream.  It's BECOMING mainstream internationally, but it's not there yet.

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 3

In the case of Elder Scrolls its not just the dumbing down that I have a problem with because, as you say, that started before Skyrim. Its about how the series' image is impacted by the golden goose. Gamers and even Bethesda in some cases, act as though Skyrim is the sum total of the Elder Scrolls universe. The aesthetics of Morrowind will likely never make a return and Oblivion most certainly won't.

Its harder to draw a comparison to DQ since the aesthetics of each game are always the same anyway and the lore isn't shared across the series, but watching the gaming world appropriate this universe that I had been obssessed with since early teenhood was a very jading and negative experience for me.

I guess I'm just an old curmudgeon.

• Like 1

By the nature of the genre, that'll never happen. DQ becoming successful here means maybe 1 million sales per game, right? 2 would be a miracle

Skyrim was over 30 million a few years ago and Pokemon pulls similar numbers.
In the case of Elder Scrolls its not just the dumbing down that I have a problem with because, as you say, that started before Skyrim. Its about how the series' image is impacted by the golden goose. Gamers and even Bethesda in some cases, act as though Skyrim is the sum total of the Elder Scrolls universe. The aesthetics of Morrowind will likely never make a return and Oblivion most certainly won't.

Its harder to draw a comparison to DQ since the aesthetics of each game are always the same anyway and the lore isn't shared across the series, but watching the gaming world appropriate this universe that I had been obssessed with since early teenhood was a very jading and negative experience for me.

I guess I'm just an old curmudgeon.

It's hard to be an old bouncy cheerleader fan boy. We getcha here!

Posted (edited)

DQ has been a household name synonymous with not only “RPG”, but gaming itself for decades… in Japan.

I’ll credit Smash with giving it a significant bump in exposure to gamers who were otherwise unlikely to even be curious about it. Yes. Absolutely. But “Smash saved the series?” No. I can’t follow you there.

It is the brilliant design and execution of DQXI (and all the games before it) that will ultimately win over the mainstream or not. Smash is a very effective leg of the marketing strategy. I’m glad it’s getting eyeballs on the amazing achievement that is DQXI, but it only even contributes to helping establish DQ outside Japan if a significant number of the people exposed by Smash actually go out and buy Dragon Quest games, especially the Switch version when it releases. It needs a powerful global launch.

I’m optimistic. I mean, it convinced me.

As for any implications that mainstream global success might adversely affect or change DQ as it caters to a larger audience… I just see zero evidence for concern. A major appeal of DQ, right now, today, is its refined and perfected mechanics and systems. I just do not see that changing. It’s wonderful if more people are starting to appreciate it, but I don’t think the devs are going to start serving up something totally different and strange.

DQ gonna DQ.

Edited by JustACorpse
  • Like 2

On 8/11/2019 at 3:35 PM, JustACorpse said:

DQ has been a household name synonymous with not only “RPG”, but gaming itself for decades… in Japan.

I’ll credit Smash with giving it a significant bump in exposure to gamers who were otherwise unlikely to even be curious about it. Yes. Absolutely. But “Smash saved the series?” No. I can’t follow you there.

It is the brilliant design and execution of DQXI (and all the games before it) that will ultimately win over the mainstream or not. Smash is a very effective leg of the marketing strategy. I’m glad it’s getting eyeballs on the amazing achievement that is DQXI, but it only even contributes to helping establish DQ outside Japan if a significant number of the people exposed by Smash actually go out and buy Dragon Quest games, especially the Switch version when it releases. It needs a powerful global launch.

I’m optimistic. I mean, it convinced me.

As for any implications that mainstream global success might adversely affect or change DQ as it caters to a larger audience… I just see zero evidence for concern. A major appeal of DQ, right now, today, is its refined and perfected mechanics and systems. I just do not see that changing. It’s wonderful if more people are starting to appreciate it, but I don’t think the devs are going to start serving up something totally different and strange.

DQ gonna DQ.

DQ XI S wouldn't have an audience without Smash! So yes its a combined effort, the main series has to be a good game to be successful and bring new fans! But if your game sells 5000 copies then its not a success or saved the series!

DQ XI S wouldn’t have an audience without Smash? That’s...are you really sure about that? It might make a number of people more aware of Dragon Quest, but saying it wouldn’t have an audience if it weren’t for Smash Bros. Ultimate is a tad ridiculous.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Whilst it's nice that Dragon Quest gets more exposure in the West due to Super Smash Bros Ultimate, there's still a long way to go before Dragon Quest becomes mainstream in the West.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dakhil said:

Whilst it's nice that Dragon Quest gets more exposure in the West due to Super Smash Bros Ultimate, there's still a long way to go before Dragon Quest becomes mainstream in the West.

All it needs is the option to marry off your party members to anime waifus that can have children and the Fire Emblem formula will be complete.

• Like 1

I don't think Smash "saved the series". DQ XII is in early development and would have happened if Hero was in Smash or not. It is cool that there's a chance at getting more games localized though.

• Like 3

DQ XI S wouldn't have an audience without Smash!

Incorrect. Didn't the PC/PS4 release win tons of awards and sell near to 1,000,000 copies?

Smash helps. A lot. But that quoted statement is just not true.
  • Like 1

As long as this means we get more of the spin-offs, such as the Monsters series, I’m all in haha. I’ve a friend who is going to start of with XI soon. Maybe I’ll be able to talk them into the older entries as well. 

• Like 2

It still has a ways to go before it becomes mainstream. We'll see when XI S releases, next month, building off the Smash hype.

• Like 1

I would hardly call DQ mainstream, at this current moment; we'll see what happens with XI S. As well as we get good quality games with decent plot and gameplay that's enjoyable or even localized games that we never got, I really couldn't care less if it goes mainstream or not, in that aspect. However, I'd be happy to see one of my favorite video game series finally getting recognition outside of Japan. I still stand by it being a long time before DQ reaches a point to be considered "mainstream" in the West.

• Upvote 1

I’m actually kind of “happy” I’ll have to buy the NA in addition to my JP version, just to be one of the NA sales statistics.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Incorrect. Didn't the PC/PS4 release win tons of awards and sell near to 1,000,000 copies?

Smash helps. A lot. But that quoted statement is just not true.

Forgive my audience, I meant an even BIGGER audience, as in a mainstream audience not a audience at all. DQ has memes now, that's unheard for the series ever that used to be non existent and hard dark ages with no releases.

6 hours ago, Marrowfrost said:

I would hardly call DQ mainstream, at this current moment; we'll see what happens with XI S. As well as we get good quality games with decent plot and gameplay that's enjoyable or even localized games that we never got, I really couldn't care less if it goes mainstream or not, in that aspect. However, I'd be happy to see one of my favorite video game series finally getting recognition outside of Japan. I still stand by it being a long time before DQ reaches a point to be considered "mainstream" in the West.

I think it depends on Nintendo's marketing strategy for the nexts two months which they seem to have started since that new trailer released. But no I disagree I think it will start getting mainstream alot faster, starting with the switch release.

I think it's great that Dragon Quest is finally getting some attention with localization. My biggest concern with this, however, is how SquareEnix keeps throwing out these "updated" versions which end up looking super cheap, similar with how they handle their ports for the classic Final Fantasy games. I found out while playing through Dragon Warrior 1+2 on the GBC that they offered the first three games on the app store, and while looking into them for a friend saw that, unfortunately, they suffer that same cheap look.

I honestly hope that one day, we can have a "Classic Collection" where the games will be presented in their original format (NES, SNES, PSX, ect.). Now THAT'S the dream.

I think it's great that Dragon Quest is finally getting some attention with localization. My biggest concern with this, however, is how SquareEnix keeps throwing out these "updated" versions which end up looking super cheap, similar with how they handle their ports for the classic Final Fantasy games. I found out while playing through Dragon Warrior 1+2 on the GBC that they offered the first three games on the app store, and while looking into them for a friend saw that, unfortunately, they suffer that same cheap look.
I honestly hope that one day, we can have a "Classic Collection" where the games will be presented in their original format (NES, SNES, PSX, ect.). Now THAT'S the dream.
1-3 mobile ports are great, what are you talking about?

• Like 2