eal

Switch RPGs...?

2 minutes ago, eal said:

An HD rerelease would be possible if it was anyone but EA that held the Simpsons license.

Damn it, I forgot they had it. They’d probably release part of the game and insert microstransactions or some #$*! just to activate the gags or buy new vehicles.

Well, guess I’ll have to find a good quality used copy of the game.

Just now, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Damn it, I forgot they had it. They’d probably release part of the game and insert microstransactions or some #$*! just to activate the gags or buy new vehicles.

Well, guess I’ll have to find a good quality used copy of the game.

It’s not hard. I bought my copy for about $12 and I’ve seen it hover around the $15-20 range since then. It was popular enough to get a Greatest Hits re-release so there’s a lot of copies out there. The Simpsons Game you can generally find on all systems for that price too.

5 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

You know, that just makes me super sad. I really wish we could get Hit & Run re-released, maybe in an HD remake like that one Spongebob game is getting. I loved Hit & Run both as a game and as a Simpsons fan.

I'm not even a Simpsons fan and I still want that game to get some HD remake. Love that game.

On 9/5/2019 at 8:23 PM, Plattym3 said:
On 9/5/2019 at 4:42 PM, eal said:
I can’t believe they haven’t made a Pokémon TCG game for Switch yet.

So from those who follow this & the industry more closely, I've been assured that there will never be another console TCG. They did that GBC one that I loved too. But with the PC & iPad apps, there's no real use or incentive to make another game. Since 4-5 handheld generations have gone by, I guess I sadly agree. Boo!

I will hereby officially add my sadness to this list. 

I finally completed all of the games in Collection of Mana. It was a lot of fun.

Final Fantasy Adventure: The one thing I hate about older games is cryptic BS. And this game did infuriate me with it. The "Palm Trees and 8" clue was the dumbest thing I have had to go through in a game in years. There was no way to get passed it without having to go to a walkthrough. Towards the end of the game you also had to find one crystal to destroy in an area filled with them to progress. Again, that would have taken me several hours to do. The dungeons were a bit annoying since the progression was locked behind hidden doors you destroy (like Legend of Zelda) so you had to get in the habit of hitting every wall to find them. But this didn't become much of an issue later when you get the weapon that allows you to destroy walls. The translation was pretty bad, but it was good enough to know what was going on and where to go. Outside of a few frustrating points, I had some fun with this game.

Secret of Mana: I have heard people praise this game for so many years. I did play it when it first came out on the Wii VC but didn't get that far into it. My biggest complaint is the AI. They either get stuck behind objects when I am trying to move, or they sometimes don't go through with a command I give them. That ended up causing some frustration. While it wasn't that problematic, you can obviously tell that the end of the game had some content cut out. The pacing of the game was done well until you had to go to The Moon Palace. After that the game felt rushed. It really didn't bother me, but I can't help feel on how the game would have been as the developers intended. I had a lot of fun with this game, and wouldn't mind playing it again with a friend in the future.

Trials of Mana: I don't have many negative things with this game. The game did have some glitched text in the menus, which I am guessing had to do with how badly the text was programmed into the game. The menu and item sorting as a bit annoying. Outside of that this game was REALLY good. It is a damn shame it never got released outside of Japan until recently. This game is so much fun. I am looking forward to the remake that is coming out next year.

Considering that Trials of Mana has 3 major paths with different bosses, I think I am going to try to beat the game at least one more time before the big release next Friday.

• Like 1

Was playing a ton of Grandia before I got really distracted recently...

Switch ports & remakes of games I've loved and games I've missed could fill the rest of my 2019.

Ni No Kuni
Grandia 1 + 2
Dragon Quest XI S
Rune Factory 4

Geeze. And I just got my Vita hacked. Won't even play it. 42d0fb29c5560d5bd65f4b9e91ce1240.jpg42e5dcb070319f337ed7f2c5a1a704a9.jpg

I’m hyped for the discourse on Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch around here soon.

So I’m like, “I’m gonna play Grand Kingdom and finally finish it!” And then I get to a grindy area. And Then I find out that the online is shutting down. And then I find out the online is key to working through the grind. RIP

So now I’m playing Sushi Strikers! The story is childish in the same way I imagine Yokai Watch is, but the gameplay is pretty addictive. It’s essentially an action puzzle game, which I’ve had a soft spot for ever since Puzzle Quest, where plates of sushi of varying colors glide across conveyor belts, and you connect them to do damage. The more you connect, the greater the damage and the faster you can activate up to three equippable abilities. A fight can last for like 3 minutes max, so if you fail you can just try again without much fuss.

I’m enjoying the gameplay stuff a bunch, it’s very addictive. I had to pull myself away last night because I had to go to bed. I was doing the whole, “just one more battle,” thing because of how quick they can be.

You all owe it to yourselves to play the greatest game ever made, Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. I would recommend the PS4 version since it's remastered and the Switch version is a PS3 port.

58 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

You all owe it to yourselves to play the greatest game ever made, Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. I would recommend the PS4 version since it's remastered and the Switch version is a PS3 port.

I’ll get the PS4 remaster eventually. I was pretty much glued to Ni No Kuni 2 last year and got a good 90 hours into it, and it ended up being one of my favorite games from last year. It gave me a Dragon Quest vibe with how the story played out and the character interactions/details being most prominent when you took the time to talk to them in Evermore, both for playable characters and NPCs. Graphics were amazing (though I’m a Stuido Ghibli fan, one of the few anime related things I like), music was excellent, and the various styles of gameplay were a lot of fun. Time flew by while playing it, and it’s one of my favorite gaming experiences on PS4. I certainly feel like I’m in the minority on that too, since NNK2 is one of the divisive games I fall into the love it camp, much like a Chrono Cross and Zelda: Skyward Sword.

So I’m looking forward to finally playing the original since I never had a PS3/haven’t tried playing the fan translation of the DS original. The fact Studio Ghibli was involved got me excited, the soundtrack (which funnily enough I’ve had on my iPod for years thanks to the iTunes release) has some pretty good tracks, and many other things about the game seemed like fun.

I’m sure someone will tell me “Oh NNK1 is so much better than NNK2!” or some other such nonsense, but I’ll reserve judgment until I can play it myself. Really, I’d rather the first game be great in its own right, having its own strong points while NNK2 has its own strong points too that I enjoy. That way you get two games from the same series that, while pretty different from one another, provide a fun adventure in their own style.

No idea when I’ll play it, but sooner or later I’ll finally play Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. 😃

8 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I’m sure someone will tell me “Oh NNK1 is so much better than NNK2!” or some other such nonsense,

Yep that's exactly what I was going to say. It's my favorite game ever so I'm biased and won't try to shove down your throat that if you don't like it, I don't like you. The gameplay is different and in my opinion the world and characters are much better. I hope you enjoy it whenever you get the chance to play it.

Am I weird for being unable to get into non-turn-based JRPGs? I like the idea of NNK, but the action based combat is boring to me.

9 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Story was great, art was great, world was great, music was obviously great, as were the animated cutscenes. The combat? Not so much. I can’t tell you how many boss battles devolved into me running in a circle around the edge of the field waiting for all my meters to cool down or avoid the enemy. If it’s your favorite game ever I can totally see it, but I personally wouldn’t say so. Sure, maybe my favorite PS3 game.

45 minutes ago, eal said:

Story was great, art was great, world was great, music was obviously great, as were the animated cutscenes. The combat? Not so much. I can’t tell you how many boss battles devolved into me running in a circle around the edge of the field waiting for all my meters to cool down or avoid the enemy. If it’s your favorite game ever I can totally see it, but I personally wouldn’t say so. Sure, maybe my favorite PS3 game.

Yep it's a 9.9/10 game with the .1 being for stupid AI partners wasting all your MP on trash mobs before a boss and, yes, some times boiling down to running around in a circle until your skills can be used again. Ah screw it, it's perfect and a 10/10 to me and I don't care who knows! :overjoyed2:

Edited by DrippySlimeStar

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

Am I weird for being unable to get into non-turn-based JRPGs? I like the idea of NNK, but the action based combat is boring to me.

The DS version is turn based but it's Japan only. If that doesn't bother you I would check it out. From what I've read it's the same story premise.

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

23 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

The DS version is turn based but it's Japan only. If that doesn't bother you I would check it out. From what I've read it's the same story premise.

There is a fan translation of the DS original, which I mentioned in my post above. @Plattym3was playing it earlier this year and said it -both the game and translation- was pretty good.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

38 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Yep it's a 9.9/10 game with the .1 being for stupid AI partners wasting all your MP on trash mobs before a boss and, yes, some times boiling down to running around in a circle until your skills can be used again. Ah screw it, it's perfect and a 10/10 to me and I don't care who knows! :overjoyed2:

My favorite games are all 8/10’s that are all 11/10 to me. No one is lining up to extoll the virtues of Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire or Sleeping Dogs, but I love them anyways.

There is a fan translation of the DS original, which I mentioned in my post above. [mention=6859]Plattym3[/mention]was playing it earlier this year and said it -both the game and translation- was pretty good.
Downloading it now. I'll give it a try once I don't have a million games to play.
  • Like 1

The DS game is quite amazing, yes. I really was into it for about 20 hours and then got handed Etrian Odyssey Nexus to review.

Playing the Switch port is reminding me of how good the DS version is.
Dude. 100% this. 100%

The AI is dying in trash mobs. I spent the first 7 hours dying to get my 2nd character and now they're the ones dying. Hahaha

Still, the rest makes up for it so far. Leaning towards a 4/5 rating, but I've still got like 30 hours to go!

I’m hyped for the discourse on Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch around here soon.
So I’m like, “I’m gonna play Grand Kingdom and finally finish it!” And then I get to a grindy area. And Then I find out that the online is shutting down. And then I find out the online is key to working through the grind. RIP
So now I’m playing Sushi Strikers! The story is childish in the same way I imagine Yokai Watch is, but the gameplay is pretty addictive. It’s essentially an action puzzle game, which I’ve had a soft spot for ever since Puzzle Quest, where plates of sushi of varying colors glide across conveyor belts, and you connect them to do damage. The more you connect, the greater the damage and the faster you can activate up to three equippable abilities. A fight can last for like 3 minutes max, so if you fail you can just try again without much fuss.
I’m enjoying the gameplay stuff a bunch, it’s very addictive. I had to pull myself away last night because I had to go to bed. I was doing the whole, “just one more battle,” thing because of how quick they can be.

First part... What about online?

2nd part... Sounds actually quite interesting. Puzzle Quest came out for Switch today. Trying hard NOT to purchase that gem of a game. I spent so many DS hours on it and it's so-so sequel.

4 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

First part... What about online?

2nd part... Sounds actually quite interesting. Puzzle Quest came out for Switch today. Trying hard NOT to purchase that gem of a game. I spent so many DS hours on it and it's so-so sequel.

First part: There’s an online component to Grand Kingdom. It’s very complex and involved and it’s like half the game: https://nisamerica.com/games/grand-kingdom/online/

It’s good for getting items and exp. and all that. It’s still totally possible to get through the campaign without touching online but I’ve been told it’s a slog.

Second part: Didn’t even know Puzzle Quest was coming back! Holy #$*!! It looks like it has well beyond the content of the DS game so I’m jumping on that basically as soon as I’m done with Sushi Striker.

Third part: Sushi Striker is quite different to Puzzle Quest. For one thing, it’s more hectic. Instead of like 3-8 things you need to match, you’ll want to match 7-20 things if you want to do any significant damage. You also have skills in constant use on either side, the conveyor belt can be made to go faster, and your performance is graded (stars for various achievements you managed to pull off in the match, and a rating for how many points you earned). I got it for $10 physically at a GameStop and I definitely got my money’s worth.

First part: There’s an online component to Grand Kingdom. It’s very complex and involved and it’s like half the game: https://nisamerica.com/games/grand-kingdom/online/
It’s good for getting items and exp. and all that. It’s still totally possible to get through the campaign without touching online but I’ve been told it’s a slog.
Second part: Didn’t even know Puzzle Quest was coming back! Holy #$*!! It looks like it has well beyond the content of the DS game so I’m jumping on that basically as soon as I’m done with Sushi Striker.
Third part: Sushi Striker is quite different to Puzzle Quest. For one thing, it’s more hectic. Instead of like 3-8 things you need to match, you’ll want to match 7-20 things if you want to do any significant damage. You also have skills in constant use on either side, the conveyor belt can be made to go faster, and your performance is graded (stars for various achievements you managed to pull off in the match, and a rating for how many points you earned). I got it for $10 physically at a GameStop and I definitely got my money’s worth.

Ok. When I first read your earlier post I was distracted at work and thought NNK had a huge online component! Grand Kingdom. Different game. Duh.

Yeah, Puzzle Quest came out of the blue with a press release maybe 10 days ago and then Boom! it's there.

Content-wise, it's crazy. Something like 350 quests. And they have a slider so against weak opponents, you can make it harder for better rewards, and if a battle is too hard, you can turn it down for fewer rewards. I only played on DS so didn't have the add-on content and now there's even further add-on stuff!

13 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Ok. When I first read your earlier post I was distracted at work and thought NNK had a huge online component! Grand Kingdom. Different game. Duh. emoji106.png

Yeah, Puzzle Quest came out of the blue with a press release maybe 10 days ago and then Boom! it's there.

Content-wise, it's crazy. Something like 350 quests. And they have a slider so against weak opponents, you can make it harder for better rewards, and if a battle is too hard, you can turn it down for fewer rewards. I only played on DS so didn't have the add-on content and now there's even further add-on stuff!

My only concern about Puzzle Quest is, and I guess you can chalk to how convoluted the release of those two games were, isn’t that sequel game that’s a part of it different in traversing? Like, the original was just a giant map you moved around, but the sequel was much different. I remember playing the sequel on my phone and hated the non-puzzle portion of it. So I’m hoping that they didn’t just paste the sequel on with all the old stuff intact, and that it more closely resembles the original game.

My only concern about Puzzle Quest is, and I guess you can chalk to how convoluted the release of those two games were, isn’t that sequel game that’s a part of it different in traversing? Like, the original was just a giant map you moved around, but the sequel was much different. I remember playing the sequel on my phone and hated the non-puzzle portion of it. So I’m hoping that they didn’t just paste the sequel on with all the old stuff intact, and that it more closely resembles the original game.
Sequel was different. You had a character walking around town and constantly going into the same dungeon over and over. If you ran into a monster, it started a battle. And you had to battle the damn doors going room to room.

6 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
13 minutes ago, eal said:

Sequel was different. You had a character walking around town and constantly going into the same dungeon over and over. If you ran into a monster, it started a battle. And you had to battle the damn doors going room to room.

I remember the doors. I disliked it. Maybe it was just the phone version I disliked and would’ve taken to it more on a console. The whole thing is $15 so I’d be worthwhile to me just for the original game. The sequel would be a bonus.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 8:30 PM, DrippySlimeStar said:

Okay fine. 

I'll add it to my list.