Sign in to follow this  
Shun 'Kanamee

Should I get Builders 2?

So I am in the process of completing Dragon Quest Builders 1 (In Chapter 4, last thing I have left is to build a library if I can and a torture room then Dragon Lord time) and I am interested in Builders 2. For one thing, Dragon Quest II was my first DQ game and so one of my most nostalgic, and I would assume the game is much more expansive and has more chapters given it's in Torland and all. Am I right in that assumption. Should I get it if I want a more expansive, freer, and less stressful (I felt like Builders 1 pestered me with quests) than the first one? Is it so? Thanks in advance.

5 hours ago, Shun 'Kanamee said:

I want a more expansive, freer, and less stressful (I felt like Builders 1 pestered me with quests)

This is my primary reason for holding out on the sequel... Judging by the demo, DQB2 is gonna be just as demanding and stingy about what you're doing all the time - but it's really hard to tell, as it ends before you actually get to build anything.

Chapter 4 in DQB1 was still a big improvement over the earlier ones I think, and I would have loved the majority of the game being like that.

I've seen in so many reviews, and in Saigan's streams, that DQB2 is much better than the original.

Get it.

Yes, you should.

Here's the thing. The gameplay doesn't change.

Are you going to have 3 villagers asking you to do 3 different side quests/main quests the whole time? Yep.

That's just the way the game is designed. If you want to go ahead and just ignore them and build, go right ahead.

Oddly for those who know me, I have a major beef with DQB2, and maybe it's just the first island, I haven't beat it in 8-10 hours yet: too much #$*!ing farming. If I wanted farming I'd do Harvest Moon or Stardew Valley or wait for my beloved Rune Factory 4 remake. I don't like it in my DQB at all and one of the main quests on this first island is to have 250 squares of farmland going at once. It's a real #$*!.

Other than that, I'm enjoying it. Like you, I'd never gotten around to beating the first... until like 4 weeks ago where I powered through the game in 10 days. Builders is my least favorite spin-off title, but it's DQ and I love DQ, so there it is. It's fun, you'd probably like it.

The farming is only one the first island. Each island is broken up into themese that tackle different elements of the gameplay. Farming is the core mechanics for the first island.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/17/2019 at 2:03 PM, AustNerevar said:

The farming is only one the first island. Each island is broken up into themese that tackle different elements of the gameplay. Farming is the core mechanics for the first island.

You still need farming later on though, but you can just divert your villagers to handle harvesting and maintenance.

- EDIT: apparently you do not

Going by DQ's 9 and 11, the quest systems were devised for 1/4 to be story, 1/4 to be rare item or material gains, and 1/2 to be gameplay related.  The gameplay related and rare item/material quests were always about one thing: getting players to use skills and abilities they either wouldn't normally use, or would use sparingly.  In ways to teach players how they function and the best ways to use them.  In the case of 9, this was always best to do WHEN available, as some if done late can be painful, like the spike return-damage ability, you'd need a Paladin at a low level to take enough damage to return enough damage to kill the armours easily.

Anyway, the point is, like with the quest system, and first game, the nature of each section, as Aust mentions, is to teach about mechanics, as like with DQ9, DQB is about end-game and post-game.

Take Builders 1.  Chapters 1~3 were introductory chapters to 4 and Terra Incognita.

Same with this scenario.  Same with the first 5 missions in Heroes 2 (I assume the same for 1).  They're there to introduce elements and teach how they work for the longer sections later.

So the best step would be to change your mindset to how these things work.  Get into the groove and learning the mechanics of it.  The nice thing about Builders 2 though, is unlike 1, you'll use those elements in the next islands a bit more.  Rather than literally do everything brand new, which is a nice touch, and something I'm looking forward to.  However given how villagers work in this one, and how many you can have...and that this is more of an ARPG with Builder elements, than a Builder game with ARPG elements, use the villagers to get things going in the village, rather than hope they do work/build useful things for you.

Edited by ignasia

Buy it. There's a swath of things to do and more freedom to build. The characters are far more interactive.

Great news.

Is hunger as big of an issue as Builders 1? Are maps larger and are there more challenged/easter eggs in it?

Is hunger as big of an issue as Builders 1? Are maps larger and are there more challenged/easter eggs in it?

The entire first island/chapter is all about making one freaking gigantic farm. You'll have TONS of food pretty fast.

Challenges? Well there are small places (7 I think on first island) to do tiny building/destroying challenges that net you a mini medal each.

Places seem huge, town area on first island felt cramped.

Posted (edited)

And are towns as compressed/cramped or can they be built on a larger scale than Builders 1?

Oh, one major issue I had in the original game was water physics and allotment. It'd be better if the bucket was able to transfer blocks of water ALA minecraft.

Edited by Shun 'Kanamee

And are towns as compressed/cramped or can they be built on a larger scale than Builders 1?

Oh, one major issue I had in the original game was water physics and allotment. It'd be better if the bucket was able to transfer blocks of water ALA minecraft.
There's a whole system for picking up and putting down water. I found it quite easy!

I found the town to maybe be a bit larger. The elevation changes and stuff I couldn't move plus needing so many tiles for farms killed space on island #1. Home base island doesn't seem to have many restrictions at all.

The water physics are identical to Minecrafts, same with the water placement. It isn't a pain in the ass like with DQB1.

16 hours ago, ignasia said:

Take Builders 1.  Chapters 1~3 were introductory chapters to 4 and Terra Incognita.

That would have been really cool if it didn't mean literally 75% of the game was a tutorial.

19 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Here's the thing. The gameplay doesn't change.

Are you going to have 3 villagers asking you to do 3 different side quests/main quests the whole time? Yep.

That's just the way the game is designed. If you want to go ahead and just ignore them and build, go right ahead.

To me the issue isn't whether people ask you to do stuff... I mean, having clear goals is exactly what separates it from Minecraft and makes it its own interesting thing. The balance is in how strict/open what they ask you to do is. Like even after you crash the ship in the demo, you're still drawn along a line of going to very specific places and doing very specific things. An event happens and you are expected to go up to the top of the mountain the be given the hammer, etc.

It's so tightly dragged down a specific route, that it feels completely pointless to even be playing the game. I might as well be watching just one long cutscene of someone else doing it - there's really no difference - all the qualities of the fun atmosphere and quirky dialogue would still be there. It's what makes the majority of DQB1 and the entirety of the DQB2 demo feel like a tutorial to me.

No matter what, I know I'll be enjoying DQB2, because I at the end of the day I enjoyed DQB1. And simply being able to return to old locations, and not being punished for faffing about building your own ideas due to the existance of some pointless "challenge", are two changes that are enough to immediately make me like this game a lot more than its predecessor.

But I just really wouldn't mind if they'd improved the whole quest structure thing, too. Really.

• Like 1

I get it@Sumez. I finished the first island finally last night and then went back there to raid all their stuff and bring it to my main island. I'm sure I'm building a little encampment far away from where I think the game likely will point to me building, but I enjoyed the freedom to do so on that island.

New gripe. Seriously there's a scavenger hunt with 3mm x 3mm pictures on the somewhat optional side islands. I found all but 3 of the items by walking around, but it seems like so much fluff for a huge area and the reward (for me) isn't worth it. Free certain supplies that I won't use. It'll be really useful for people wanting to build palatial estates though.

Posted (edited)

How many chapters are in this? There are more towns in Torland so I assume it's like Middenhal, Cannock (With Leftwayne), Moonebrooke (With Hamlin and the Wind Tower), Lion's Port, Osterfair, Baran, and Tuhn as separate chapters? How does it work?

Edited by Shun 'Kanamee

@Sumez  Well I get where you're coming from, but Tantegel on its own is a pretty expansive area, with a lot of extra to do (like using Holy Water on the land to uncover your ore blocks...woe to those who destroy them without it.

I guess in the case of Builders, and in this game as well, Post game is the real fun.  You can even make monster summoning tickets, which is fun all on its own, both for challenges, or in crafting a death zone, a farming field, and have access to like near infinite everything.  The islands are all huge...really really huge.  Builders 2 it's even bigger as the upper limitations are way way higher.

So for the creators, I think they're looking at it like Terra Incognita is 99% of the game, and the story only 1%.  Though for those who only care about the story sections...yeah, that's a totally different way to look at things.  You'd think they would split things up into like 10 chapters, and 1~3 are introductions, while 4~10 are challenges to varying degrees.

One thing I don't like about Terra Incognita is that it's too easy. I wish I had the same upward progression as in the story-mode and having your towns besieged, just on a larger and more free and open ended scale, but I feel that i develop my stuff too fast and there is not much to do past building my town. Maybe having more building recipes could help. Are there more in Building 2? Are the buildings like the Cantlin Garden, Hela Hot Baths, etc in this too?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Shun 'Kanamee said:

One thing I don't like about Terra Incognita is that it's too easy. I wish I had the same upward progression as in the story-mode and having your towns besieged, just on a larger and more free and open ended scale, but I feel that i develop my stuff too fast and there is not much to do past building my town. Maybe having more building recipes could help. Are there more in Building 2? Are the buildings like the Cantlin Garden, Hela Hot Baths, etc in this too?

The point of Builders 1 continued building is the limit is what you're looking to build in terms of scope and dynamics.  There are ways to build other types of structures by getting creative.  Sometimes with standard blocks you encounter, like Clay, Ash, Obsidian, etc.  Then combining them with normal building blocks.  Like my Tantegel has a ton of Chalk for it's second floor, as it's a cool white colour (as unfortunately I'm building prior to actually finding the flag...yeah, that part is fun:)  I plan to make Tantegel into a floating castle in the sky, with a series of steps just one block up so the townsfolk can still get back to town, surrounded by smaller buildings, and where the useful rooms are either on the ground (for the start of the game), and eventually moved into the air as extensions of the main castle, probably 5 blocks up and higher.

Anyway...as to your question:

1) A lot more block types you can make to build innately.
2) More in the DLC.
3) A lot more furniture types, also in the DLC.
4) You can even carve blocks, to a degree, to create small channels if you want, or recesses.
5) You can even switch out whole sections of blocks for another type if you want to create like a carpet on a spot, without destroying the old and replacing it.   You even get to choose how big a space you'll switch out.a
6) I forgot one thing critical...Water!  Water EVERYWHERE!  You aren't forced to create water channels 2 blocks deep at the lowest point on any map only.  Now you can create lakes/rivers at any height, and waterfalls heading in any direction.  You can even use them to swim and get up cliffs.  Of course the system is a little wonky, sometimes you dump water in and it fills up the whole channel.  Sometimes you dump water in and it's a literal block floating in air.

The cool thing about floating water though...you could make a space age (there are even modern blocks/windows/furniture)...semi space age anyway, floating city with water dripping from it.  Or those giant floating cubes of water in Blue Dragon.

Edited by ignasia

I guess the problem I have is I am not very creative with things. Like I want to build but I just cannot come up with anything. I also feel like there are so many choices of blocks I lose focus on what I can even make.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I get it@Sumez. I finished the first island finally last night and then went back there to raid all their stuff and bring it to my main island. I'm sure I'm building a little encampment far away from where I think the game likely will point to me building, but I enjoyed the freedom to do so on that island.

New gripe. Seriously there's a scavenger hunt with 3mm x 3mm pictures on the somewhat optional side islands. I found all but 3 of the items by walking around, but it seems like so much fluff for a huge area and the reward (for me) isn't worth it. Free certain supplies that I won't use. It'll be really useful for people wanting to build palatial estates though.

Pause the game and press Square (or whatever the Switch equivalent is) to see a bigger version of the list.

I used the side island to grab a ton of seeds because they are very plentiful there and every time to go back the island shuffles.

Edited by Bururian
  • Like 1

Pause the game and press Square (or whatever the Switch equivalent is) to see a bigger version of the list.

I used the side island to grab a ton of seeds because they are very plentiful there and every time to go back the island shuffles.
You can pause the game!?

5 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

You can pause the game!? emoji15.png

...How else have you been accessing the Buildapedia or saving?

4 minutes ago, Bururian said:

...How else have you been accessing the Buildapedia or saving?

Buildapedia? Never looked at that.

Oh, I have been saving. Guess I didn't even think of that. Got it!