Jump to content
eal

Switch RPGs...?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

How do the sprites compare to the Trials of Mana sprites?

Trials of Mana uses all the original sprite work from the Super Famicom original. It’s essentially the Super Famicom game with an official English translation.

DQ 1-3 use a hodge podge of newly drawn sprites for characters NPCs and Monsters but use the backgrounds/maps of the Super Famicom versions/the early mobile versions of DQ1-3 Japan got years ago. It has a bit of an identity crisis because they can’t decide if it wants to looks like the Super Famicom versions or if wants to have a fresh drawn look.

 

So, Trials of Mana looks more natural while DQ1-3 Switch look kind of weird. I think DQ1-3 look alright when in portable mode, but on the big screen...eh, not so much.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2019 at 4:26 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Trials of Mana uses all the original sprite work from the Super Famicom original. It’s essentially the Super Famicom game with an official English translation.

DQ 1-3 use a hodge podge of newly drawn sprites for characters NPCs and Monsters but use the backgrounds/maps of the Super Famicom versions/the early mobile versions of DQ1-3 Japan got years ago. It has a bit of an identity crisis because they can’t decide if it wants to looks like the Super Famicom versions or if wants to have a fresh drawn look.

 

So, Trials of Mana looks more natural while DQ1-3 Switch look kind of weird. I think DQ1-3 look alright when in portable mode, but on the big screen...eh, not so much.

I see. 

 

I haven't played Trials of Mana blown up, but I'd imagine it isn't the best. 

 

Fantastic on the small screen though. I think I'll wait for the remake to play it on the big one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cprmauldin said:

I see. 

 

I haven't played Trials of Mana blown up, but I'd imagine it isn't the best. 

 

Fantastic on the small screen though. I think I'll wait for the remake to play it on the big one. 

It looks fine either on TV or your switch screen. The point I was trying to make was that it looks good regardless of how you play it.

You can shrink the screen size down with the R2 button so it closer resembles a 4:3 screen too if it looks to big on your TV depending on how close you sit. But trust me, Trials of Mana looks perfectly fine on the big screen or in handheld mode. I’ve played it on both and never once did I think “Oh this looks weird playing it,” when I swapped.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, that’s nice. I’m glad Atlus is giving Persona’s spin-off series a little attention :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/26/2019 at 9:36 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It looks fine either on TV or your switch screen. The point I was trying to make was that it looks good regardless of how you play it.

You can shrink the screen size down with the R2 button so it closer resembles a 4:3 screen too if it looks to big on your TV depending on how close you sit. But trust me, Trials of Mana looks perfectly fine on the big screen or in handheld mode. I’ve played it on both and never once did I think “Oh this looks weird playing it,” when I swapped.

Oh good. 

 

I'll give it a try. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The MegaTen twitter posted to expect more stuff on the SMTV next year. I know it was already said, but looks like it has been solidified outside of that interview.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I was paying attention to some conversations and got my attention drawn to Rune Factory 4 for the switch. 

 

....It is now in my Amazon wishlist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So, I was paying attention to some conversations and got my attention drawn to Rune Factory 4 for the switch. 
 
....It is now in my Amazon wishlist. 
As well it should be. I spent 100 hours to get to the end of that on 3DS and this will have a bit more. I didn't even touch the post game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2019 at 2:55 PM, Plattym3 said:
On 12/31/2019 at 1:13 PM, cprmauldin said:
So, I was paying attention to some conversations and got my attention drawn to Rune Factory 4 for the switch. 
 
....It is now in my Amazon wishlist. 

As well it should be. I spent 100 hours to get to the end of that on 3DS and this will have a bit more. I didn't even touch the post game.

Wow. 

I remember conversation about the 3DS version sparking my interest, but it quickly escaped my mind. 

 

After reading your last posts about it, I happened to have a few moments and actually researched the game. It certainly seemed like something I would enjoy. 

 

And....Long ass games like these are how I only beat a few games per year XD

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone asked Xseed about the Rune Factory 4 release date. Apparently the February release date is only a placeholder. They stated that we should expect news really soon on it.

0oz3j0jok7941.jpg

We have a Pokemon Direct tomorrow. It is very common for a Nintendo Direct to occur a week after. Hopefully we might get some good RPG news in a week.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nintendo is a running a big New Years Sale right now. There are a lot of games from Nintendo themselves at a good price, and a whole slew of Indie games and games from 3rd party publishers are on sale too. The sale is running until the 16th of January, so give the eshop a look or check your eshop wishlists and see what’s on sale.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a part of my effort to downsize and reconfigure my games, I’m swapping out my PS3 copy of South Park: The Stick of Truth for the Switch version during this sale. I used a portion of a gift card to cover it so I basically got it for free.

Why am I doing this? I’ve made and lost friends, changed jobs, moved three times, graduated from college, and gone through various other major life events, and in that space of time I’ve picked up the game...once? Even though I really wanna play it. The PS3 is just so low on my priorities list. I’m more likely to play a game that I can just pick up without fiddling with cables, and from the comfort of anywhere I want to play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Someone asked Xseed about the Rune Factory 4 release date. Apparently the February release date is only a placeholder. They stated that we should expect news really soon on it.

0oz3j0jok7941.jpg
We have a Pokemon Direct tomorrow. It is very common for a Nintendo Direct to occur a week after. Hopefully we might get some good RPG news in a week.
 
Yeah, the date disappeared from Amazon and now it's definitely just "2020" on Nintendo's website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, eal said:

As a part of my effort to downsize and reconfigure my games, I’m swapping out my PS3 copy of South Park: The Stick of Truth for the Switch version during this sale. I used a portion of a gift card to cover it so I basically got it for free.

Why am I doing this? I’ve made and lost friends, changed jobs, moved three times, graduated from college, and gone through various other major life events, and in that space of time I’ve picked up the game...once? Even though I really wanna play it. The PS3 is just so low on my priorities list. I’m more likely to play a game that I can just pick up without fiddling with cables, and from the comfort of anywhere I want to play.

It's a good game, I beat it in like 3 sessions because I enjoyed it so much. I usually don't have problems buying a game on a different system that's more convenient for me. Like with Final Fantasy 7 I bought it on Switch even though I have it on PS4 but I wanted to replay it and really get a thorough playthrough out of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rune Factory 4 Special is up on the eShop. With the release date of the 28th 25th of February. So it looks like that will be the finalized release date. Now I am getting a bit hyped over it.

Edited by Twinkie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rune Factory 4 Special is up on the eShop. With the release date of the 28th of February. So it looks like that will be the finalized release date. Now I am getting a bit hyped over it.

Wahoo! Very excited for this. Could be my only day #1 purchase of the year. And definitely my only special edition purchase... In years? Ever?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
37 minutes ago, Twinkie said:
Rune Factory 4 Special is up on the eShop. With the release date of the 28th of February. So it looks like that will be the finalized release date. Now I am getting a bit hyped over it.

Wahoo! Very excited for this. Could be my old day #1 purchase of the year. And definitely my only special edition purchase... In years? Ever?

Yeah, I am glad we finally got word on it. Now I can properly get into the series. Gonna try to rush some games in my back log to try to make room for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally, Limited Run Games is publishing a Switch game I’ve been excited to play for months. Now they just need to get around to publishing Forgotton Anne like they announced last year.

F9600D5E-077A-4486-AB2D-AD2459FA04A5.thumb.jpeg.2a0e27c84662009fc4091195c8192c42.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, eal said:

Finally, Limited Run Games is publishing a Switch game I’ve been excited to play for months. Now they just need to get around to publishing Forgotton Anne like they announced last year.

F9600D5E-077A-4486-AB2D-AD2459FA04A5.thumb.jpeg.2a0e27c84662009fc4091195c8192c42.jpeg

Good luck getting one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Good luck getting one.

LRG uses a pre-order model for Switch games. They order as many pre-orders that are made within a 2-4 week period (usually 2 weeks). So they don’t have a fixed number of copies that are first come, first served. They also more often then not sell a small number of copies with a different cover at Best Buy. My first Switch game was actually an LRG game sold at a Best Buy (Battle Chef Brigade).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, eal said:

LRG uses a pre-order model for Switch games. They order as many pre-orders that are made within a 2-4 week period (usually 2 weeks). So they don’t have a fixed number of copies that are first come, first served. They also more often then not sell a small number of copies with a different cover at Best Buy. My first Switch game was actually an LRG game sold at a Best Buy (Battle Chef Brigade).

I've noticed that they've been doing preorders more. I think that's a much better way and leads to less pissed off customers. The last thing I ordered from them was the Star Wars game on Gameboy and the NES collectors edition. The Gameboy version got delivered last week but the NES carts are being held up in Chinese customs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still waiting on Mary Skelter 2 & Omega Labyrinth. Geeze, didn't I order them like a decade ago?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Still waiting on Mary Skelter 2 & Omega Labyrinth. Geeze, didn't I order them like a decade ago?

You probably ordered them back in 19-dikity-2. We have to use dikity because the Kaiser stole our word for 20.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...