Sign in to follow this  
DrippySlimeStar

Should I play DW Monsters 1/2 or Joker 1/2 first?

I've only played a few seconds of the DW Monster games to make sure the games work and I have new copies of the Joker games that I haven't played. I like the concepts of the Monster games since I played Pokémon growing up and I'd like to play them after finishing off the main series of games. Obviously the Joker games are the newer games but are there any huge differences between the games besides graphics? Would it be hard to go back to the GBC games after playing the DS titles?

They are actually extremely different. I have a strong preference for DWM1 and 2. The Joker games have improved through the series, but I don't feel like they land anywhere close to the DWM games. Naturally, your experiences may differ. I don't think it really matters what order you play them in.

1 hour ago, GrandAlchemist said:

They are actually extremely different. I have a strong preference for DWM1 and 2. The Joker games have improved through the series, but I don't feel like they land anywhere close to the DWM games. Naturally, your experiences may differ. I don't think it really matters what order you play them in.

What do you consider difficult about them? From the little snippet I read on here it seems the game is more about focused dungeons so I don't really have an overworld to get lost in without a guide. Sounds like GreatTree is your hub world and you go to different areas via portals...is there backtracking to prior areas or once you've done what you came for, you're done?

Echoing this almost perfectly. DWM 1 was good and DWM2 was what I played till death. I got every single monster as I had 2 systems and 2 games and would battle/trade/breed across versions. It's handily my favorite DQ side game ever.

That said, the Joker games are good. I think they mix a little more DQ mainline into the concept, not necessarily in a bad way. I've played and enjoyed them all. Even did Joker 1 completely in Japanese I was so excited to play when it came out! Last year I played and beat Joker 3. It was quite good. Wish I'd taken a break after Terry's Wonderland because I didn't play it as much due to burnout after back to back long games on the PC (had I played on a 3DS I'd have gone farther).

And now for the Ultimate... the remakes for 3DS. DQM1 - Terry's Wonderland has a wonderful fan translation and I happily played over 50 hours with it last spring and went all the way through the post-game and beat that too. Still hoping and praying things work out for DQM2. They finished translating it all and then last September hit a snag and real life and...

Here's the highlights of the differences to me:
1. DWM you can make any monster awesome with pretty much any mix of skills. Jokers there are definitely tiers and skills have to grow & be enhanced and come in groups, you can't mix and match just anything.

2. DWM1 has mainly the 1 hub and randomly generated portals and then you go back over and over. DWM2 has more set areas but a key system for making infinitely combined random continents (literally my favorite thing in DQM any!) Jokers are more like the regular games, designed over worlds and dungeons.
What do you consider difficult about them? From the little snippet I read on here it seems the game is more about focused dungeons so I don't really have an overworld to get lost in without a guide. Sounds like GreatTree is your hub world and you go to different areas via portals...is there backtracking to prior areas or once you've done what you came for, you're done?
He didn't indicate difficulty, you might have seen "different" and read it incorrectly. None of the games are too hard. Use guides for breeding and you can beat them with pretty much any attacker/buffer/healer group.

The GBC originals have aged better than the first two DS Jokers IMO. Bit graphics still look pretty good if compressed due to GBC limitations, the translation is super simplistic and compressed but I still prefer it over the modern localization style, and the monster selection for 2 in particular is great. Breeding in Monsters 1 is fine, but once you get the ultimate monsters and get them to level 99, and assuming you have beaten all gates, there is not much left except to complete the library. Monsters 2 has a seed system with its keys which allows unlimited possiblities added with more monsters, more challenges, dungeons, bosses, and alternating arena battles. It also has slightly improved graphics compared to monsters with more colors and it also has cool combo abilities. I highly reccomend you play Monsters 1/2 first.

Joker 1 I have not played enough to be sure, but I remember the graphics were grating for me and it was mindnumbingly slow and hardly accessible. Joker 2 vanilla is plain depressing for me, because it has so many cool ideas and a pretty good plot and awesome monsters but it is so lacking in post-game content that the quest to synthing the likes of Aquarion/Libranex/Leonyx/Zenith Dragon just leads to nothing and I just feel more sad than accomplished having played for like 300 hours on it because 250 of these hours have been lather-rinse-repeating scouting --> synthesis --> world of light --> synthesis --> world of light four hours on end.

14 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Echoing this almost perfectly. DWM 1 was good and DWM2 was what I played till death. I got every single monster as I had 2 systems and 2 games and would battle/trade/breed across versions. It's handily my favorite DQ side game ever.

That said, the Joker games are good. I think they mix a little more DQ mainline into the concept, not necessarily in a bad way. I've played and enjoyed them all. Even did Joker 1 completely in Japanese I was so excited to play when it came out! Last year I played and beat Joker 3. It was quite good. Wish I'd taken a break after Terry's Wonderland because I didn't play it as much due to burnout after back to back long games on the PC (had I played on a 3DS I'd have gone farther).

And now for the Ultimate... the remakes for 3DS. DQM1 - Terry's Wonderland has a wonderful fan translation and I happily played over 50 hours with it last spring and went all the way through the post-game and beat that too. Still hoping and praying things work out for DQM2. They finished translating it all and then last September hit a snag and real life and... emoji24.png

Here's the highlights of the differences to me:
1. DWM you can make any monster awesome with pretty much any mix of skills. Jokers there are definitely tiers and skills have to grow & be enhanced and come in groups, you can't mix and match just anything.

2. DWM1 has mainly the 1 hub and randomly generated portals and then you go back over and over. DWM2 has more set areas but a key system for making infinitely combined random continents (literally my favorite thing in DQM any!) Jokers are more like the regular games, designed over worlds and dungeons. He didn't indicate difficulty, you might have seen "different" and read it incorrectly. None of the games are too hard. Use guides for breeding and you can beat them with pretty much any attacker/buffer/healer group.

Oh yeah I totally read "different" wrong. Thank you for such a detailed breakdown. I might look into the remake translations - I've never messed around with a 3DS emulator, only NES and SNES ones.

Joker 2 vanilla is plain depressing for me, because it has so many cool ideas and a pretty good plot and awesome monsters but it is so lacking in post-game content that the quest to synthing the likes of Aquarion/Libranex/Leonyx/Zenith Dragon just leads to nothing and I just feel more sad than accomplished having played for like 300 hours on it because 250 of these hours have been lather-rinse-repeating scouting --> synthesis --> world of light --> synthesis --> world of light four hours on end.

This is quite literally the first time I've ever seen someone not recommend a game they put over 300 hours into!
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

This is quite literally the first time I've ever seen someone not recommend a game they put over 300 hours into! emoji15.pngemoji12.png

I can put that much time in to a game if I wanted to but nowadays it's hard to get in even 2 hours a week night. It's kind of a mental thing that after I see credits roll my time with the game is up and I rarely go back to it for bonus content or post game unless it's a really great game to me. Which reminds me, I should play the DQ3 GBC post game content...

It's kind of a mental thing that after I see credits roll my time with the game is up and I rarely go back to it for bonus content or post game unless it's a really great game to me.

That's me! 100% me!

I get that so much. With limited time and so so many awesome games out there I want to play, it's a difficult mental hurdle to leap. I was all in on Octopath Traveler and loving it, but after seeing "The End" 8 times and credits rolling, I just couldn't do the post-game story. I don't do it in Pokémon either or most any other game.

The past decade the most I've done is DQXI, Fantasy Life, and DQHTWTWATBB. Others, Meh.
  • Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 1:59 PM, Plattym3 said:

This is quite literally the first time I've ever seen someone not recommend a game they put over 300 hours into! emoji15.pngemoji12.png

And it's all for a monster I know is not even all that good

• Like 1

DWM2 > Every other Monsters title.

I'd definitely recommend DWM2 out of the four you mentioned, and maybe its remake if you can play it; there's also thinks like Joker 3 Professional for the Japanese games, but the latter loses a lot of its functionality without network connectivity. There is also a randomizer for DWM2 if you get bored playing the original.