Jump to content
DrippySlimeStar

Is my Dragon Quest VI cart a fake?

Recommended Posts

I bought my copy from Gamestop about 3 years ago ao a return is out of the question. I started up the game on my DS Lite and after taking the game out of sleep mode it froze up. The game also wouldn't start a couple times. It seems to run fine on my 3DS (no crashes or freezes) but I'm kind of worried since I've never seen this with any DS/3DS games. Old GameFAQ threads point to pirated copies and I'm really hoping I didn't get one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I bought my copy from Gamestop about 3 years ago ao a return is out of the question. I started up the game on my DS Lite and after taking the game out of sleep mode it froze up. The game also wouldn't start a couple times. It seems to run fine on my 3DS (no crashes or freezes) but I'm kind of worried since I've never seen this with any DS/3DS games. Old GameFAQ threads point to pirated copies and I'm really hoping I didn't get one.
Could be. I have a fake Rune Factory 2 cart. In my DS-lite when I close the lid it doesn't go into sleep mode and occasionally crashes if I try and then open it back up. Other than that it worked 100% fine and I played the entire game.

I'd ordered it off ebay and thought it off for a bit.

Here's a perfect way to tell, mine was obvious once I looked here. I messaged the seller with photos and a link like this and got my money back ASAP.

http://www.detectafake.com/viewProduct/?2696666aaf40aaaefba77c0d713db2d2e414c8.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Could be. I have a fake Rune Factory 2 cart. In my DS-lite when I close the lid it doesn't go into sleep mode and occasionally crashes if I try and then open it back up. Other than that it worked 100% fine and I played the entire game.

I'd ordered it off ebay and thought it off for a bit.

Here's a perfect way to tell, mine was obvious once I looked here. I messaged the seller with photos and a link like this and got my money back ASAP.

http://www.detectafake.com/viewProduct/?2696666aaf40aaaefba77c0d713db2d2e414c8.jpg

The "sleep mode" problem was the exact one I was having. I looked at the article and the only thing that sticks out as potentially fake is the Nintendo on the back. Everything in the legit  pictures looks like what I have but it only takes one thing to make a fake. Well...guess I just can't put the game in sleep mode. Bummer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don’t buy games that can be counterfeited from a GameStop. There’s no quality control. I’ve seen photos of obviously bootleg games sitting right next to authentic ones. At least when you buy a cheap game from China on eBay you can expect to get a fake. GameStop will just sell it to you at full price. A couple years ago I bought Pokémon White used from them and thought it’s authenticity was a bit suspect so I did some research into bootleg DS games:

1. Compare the serial number printed on the label on the front with the one on the back. There should be 4 letters that match with each other.

2. The labels can also oftentimes be slightly crooked on a bootleg cart, whereas a legitimate cart will be perfectly straight.

3. Also, if you have a DS game on hand, compare the Nintendo logo on the back of the legitimate cart to the suspected one, the Nintendo seal on the label as well.

4. The thing Platty posted.

5. But most importantly, so long as it’s not modded, your 3DS shouldn’t have a problem playing it.

I’m no expert, these are just tips I found online a couple years ago, but these should eliminate or confirm your fears.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, eal said:

Don’t buy games that can be counterfeited from a GameStop. There’s no quality control. I’ve seen photos of obviously bootleg games sitting right next to authentic ones. At least when you buy a cheap game from China on eBay you can expect to get a fake. GameStop will just sell it to you at full price. A couple years ago I bought Pokémon White used from them and thought it’s authenticity was a bit suspect so I did some research into bootleg DS games:

1. Compare the serial number printed on the label on the front with the one on the back. There should be 4 letters that match with each other.

2. The labels can also oftentimes be slightly crooked on a bootleg cart, whereas a legitimate cart will be perfectly straight.

3. Also, if you have a DS game on hand, compare the Nintendo logo on the back of the legitimate cart to the suspected one, the Nintendo seal on the label as well.

4. The thing Platty posted.

5. But most importantly, so long as it’s not modded, your 3DS shouldn’t have a problem playing it.

I’m no expert, these are just tips I found online a couple years ago, but these should eliminate or confirm your fears.

Yeah my 3DS seems to play it fine. I've put it in sleep mode a few times to try and it's been fine so far *knocks on wood*. I have no problem playing on my 3DS, I'd prefer to play it there but it's nice to play it on the system it was made for every now and then.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




5. But most importantly, so long as it’s not modded, your 3DS shouldn’t have a problem playing it.
I’m no expert, these are just tips I found online a couple years ago, but these should eliminate or confirm your fears.


Interesting. I should put RF2 into my 3DS and see how it works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:


 

 


Interesting. I should put RF2 into my 3DS and see how it works.

 

I’ve read that it is possible for a bootleg cart to run on an unmodded 3DS but it’s rare. Pretty much any modern Nintendo system has anti-pirating measures that prevent bootleg games from playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just compared the Nintendo logos of VI and my copy of IV and the VI one may be a little different but I really can't tell. Maybe it's my DS Lite, it was giving me some startup problems on one of my GBA games in it the other day. I do recall closing it a bit...harder than usual...when I was getting pissed off at Chrono Trigger. 😖

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...