eal

Switch RPGs...?

11 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

I ordered that too. It'll resell nicely when I'm done emoji12.png

I beat it way long ago during what was supposed to be my "Summer of 4". At one point Rune Factory 4, SMT IV, and Etrian Odyssey 4 were all supposed to come out the same summer. One got delayed months, SMT IV ended up getting too confusing map-wise and I ended up setting it aside like 18 months.

I easily put 100+ hours into Rune Factory 4 and while I usually don't replay games, I will for it as along with Grandia and DQ as they're my favorite 3 franchises, and my goodness it's been a long time. Stardew Valley helped a bit, but the combat was near-meaningless & over quite soon.

I have grown to appreciate the "farming" genre of games in recent years. I have played some of the older Harvest Moon games in the past. But as I get older and have more responsibilities I have been drawn more to these games. They are so easy to just relax and play, and even with the combat in RF3 I really didn't feel stressed. One thing I do regret is not taking my friend's suggestion in getting the Rune Factory games 10 years ago. 

I have close to 500 hours on Stardew Valley alone, and that has a big part with the modding community. But I do agree with you on the combat with the game. I have nothing against the combat system itself, but more of the lack of content associated with it. No bosses. Easy enemies. Weapons only are used to clear floors faster. I just felt like the game is better off not having the combat in it at all to begin with.

• Like 1

I have grown to appreciate the "farming" genre of games in recent years. I have played some of the older Harvest Moon games in the past. But as I get older and have more responsibilities I have been drawn more to these games. They are so easy to just relax and play, and even with the combat in RF3 I really didn't feel stressed. One thing I do regret is not taking my friend's suggestion in getting the Rune Factory games 10 years ago. 

I have close to 500 hours on Stardew Valley alone, and that has a big part with the modding community. But I do agree with you on the combat with the game. I have nothing against the combat system itself, but more of the lack of content associated with it. No bosses. Easy enemies. Weapons only are used to clear floors faster. I just felt like the game is better off not having the combat in it at all to begin with.
Correct. It wasn't "bad", it just wasn't really very necessary or a part of the game at all. I enjoyed Harvest Moon many many moons ago (late 90s, early 00's) and when the original Rune Factory came out, it was a pre-order and day 1 play for me. Hooked ever since. Heck, all Fantasy Life had to do was look like Rune Factory minus farming and I pre-ordered and sunk 120ish hours into that as well. I'm a sucker for simplistic combat like that.
  • Like 1

Not RPGs, but several SNK fighting games are on sale over on the eshop until the 20th this month. They are part of the Arcade Archives series, and currently the ones on sale are The King of Fighters ‘95, KoF ‘97, KoF 2000, and Garou: Mark of the Wolves, each of them being $4.

I ended up getting all four because I enjoy SNK fighters and, well, Terry’s inclusion in Smash got me hyped for SNK games again! Garou is a great fighting game and is part of the Fatal Fury series, while KoF ‘97 is a good and easy to play entry point and is a fan favorite. I haven’t played 2000 for a solid opinion but I’ve heard it plays as well as ‘97 does. As for ‘95...well, it’s a good game, but play this one with friends only or put the difficulty down to 1. The CPU cheats and hits far harder than you do in KoF 95.

From what little I’ve played of them they offer the Japanese and English versions, a High Score mode and quick fire mode called Caravan mode. Plenty of customization options for play preference too. If you want to try an SNK fighter, go with KoF ‘97 or Garou Mark of the Wolves!

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

On 11/8/2019 at 3:19 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Not RPGs, but several SNK fighting games are on sale over on the eshop until the 20th this month. They are part of the Arcade Archives series, and currently the ones on sale are The King of Fighters ‘95, KoF ‘97, KoF 2000, and Garou: Mark of the Wolves, each of them being $4.

I ended up getting all four because I enjoy SNK fighters and, well, Terry’s inclusion in Smash got me hyped for SNK games again! Garou is a great fighting game and is part of the Fatal Fury series, while KoF ‘97 is a good and easy to play entry point and is a fan favorite. I haven’t played 2000 for a solid opinion but I’ve heard it plays as well as ‘97 does. As for ‘95...well, it’s a good game, but play this one with friends only or put the difficulty down to 1. The CPU cheats and hits far harder than you do in KoF 95.

From what little I’ve played of them they offer the Japanese and English versions, a High Score mode and quick fire mode called Caravan mode. Plenty of customization options for play preference too. If you want to try an SNK fighter, go with KoF ‘97 or Garou Mark of the Wolves!

I noticed that Garou and several other KoF games  were actually on the top selling for digital games. I probably won't pick them up, but that makes me very happy to see them selling that well.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

I noticed that Garou and several other KoF games  were actually on the top selling for digital games. I probably won't pick them up, but that makes me very happy to see them selling that well.

Nice! I’m glad to hear that! Hopefully this will encourage SNK to bring some of the other non-Arcade Archieves KoF games to the Switch. I’d love to have KoF XI and/or KoF XIII for the system. Or maybe the Ultimate Match versions of ‘98 or 2002.

XIII got me into the franchise back in 2012. I knew about SNK and some of the characters like Terry before that, but just never played a King of Fighters game until then. Been a big fan ever since, played plenty of other entries and other SNK fighters/games and can’t wait to learn more about The King of Fighters XV!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Nice! I’m glad to hear that! Hopefully this will encourage SNK to bring some of the other non-Arcade Archieves KoF games to the Switch. I’d love to have KoF XI and/or KoF XIII for the system. Or maybe the Ultimate Match versions of ‘98 or 2002.

XIII got me into the franchise back in 2012. I knew about SNK and some of the characters like Terry before that, but just never played a King of Fighters game until then. Been a big fan ever since, played plenty of other entries and other SNK fighters/games and can’t wait to learn more about The King of Fighters XV!

Yeah, I am glad about it as well! I am a fan of SNK games in general, but I actually didn't get into any KoF games until recent history. I played Garou for the first time when it got released on PS4, and just started to look more into SNK games since then. After a lot of the negative reactions of Terry in Smash, it is nice to see new players giving the series a chance.

Next year is going to be great for fighters.

16 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Yeah, I am glad about it as well! I am a fan of SNK games in general, but I actually didn't get into any KoF games until recent history. I played Garou for the first time when it got released on PS4, and just started to look more into SNK games since then. After a lot of the negative reactions of Terry in Smash, it is nice to see new players giving the series a chance.

Next year is going to be great for fighters.

Terry getting announced was very hype for me. I wasn’t expecting an SNK character but had secretly been hoping we’d get one at some point. I’m not surprised people were negative about his announcement: SNK games are REALLY popular in Asian and Mexican/South American territories. Other places, not quite as much. America is definitely Street Fighter and Marvel territory.

Anyway, Garou is an excellent game. If you are looking for some other KoF games to play, look into XIII or XIV. Older game wise, ‘97 or ‘98 are good ones. XI is a personal favorite but it is a bit of an oddball in the series. Still an excellent game by all means. Plus it introduced the coolest SNK character (who isn’t Rugal or Geese Howard), Oswald. That character has a lot of class, weaponizes playing cards, and finally made a grand return in KoF XIV. I hope to all the SNK gods that we see him again in KOF XV.

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Terry getting announced was very hype for me. I wasn’t expecting an SNK character but had secretly been hoping we’d get one at some point. I’m not surprised people were negative about his announcement: SNK games are REALLY popular in Asian and Mexican/South American territories. Other places, not quite as much. America is definitely Street Fighter and Marvel territory.

Anyway, Garou is an excellent game. If you are looking for some other KoF games to play, look into XIII or XIV. Older game wise, ‘97 or ‘98 are good ones. XI is a personal favorite but it is a bit of an oddball in the series. Still an excellent game by all means. Plus it introduced the coolest SNK character (who isn’t Rugal or Geese Howard), Oswald. That character has a lot of class, weaponizes playing cards, and finally made a grand return in KoF XIV. I hope to all the SNK gods that we see him again in KOF XV.

I actually got KoF XIII in a bundle a while back and just never got around to playing it. I might give it a shot this weekend.

1 hour ago, Twinkie said:

I actually got KoF XIII in a bundle a while back and just never got around to playing it. I might give it a shot this weekend.

Don’t play KoF ‘95 by the way unless you want to pull your hair out. It’s CPU hits for twice the damage no matter what difficulty you set it on, and the last two bosses can read your inputs. I’ve been stuck fighting the final bosses for almost an hour, and that’s not counting being stuck on the final team battle before the bosses for a good 40 minutes. And that was all on the easiest difficulty I might add.

KoF 95’ is definitely from an era of quarter stealing arcade games. 🤬

Luckily SNK didn’t pull the double damage crap with KoF 96’ onward when in arcade mode. Bosses are still a-holes, but that’s a standard for SNK games.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Twinkie said:

9 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Don’t play KoF ‘95 by the way unless you want to pull your hair out. It’s CPU hits for twice the damage no matter what difficulty you set it on, and the last two bosses can read your inputs. I’ve been stuck fighting the final bosses for almost an hour, and that’s not counting being stuck on the final team battle before the bosses for a good 40 minutes. And that was all on the easiest difficulty I might add.

KoF 95’ is definitely from an era of quarter stealing arcade games. 🤬

Luckily SNK didn’t pull the double damage crap with KoF 96’ onward when in arcade mode. Bosses are still a-holes, but that’s a standard for SNK games.

As a follow up, I do want to emphasize that I don’t think KoF ‘95 is a bad game by any means. Frustrating in solo play, yes, but it’s not a bad game. It really starts to set the ground work for how the rest of the series plays, pushing what KoF ‘94 introduced. It has some great sprite work, detailed backgrounds/stages that all have a lot of personality, a pretty good soundtrack, it brought in the team editing feature so you could combine any 3 characters you wanted, it introduced veteran character Iori Yagami (a personal favorite of many SNK fans), and it’s fun for two player sittings. It has a major problem if you play solo, but it’s worth messing around in with some buddies.

Trading in some stuff later to preorder Pokémon. I can hopefully pick it up at 9pm on Thursday. They got me boys...

Edited by DrippySlimeStar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Trading in some stuff later to preorder Pokémon. I can hopefully pick it up at 9pm on Thursday. They got me boys...

Think it will get more playtime than The Outer Worlds? 😜

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Think it will get more playtime than The Outer Worlds? 😜

Yeah it might take me like 15 hours to beat the game instead of the 16 it's taken the past few ones lol.

2 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Called up Gamestop and they're doing a 9pm for Jedi but can't release Pokémon until midnight so they're staying open until then for it. That's such horse #$*! lmao

55 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Called up Gamestop and they're doing a 9pm for Jedi but can't release Pokémon until midnight so they're staying open until then for it. That's such horse #$*! lmao

My two cents, I don’t think Sword and Shield would be very hype if I was a Pokémon fan. It seems like Game Freak is cutting a lot of corners with the game, which is not a good way to showcase what the series could be capable of on the Switch.

If people are excited for it, then hey, more power to them. I just Hope Game Freak will take the legitimate complaints people have had seriously and try and improve the games for Switch hardware with an inevitable Ultra version or whatever the next remake will be.

Personally I’m kind of hoping whenever the next Dragon Quest Monsters game come out (which will more than likely be on Switch) that they have as many monsters as the Dragon Quest Monsters 2 remake had, which was around 800 or so, and then just add on top of that. Just to show that yes, you can make a new entry in a monster series and stuff it with as many of the monsters as possible that people love.

Just now, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

My two cents, I don’t think Sword and Shield would be very hype if I was a Pokémon fan. It seems like Game Freak is cutting a lot of corners with the game, which is not a good way to showcase what the series could be capable of on the Switch.

If people are excited for it, then hey, more power to them. I just Hope Game Freak will take the legitimate complaints people have had seriously and try and improve the games for Switch hardware with an inevitable Ultra version or whatever the next remake will be.

I think it's a case of the games likely being 3DS games for a very long time into development. Stuff game out today , I guess, that makes it look like they just sort of through HD sheets over the 3DS models. I hope they kind of leave Sword and Shield behind instead of doing an Ultra version like you had mentioned and just move onto Gen 9. That way they can focus on Switch assets and graphics from the start.

• Like 1

Persona 5 is teasing a big reveal in about 10 days. Likely it's just the release date, but any chance it could be a Switch port?

Persona 5 Arena, fingers crossed.

Persona 5 Arena, fingers crossed.
Good luck for that. It'd be a pass for me, but the 4 one seems well-received!

Speaking of Arc System fighting games, the big 2.0 update dropped for Blazblue Cross Tag Battle a few days ago. It added in Celica and Susanoo from Blazblue, Adachi and Elizabeth from Persona, Hilda from Undernight, Neo Politan from RWBY, and added two new franchises with Yumi from Senran Kagura and Akatsuki and the best damn character addition in a fighting game Blitztank from Akatsuki Blitzkampf.

I’m particularly excited for the last character because of how ridiculous it is. Heck, just look how happy the rest of the cast is. They “threw,” the tank a welcoming party!

I can’t wait to get the patch just to play as the #$*!ing tank.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:20 AM, Plattym3 said:

Persona 5 is teasing a big reveal in about 10 days. Likely it's just the release date, but any chance it could be a Switch port?

Where's that Platty "It's not coming" stamp when you need it?

I started playing SteamWorld Quest last night and love it. I'm biased because I like everything the company makes but I didn't expect to like it. With the decks only being 8 cards for each character there really aren't any complicated things to think about and it really becomes a matter of combo attacks and learning weaknesses. Ended my night by getting my ass handed to me by a boss but I realize what I did wrong and fell I'll be able to beat him next time.

• Like 1

Where's that Platty "It's not coming" stamp when you need it?
I started playing SteamWorld Quest last night and love it. I'm biased because I like everything the company makes but I didn't expect to like it. With the decks only being 8 cards for each character there really aren't any complicated things to think about and it really becomes a matter of combo attacks and learning weaknesses. Ended my night by getting my ass handed to me by a boss but I realize what I did wrong and fell I'll be able to beat him next time.
Haha. That's a DQ-exclusive stamp! Just like P5 games are PS4 exclusive

Glad you're liking that. I remember I rated it 4.5 on my RPGamer review which requires at least 2 editors to sign off on that high of a score, and they had no problem doing so. I'd reiterate I don't usually like card games, but recent Pokémon activity would seem to make that a lie.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Just like P5 games are PS4 exclusive emoji24.png

No they’re not. You’re getting Persona 5 Scramble on the Switch.

• Like 1

No they’re not. You’re getting Persona 5 Scramble on the Switch.
Oh, duh! I'd forgotten!

The Black Friday deals are up on the eshop in North America now and will be going through December 4th. I’m looking to grab a few games like Rime and Celeste as they are 50% off. I might pick up Unravel 2 as well since it’s $5 and I loved the first game on my PS4. Gotta get Puyo Puyo Champions for $4 too, as I loved playing Mean Bean Machine on my Genesis Mini.

RPG wise, the Grandia HD Collection is part of the sale. I really wish I would have waited until now to buy it since it’s on discount, but whatever. If you want two great RPGs for your Switch, the Grandia HD Collection is a must.

• Like 1