Sign in to follow this  
Dakhil

Dragon Quest XI S Nintendo Trailers/Tweets Thread

It's time to make a thread of all the trailers for Dragon Quest XI S released by Nintendo, starting with the "World of Erdrea" trailer.

Edit: I've decided to add Tweets from Nintendo as well since there aren't a lot of trailers Nintendo have released so far.

Edited by Dakhil
  • Like 3

I’m just gonna add these two links to the Commercials for the PS4/3DS editions…

https://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq11/commercials.php

…and Movies (but the first two  are also commercials, I think):

https://www.woodus.com/den/games/dq11/movies.php

The first one on the Movies page actually made me tear up. It’s amazing to me how this game is bringing me back to my 9~13-year-old self, even though I hadn’t really thought about these memories for so long. It’s not just nostalgia; it’s like it’s giving me back something I lost when I decided it was time to “grow up”.

Anywho, I’m just posting these links here because it was hard for me to find these pages. If it’s better for me to make a separate topic, please let me know and I can do that. I looked around and it seems like the videos aren’t really archived for Definitive S Edition. I’ll edit and add the videos I can find below:

NA/Global(?):

Trailers-

Treehouse-

*French:

Unofficial Reviews *slight spoilers possible*-

JAPAN:

Trailers-

Events-

Voice Drama Series-

Smash Bros Ultimate-

Japanese Fan Reaction:

This video makes me so happy. I have never played Smash, but I might buy it. Also really hoping we get an Amiibo, another product I’ve never purchased. DQXI has convinced me to buy: the game, a LE Switch, Just packaging from a previous LE, a case, a map, a Mini Medal, several phone straps, an Amiibo, possibly a few CDs, an art book (if they'll just make it!) the Character Book…

Dragon Quest can absolutely be a powerhouse franchise outside Japan. They’re doing well with DQB, and with promoting DQXI(S). They just need to keep the momentum.

I hope we get news about Erik and Mia’s DQM soon, and I hope it’s the same level of over-the-top quality that we’ve seen from DQXI. It could be a Pokémon/Yokai/Hunter killer, or at least really be on that same stage. I want to see DQ succeed so badly.

Quest for the West!

Edited by JustACorpse
  • Like 1

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1174729867671343107?s=19

Hikari Kubota, Assistant Producer on #DragonQuest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition, explains how puns and playful language help bring series creator Yuji Horii's style to a global audience.

dragonquest.nintendo.com/dq11/

EE123MRUEAUPYo2?format=jpg&name=900x900

Edited by Dakhil
  • Like 2

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1176213647757955072

#DragonQuestXI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition launches for #NintendoSwitch, 9/27! During this Japanese language presentation, #SmashBrosUltimate director Masahiro Sakurai will join to talk with @DragonQuest creator Yuji Horii. The livestream begins 5am PT, 9/26!

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1176247366069968905

Many charismatic allies join the Luminary on his quest in #DragonQuestXI XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition. Who's going in your party of four? dragonquest.nintendo.com/dq11/

Edited by Dakhil

Look what I saw at Nintendo of America's Twitter.

1500x500

652076721_NintendoofAmericaTwitter.thumb.png.963d771a092ee90fd885bc342b3a1856.png

The question is, who does Dragon Quest belong to? :P

I'm being completely facetious here. But I find it funny that even though Dragon Quest belongs to Square Enix, Nintendo markets Dragon Quest like it's one of their first party IPs in the West.
Edited by Dakhil
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 million people are seeing Toriyama art and wondering what it is, and are hopefully trying to get the answer.

• Upvote 1

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1176511610325569538

#DragonQuest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition launches in just three days! Meet the expert martial artist Jade, as well as the rest of the game's colorful cast of characters this Friday!

EFLw3gIUUAAcNri?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Dakhil
  • Like 1

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1176617304970317825

Meet friendly marshmallow-like creatures called Tockles in #DragonQuest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition! They'll help you travel to past DRAGON QUEST worlds in reimagined 2D visuals. Which world are you most excited to visit?

Edited by Dakhil

I just have to say...it's about DAMN time Dragon Quest is finally becoming a "thing" here in the USA. I've my entire life here watching Final Fantasy take spotlight and never liked it as much as Dragon Quest.

Now look where we're at. Seems the tide turned with the releases of VII/VIII for the 3DS, Builders and the Smash Ultimate cameos. Everything seemed to heat up around that time.

I mean no offense to any Final Fantasy fans around here when I say this, so please don't take this personally, but...to hell with Final Fantasy. Seriously. While I loved Final Fantasy VII, I feel it was the beginning of the end for that series. I hated how they seemed to mainly stray into that steam/techno punk style as their main staple for the rest of the series. I actually bought a few of the newer Final Fantasies for my Switch this year and dropped both before completing them. One of them was the "pocket" version of one of the newer games while the other was some odd game (can't even be bothered to remember the title) where you transform from an anime-style form into a chibi-style form.

I tried--I really tried to get into those games but I just couldn't. I feel that modern Final Fantasy...lacks a soul. It's difficult to explain.

Dragon Quest remained true to itself and did so in a non-repetitive way. I really hated that "Pocket" Final Fantasy I played and its battle system. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't like that style of RPG in most cases.

Final Fantasy doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, if you ask me. Dragon Quest, on the other hand, immediately enthralls me every time I play a new installment. XI's demo alone gripped me in a way that none of the modern Final Fantasy games ever did. Yeah, it was cool to see swords in a futuristic Blade Runner-esque world in VII and all but it didn't need to become a series staple. That Pocket Final Fantasy felt like some sort of Mad Max meets Final Fantasy and just fell flat with me. The battles were boring and I grew tired of the battles quickly.

Again, I'm not knocking anyone who loves Final Fantasy but, for me, VII was the last good one. Dragon Quest, on the other hand, just keeps getting better and better in my view. Even Falrod in DQVII handled that "medieval meets the future" style so much better than most Final Fantasy games have, in my opinion. FF1-7 are it for me. Dragon Quest? I've yet to play a bad one.

11 hours ago, Dakhil said:

These guys remind me of those ghost forms your characters take when they're dead in DQII, III and IV. In fact--I thought that's what it was when I first played the demo a few weeks ago, LOL!

• Like 1

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1176873996459171843

The wait is almost over, darlings! #DragonQuest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age – Definitive Edition is out on #NintendoSwitch in just two days!

EFQbq2GUUAA3aUP?format=jpg&name=large

Edited by Dakhil
  • Like 1

So what are the real differences between this "S - Definitive Edition" and the "Edition of Light" on PS4? Did I buy the "Edition of Light" for nothing, or will the new content become DLC? What's going on?

So what are the real differences between this "S - Definitive Edition" and the "Edition of Light" on PS4? Did I buy the "Edition of Light" for nothing, or will the new content become DLC? What's going on?
Definitive Edition is a HUGE upgrade from the PS4 version and while nothing has been said, this is a case of no news is bad news. Personally I don't suspect they'll add it as DLC. This is an upgrade and Squeenix wants us to buy the upgrade.

This about sums it up:
https://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/589131-dragon-quest-11-switch-definitive-edition-version-differences-vs-ps4-pc

12 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Definitive Edition is a HUGE upgrade from the PS4 version and while nothing has been said, this is a case of no news is bad news. Personally I don't suspect they'll add it as DLC. This is an upgrade and Squeenix wants us to buy the upgrade.

This about sums it up:
https://www.gamerevolution.com/guides/589131-dragon-quest-11-switch-definitive-edition-version-differences-vs-ps4-pc

It's times like these I'm extra thankful that I am not a Playstation or Xbox person. I've stuck with Nintendo all my life and have never been steered wrong.

Wow, I'm in for quite a treat this Friday! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

It's times like these I'm extra thankful that I am not a Playstation or Xbox person. I've stuck with Nintendo all my life and have never been steered wrong.
Wow, I'm in for quite a treat this Friday! 
I'd normally be quite annoyed, but about 2 years ago I was 100% geared up and excited to get both the PS4 and the 3DS copies. I wanted to play through once in the highest rez and once in the 16-bit. So, I'm happily double-dipping with this. Completely understand the people annoyed by this (not that you're one ).
  • Upvote 1

I don’t regret buying the PS4 version. I got 200+ hours out of the game and platinumed it. I imported the 3DS version and enjoyed it. I’m happy with getting the Switch version and any bonuses that come with it because I’ve already enjoyed the game twice; third time will be the charm too.

Maybe the bonuses will come to PS4/Steam like a year or so from now, but even if you only can access the PS4/Steam version for whatever reason, you’re still getting a damn good game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I'd normally be quite annoyed, but about 2 years ago I was 100% geared up and excited to get both the PS4 and the 3DS copies. I wanted to play through once in the highest rez and once in the 16-bit. So, I'm happily double-dipping with this. Completely understand the people annoyed by this (not that you're one emoji23.png).

Nothing wrong with double-dipping. We always double-dip with the franchises we love. ;) 

Yeah, I'm not trying to sound like a gloating jerk or anything. I was envious of all the people who owned PS4's who bought this game when it released. I just sat there, breathed a sigh and thought: "It's only a matter of time before they bring it over to Nintendo.".

That's why I'm yammering on this--they exceeded my expectations. I thought they'd throw us a bone and give the Western version a 3DS release. Instead, not ONLY did they shock me by giving it a Switch release but they also shocked me by throwing all these exclusive features in.

I was afforded a rare opportunity to buy my Switch on the console's release year (something I usually can never afford to do with new console releases) and it's been paying off ever since. I feel like I'm being rewarded for my years of loyalty to Nintendo lately with all these ports like Doom, Wolfenstein and now this all coming over.

I'm just excited. How often do we Nintendo fans get "the better edition"? Not often.

7 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I don’t regret buying the PS4 version. I got 200+ hours out of the game and platinumed it. I imported the 3DS version and enjoyed it. I’m happy with getting the Switch version and any bonuses that come with it because I’ve already enjoyed the game twice; third time will be the charm too.

Maybe the bonuses will come to PS4/Steam like a year or so from now, but even if you only can access the PS4/Steam version for whatever reason, you’re still getting a damn good game.

Absolutely. Beggars can't be choosers and I wanted XI so badly that I would have so settled for a localized 3DS port and nothing else.

Plus, the Playstation-only owners could import the 3DS version as you did and get the majority of the Switch bonus right there.

10 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I'd also add that, if a person really loves something, they won't necessarily mind buying it again if they're able to afford it. That's why I own several versions of nearly every Dragon Quest game. That's why I'll buy the Switch versions of I-III despite owning numerous versions (as well as emulated versions) of them.

45 minutes ago, NeoDevilbane said:

The Edition of Light is like the main game.  The Definitive Edition is the main game with extras, fillers, and Quality of Life changes.

Minor changes like certain cutscenes are connected.  For instance, when you meet Erik for the first time, in the original releases, you had to walk into his cell to trigger cutscene #2.  In the Switch version, cutscene #2 and #1 are spliced together, and you only have to enter his cell once to move the story along.

Horse bumping off enemies can give EXP (not with the Draconian EXP cap setting, where the level you can bump off enemies with the horse, is the same base-level the game uses to calculate for the Draconian EXP setting...which starts as a base level for each enemy, can be +1 levels above, or if you have Super Strong enemies, is base level +1 automatically, and potentially base level +2...it's fixed to each enemy for each playthrough, so the game creates a fixed list for that playthrough that can be different on any new playthroughs).

-=---=-

The bonus of having the PS4:

1) Higher quality graphics.  MUCH higher textures.  Higher resolution (up to 4k, it's 900p upscaled to 1080p when docked, and 720p when in handheld).  Though I actually prefer the look on my Switch Lite.  It is noticeable how many trees were removed in certain spots, and how simple the leaf textures are. How much grass, foliage, and flowers were removed.  PERFECTLY smooth characters, no jagges of any kind.

2) Virtually no pop-in.  When running on foot or galloping there's some pop-in, but when not pressing the run button there's none.  On the Switch, there's still pop-in when walking at the slowest speed (just flowers and some shrubs/foliage).

3) You get a 90~120 hour game that's 100% complete, no plot holes, though there's arguably one with a certain post-game special ending, it's done more as fan service, but there are definite hints to help alleviate plot hole issues.  The Switch will be excessively long by comparison due to extra sidequests that help tell what the other party members are doing at a certain point in the game where they're not in your party.  I won't say why or what.  Before it was textually explained to an adequate degree, which you'll get with the PS4/PC.  In the Switch this will be greatly expanded to make them full storyline sidequests, complete with at least one boss battle (for at least 2 of them), however this won't add much to the story so much as filler.  So it isn't like it's necessary to your main quest, or your characters development.  Between the two sets of extra quests, the game can probably be a 110~150 hour game, if not longer.

4) No clipping, no v-sync issues when turning the camera really fast, no warped/strange shadow behaviour, dynamic lighting that's realistic, occlusion that's realistic.  The Switch has this oddball thing with shimmering/water-like shadows on some maps, where in windy areas, the shadows move, even for buildings and characters, even for parts of the body that aren't being affected by the wind, like you'll see almost like lapping water on the shore of a lake, the shadows fluctuate in shape...it's a little strange.  Then when you exit and enter buildings, on the Switch, the light source changes to the inside light when going outside, or when near a window.  So if it's nighttime, you'll see a blue hue cast on everything, then when nearing a window, suddenly the world becomes a stark yellow (not the outdoor sunlight yellow, but the indoor light yellow).  It can be really odd to see at times, especially when exiting a building, in the process of walking through a door, you get a .5 seconds of blue or white light source, then yellow, and keep walking out for the blue or white lighting for outdoor areas to pop.  This also erases natural shadows because the indoor light just floods the shadow area, so when those pop back in, it's like...wtf.  I wish the Switch didn't do this, but maybe they had to...I don't know.  In the PS4/PC it's a natural seemless transition.  Nevermind the natural shadows that behave as shadows should.

5) I had this in my head as I was typing #4, now it's gone.  NOW I REMEMBER!  Ok, the camera in the PS4/PC is normal.  It's like looking through a movie camera, or at a movie, or a normal game.  The Switch camera is more like looking at a Go-Pro.  It's fine when things are stationary, but when panning left and right, the camera lens feels and seems like a slight sphere that the world bends around, and it's flat in the corners and at the edges.  This affect was a touch nauseating when I first experienced it.  It helps to speed up the movement but leaving it slow puts me in a bit of a dizzy state of mind.  Now I can't speak for a TV, as I have a Lite, and not a normal Switch, so it could be fine there.

6) First person mode!  Some people really enjoy playing this game in 1st person, where you can move about on the world map, in dungeons, and in towns, in a reversal of the old DQ style of play (1st person in battle, 3rd in the field/town/dungeon).  The Switch doesn't seem to have this feature (also reported by those who have an earlier copy of the game).

====

That said, there are a LOT of things the Switch does add.  So I have both, and I'm super happy to still play my PS4, though I definitely prefer the Switch.

• Upvote 1

It  just kind of blows. A year ago I bought DQ XI for $60 for PS4 and I've only maybe played a few days on it, but I've been itching to get back into it and complete the game. Now I can only trade in my DQ XI for like $20 or less, and now I have to pay another $60 to get the "definitive" version of the game?

This seems like beneath Square-Enix. This is like a Capcom move, still stuck in their 1990s business model.

Edited by NeoDevilbane

16 minutes ago, NeoDevilbane said:

It  just kind of blows. A year ago I bought DQ XI for $60 for PS4 and I've only maybe played a few days on it, but I've been itching to get back into it and complete the game. Now I can only trade in my DQ XI for like $20 or less, and now I have to pay another $60 to get the "definitive" version of the game?

This seems like beneath Square-Enix. This is like a Capcom move, still stuck in their 1990s business model.

The game came out in mid 2017 in Japan. We got a lot of extra features that the original JPN release didn't. They are now just getting the ability to sprint and have voice acting after 2 and a half years of wait. This version of the game was announced well before the Nintendo Switch was revealed to the public. So we knew it was going to be out well before. SE stated themselves that this version of the game was going to include extra features several months before the game was released outside of Japan.

I want the content on PC and PS4 like everyone else. But to get upset over it is just dumb. This information was easily available online for months before the PS4 and PC release. Also this isn't "beneath" Square. Final Fantasy XV was a damn good example of this. As far as I am concerned they are just as bad.

Edited by Twinkie

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1176949491997519873

The countdown to the launch of #DragonQuest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition continues! Meet the wild youth Erik and the travelling entertainer Sylvando—two adventurers who will join you in quests and turn-based battles across the kingdom of Erdrea.

Edited by Dakhil

3 hours ago, NeoDevilbane said:

The best way to handle this, is not to look through this as:

1) SE's decision.  It's not.  Horii makes 100% of the decisions, unless he delegates them.  He's the goose that lays golden eggs, plus he literally owns the stories, the game scenario data and battle data, the sound effects, the characters (not their models), and the enemies (not their models).  He has copyright to all of that.

2) From a Western perspective, and the timeline difference.

Also to consider that the 3DS version, compared to the PS4, had distinct content, slight differences in the quest system, slight differences in the items found on the maps, differences (some major) in town layout, differences in enemy battle party size (PS4 caps at 5 for most small enemies, 6 for tiny/goopies, 2 for medium, and 1 for large, while the 3DS both 3D and 2D cap at 8 / 8 / 4 / 1 for each size orientation).  PS4 has the crossbow, 3DS does not.  3DS has 2D mode, PS4 does not.  3DS had the previous DQ worlds sidequest and with it several outfits, and a whole mini-game that plays out like a sidescrolling Yokai Watch, where you recruit Yochi / Tockles to battle for you, in a dungeon, where they attack things automatically (so you have to pick ones based on stats/skills/spells to be active dungeon divers.

The point being the 3DS was a different game, and intended to be as such.  So the Switch also having distinct content.  The Yochi / Tockle village sidequest is different in the Switch, in that all the worlds are forced into 16-bit 2D and 8-bit audio, and there's no Yochi Dungeon, but instead the story hands out the access points to the previous DQ worlds through speaking to Yochi's/Tockles on the world map, in towns, and maybe in dungeons.

-----====----

The thing with Japan is that Japanese gamers, to buy a game on a new system, even if it's a release they haven't played, require that new release to have new content.

This is something the Japanese public expects, and the gaming public there expects.

DQ's 1 + 2 on Android, have almost identical sales numbers in Japan as in the US.  The reason is likely because it has no new content.

DQ's 1+2+3 on the Wii sold 387k.  At that time, it was by FAR the lowest sales count for any DQ on a console ever.  Including spinoffs.  DQ remakes average around 1.2~1.3m, and this includes DQ8 on 3DS, which had poor numbers (859k in Japan, no clue on US sales).  Why such low numbers?  The Wii release had no new content.  The 3DS version of DQ8 has new content that's late game, a lot of content, but it's mostly locked to 70% and beyond in the main game.  Almost none of it is experienced early on, and the change in the encounter system doesn't alter the experience a whole lot, plus graphically it was a downgrade (not much of an issue in Japan, but I'm sure that played a part...they really should have made it a New 3DS exclusive, so they could keep the trees and remove the world map sectioning/cut-offs).

It's even uglier for the 3DS and PS4 releases of DQ's 1~3.  Sales numbers are so low, SE isn't posting them.  This is likely the main reason why Japan's Switch release is Digital only, despite knowing Digital sales in Japan are LOW (like 5~10%, sometimes a little higher).

GBC numbers are also 2/3rds of the SFC for DQ's 1+2, and 1/2 of the SFC for DQ3.  This is because the GBC releases have no new content, but slight tweaks, for DQ's 1+2 (and release proximity was rather short), and for 3, the additional content is post-game only, with slight tweaks leading up to it (plus the medal collecting was mind numbing).  Meaning nothing to see or do that's NEW or exciting for the Japanese audience.  Still, 720 and 750k respectively are good numbers for the GBC releases.

The thing is, until the mobile porting, and the Wii releases, the general flow of DQ releases, and this is likely pushed further by FF's rerelease numbers (400~600k per in Japan, and FF4 DS is around 700k, which is tragically low, likely because it has altered content, and content that changes gameplay, but new dungeons/etc it does not have, new equipment etc. it does not have), is more so a result of the Japanese market itself, and the obvious desire for a new purchase or new release of a game to have two things going for it:

1) by new content, I mean new equipment, new storylines, new characters, new dungeons, new things to explore and places to see, new npcs, new towns...not just tweaks to how existing things work, and often a bit more than average.
2) timeline...though this is true for any market, the further away from the previous release, the higher the chance of encouraging new buyers.

Alterations to gameplay and core mechanics that are easily experienced does seem to play some positive role (FF4 DS actually seeing higher sales than the GBA release, even if they weren't fantastic numbers, is indicative...and there are other releases I can't think of off the top of my head, but Tales of Destiny's remake on PS2 comes to mind).

It's what's expected, and what game companies and creators realize they have to capitulate to, in order to secure sales.

----====----

The Switch version was intended to be released alongside the PS4 and 3DS.  However SE's announcement screw in the timing, and Epic's obvious screw up behind the scenes in likely giving SE and other companies a promise for UE4's Switch delivery messed up the time line for release.

The Switch could have been started about 2/3rds into the PS4/3DS production, but that would be silly...pulling resources early, and stretching the SE programmers/artists/management/producers thin as the other teams were busy.  So they postponed Switch production until after the 3DS and PS4 were completed, as it was already expected the Switch would release.

So why release 1 year later for Japan, which is the main market, and just do a PS4 downgrade with a few extras, when you can take things over the top, and release 2 years later to potentially much higher sales?  There's also the US market to consider.

----====----

Technically we shouldn't know about the Japanese Switch version release notes until around May of this year, as we didn't see any official announcements related to DQ11 for the West until just prior to e3.  Not since the initial PS4 announcement which disclosed the Switch would come later (so we were pre-warned the Switch would come next).  So for us, it should be a 6 month period.  Due to the internet, that's not really practical for people who do pay attention.  So for us, we already knew ahead of time the Switch would be the superior version, as said information came out in Japan.

Essentially, given the above, they have to assure Switch sales are high, and capitulate to Japanese market expectations, while also offering things the Western market is likely aware of, and wanted in the 3DS version (2D + Tockle Sidequest).  They're also taking things a step further with QoL changes to make the Switch fix the complaints on every message forum (here and in Japan...something they actually did, meaning when Horii stated he "challenged" the producer and director to put themselves in the player's shoes and what could they do to improve the gaming experience, I'm sure they actually used SE's marketing resources to do customer research, and thank God we have easy places to find answers as to what gamers want...message forums and fan groups).  The level of consideration, and number of items repeated by most fans as to what would improve the experience that are present in the QoL changes and additions, are so exact to fan demands, it would be a stroke of luck if they came up with these on their own, and they just happened to parallel with our lines of thought.

So they really wanted to go out of their way to make for the best possible experience.

----====----

There's another factor that is Japanese specific.  If they released a PS4 patch early, or announced one, then Japanese retailers (and likely US/EU retailers) would be more reticent in how they pushed DQ11S and how many copies beyond pre-orders they were willing to purchase.  Why buy a lot of stock in a game likely to see lower numbers due to lack of repurchases.  Maybe 3DS to Switch, just for the PS4-style graphics, but PS4 gamers who own a Switch?  It's unlikely they'd be interested, or as interested if they could spend less money on a patch.

There's also Nintendo's incentive on the Smash push.  If there is any official announcement of any PS4/PC, that would pull out the rug from under Nintendo's incentive to push the game outside the US.  I mean they'd still make bank, but there would be less desire to really make this game a focus, which they're clearly doing with the banner shift on social media, on top of the Hero character in Smash.

Nevermind marketing for the Switch with a PS4 patch would be free marketing for PS4, while doing far less for the Switch, which overall is a bad investment (plus Sony gets a cut on PS4 DLC, and Nintendo does not).

Plus total numbers on any one system are what determine real hard sales data and whether investment was worthwhile.  SE, Horii, and Nintendo do have to assure the extra effort, work, and content, and the costs going into this both in development, but also in marketing, pay off.

SE and Horii though, would be more likely to make extra money pushing portable DQ11 on the Switch, and putting a hefty $20~30 price tag on a DLC pack, or split them into subgroups of DLC that add up to like $25 or so, at the same time, and release it under the radar with a single social media post that it exists, and let the fanbase reposts do the rest.  So technically it's not so much about money overall, but on total investment for this particular version on a single system (and likely because SE posted Nintendo helped them optimize the game...and yeah, it's optimized, smoother than melty butter).

----====----

I really should have written baseline notes as I forgot my last point.  OH, right.

Let's assume the Switch release were done at the same time as the PS4 and 3DS in Japan, and thus PS4 and PC outside Japan.  The Switch would still have unique content that isn't part of the PS4 or 3DS editions.  Though likely it would be completely different from what is present.  There would be no:

1) 3DS content, we'd be screwed out of that entirely (it's almost guaranteed that would not be present, and that the 3DS would still not be released here).
2) None, and I mean NONE of the QoL changes, that stuff is thanks to the wait period.
3) The clean and crisp, perfect 30FPS (so far) PS4 slight downgrade graphics
4) Orchestrated OST, and not broken like DQ's 7 and 8 3DS, but complete tracks.  100% complete.  Not just that, but the DQ8 overworld track with the DQ8 hero costume, in orchestrated...and PROPERLY INTEGRATED and formatted, unlike on the PS2.  By God that is nice.  Plus any sabrecat you ride (can ride really), uses Baumrun's music, also orchestrated, from DQ8!  Which brings me to my next point:
5) The extra monster mounts would most certainly NOT be present, nor as cleverly devised.  They really put a lot of effort into how the new mounts look, and are used.  Far more so than the originals, which are fairly plain and straight forward.
6) almost certainly no 3DS release in the US/EU given the 3DS was already dying out, and Nintendo knows full well most new purchases are from enthusiasts wanting to buy new versions/revisions of the system, which is why all the effort in the New 3DS and New 2DS eras, in only releasing intriguing specialized case designs one after another, more than any other system they've ever released, ever.  More than Sony, more than Microsoft.  There are like 30 something distinct New 3DS and 2DS models.  They're cashing in on people like me, who adore the New 3DS and 2DS (if I could, I'd get one of every single release...I love the system...best damn system I've ever owned).
7) There's no way to know if the sub-stories for the different party members would also be present.

They might have done a totally unique sidequest instead, or gone for a completely distinct look for the Switch, and not copy the PS4 art style.  What's present is bloody amazing for what the Switch can do...I mean on my Lite...it looks amazing, except for the oddities like the shadows, the occasional clipping, and the light issues when going in/out of buildings, I prefer the Switch to my PS4.  I don't know why, but it's more pleasing to my eye, despite the many changes in details.  I actually want to see DQ7 remade right now in this look and feel (with Kiefer as a permanent party member down the line...if they marketed that, my God, the lines of DQ fans who would shell out money right now).

----====----

I had one other point I cannot recall at this time, but I think this does the job.

OH, now I remember.  The timeline for the US/EU sucks.  It's only a year for us, while over two years for Japan (actually closer to 2.6 years).

This is likely due to the testing and balancing for Stronger Monsters.  There's a lot of it.  I do mean a LOT.  The stats, ability changes, number of attacks per round, etc. showcase specific targeting of enemies in each area, considering their base values and desired difficulty swing being relatively consistent across the game, assuming you're not over leveling, and taking into consideration likely paths (maybe focus on one weapon or skill group type until 40).  As a result, it spent more time in localization than previous DQ's. 

Plus there's the general reality that until now, where we are seeing a worldwide simultaneous release with 4 games at once (DQ11S, DQ1, DQ2, and DQ3 on Switch), we are a secondary market, and localization doesn't begin until late development, or after development.  Japan is the main market, and we're kind of lucky to see a release now instead of next year, which is what literally every DQ fan except myself predicted, and even for me, while I predicted this might be simultaneous, I was very hesitant about that, and more of the belief it would be +1 or 2 months, while everyone else logically anticipated +6 months or more (which based on precedent, is practical).

So I guess I get why some people feel like it's a money grab, a bit unfair, and a bit of a shitty move, but it's not about that.  It's just circumstance, and timing, and a switch (no pun intended) in dynamics.