Switch RPGs...?

3 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

I've been keeping my eye on those Yu-Gi-Oh! games for a while now. I always try to expand the types of games I play, with my most recent dive being into Digimon. 

I very briefly played an collected the cards years ago and that's been about it. Never watched the Anime or got too deep into it. I was the same way with Digimon and I'm in love with Cybersleuth. 

How do you think the game would feel to a Yu-Gi-Oh! novice?

I watched the first two series and played the card game for awhile. It was more popular to play in school than Pokémon was, probably because the rules aren’t as complicated to a kid and the show gives you an idea of how it’s played.

I actually have a bit of a history with the video games, but I hadn’t played one since the Nintendo DS era. That being said, it was easy for me to slip back into the game.

The tutorial in the story mode gives you a basic overview and the story decks are built to have good synergy between cards, so you can get an idea of how things work that way and get slowly acclimated to things.

Yu-Gi-Oh! is an interesting card game because of how overly complex it can be. Things like Normal, Tribute, Flip, and Special Summoning, or that certain traps, spells, and effects can affect only certain types of cards in certain positions and can only be activated at certain points. But if you start slow the rules start to connect. The good thing about playing a card game video game is that you’ll never be able to take an action you’re not supposed to do legally, so that restriction helps with understanding the game better.

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, that’s nice. I’m glad Atlus is giving Persona’s spin-off series a little attention

I would tend to disagree 😂

Dude you need like 5 more paragraphs before I'll believe that somebody hasn't hacked your account. Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Posted Images

23 hours ago, eal said:

I watched the first two series and played the card game for awhile. It was more popular to play in school than Pokémon was, probably because the rules aren’t as complicated to a kid and the show gives you an idea of how it’s played.

I actually have a bit of a history with the video games, but I hadn’t played one since the Nintendo DS era. That being said, it was easy for me to slip back into the game.

The tutorial in the story mode gives you a basic overview and the story decks are built to have good synergy between cards, so you can get an idea of how things work that way and get slowly acclimated to things.

Yu-Gi-Oh! is an interesting card game because of how overly complex it can be. Things like Normal, Tribute, Flip, and Special Summoning, or that certain traps, spells, and effects can affect only certain types of cards in certain positions and can only be activated at certain points. But if you start slow the rules start to connect. The good thing about playing a card game video game is that you’ll never be able to take an action you’re not supposed to do legally, so that restriction helps with understanding the game better.

Yep. That was one of the points I was thinking would be advantageous. 

The most complicated card-game-video-game I've played was Pokemon TCG on GBC back in the day and that was fairly easy because then, and even now, the Pokemon card game isn't all that complicated. 

• Like 1

@Plattym3and @eal, your dreams are finally coming true. Persona 5 Strikers is coming out February 23rd next year. The announcement video was leaked to YouTube a short while ago but was removed. Seems it was announced a little too soon. It’s going to be on PS4, Switch and Steam over here in the west.

Edit: Here you go, someone had the chance to get the video. We won’t be hearing from eal and Platty for awhile once this comes out.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

@Plattym3and @eal, your dreams are finally coming true. Persona 5 Strikers is coming out February 23rd next year. The announcement video was leaked to YouTube a short while ago but was removed. Seems it was announced a little too soon. It’s going to be on PS4, Switch and Steam over here in the west.

Edit: Here you go, someone had the chance to get the video. We won’t be hearing from eal and Platty for awhile once this comes out.

Just popped in to mention I saw this. Figured we’d get an announcement soon. People actually thought we weren’t gonna be getting this one.

• Like 1
I am actually more surprised that it is getting a Steam release. I wonder if this is going to be a continuing with Atlus.
They've flat out said they will be. They were apparently quite surprised how well P4G did on Steam and now they're all-in!
25 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Sega flat out said they will be. They were apparently quite surprised how well P4G did on Steam and now they're all-in!

Fixed that for you.

@ealrecommended this game on the Vita episode of Side Quest. It’s called The House of Fata Morgana. Seems it’s coming to Switch (with a physical version courtesy of Limited Run Games) at some point, so that’s cool. I’m not a visual novel guy, but it sounded like an interesting read through.

https://twitter.com/Novectacle_EN/status/1330551482836402176

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

Don’t forget, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light is out for a limited time starting today. I had some cash leftover on a VISA gift card so I used what remained to get it for free. Woot.

3 minutes ago, eal said:

Don’t forget, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light is out for a limited time starting today. I had some cash leftover on a VISA gift card so I used what remained to get it for free. Woot.

Yeah, I preordered the overly expensive Collectors Edition for it. Still waiting for the thing to get shipped, and it still says "Waiting for available stock".

Don't think I will be getting it at this point.

17 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Yeah, I preordered the overly expensive Collectors Edition for it. Still waiting for the thing to get shipped, and it still says "Waiting for available stock".

Don't think I will be getting it at this point.

I kept waiting for it to go up on pre-order from BestBuy.com, but nothing ever popped up. But I don’t really need the collector’s edition, so no big loss. I’ll pay the $6 for digital. Fingers crossed I get an eshop gift card so i can use it towards that.

3 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I kept waiting for it to go up on pre-order from BestBuy.com, but nothing ever popped up. But I don’t really need the collector’s edition, so no big loss. I’ll pay the $6 for digital. Fingers crossed I get an eshop gift card so i can use it towards that.

From what others have been saying. There was a small stock of them put on store shelves at Best Buy. I am hoping that they still plan on printing more of them at the very least. The fact that they sold out that fast is just absurd.

I HATE buying Fire Emblem collectors editions with a burning passion because of it.

• Like 1

Nintendo collector editions seem to always have low prints and sell out immediately. If you can get one than cool, but I don’t think they’re worth trying to hunt down if you can’t find one normally.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Nintendo collector editions seem to always have low prints and sell out immediately. If you can get one than cool, but I don’t think they’re worth trying to hunt down if you can’t find one normally.

I am a big sucker when it comes to art books. So when they go up, I have to fight against everything to not buy them. So far I have been super lucky on securing the CEs since Fates. But at this point I am just tired of it. Shadows of Valentia at least had that CE up for a good while and was not hard to get hold of.

I usually import art books (if they don’t get an English release) for the series I like. Did that with all the Etrian art books minus the 10th anniversary one since that’s linked to the collector’s edition of Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2.

I don’t like it when big 200+ page art books are linked to a collector’s edition. It’s because of that I’ve missed out on getting some like the one that came out for DQ11 back when it released in 2018. I get why companies do it to try and push their special editions, but at least release the book by itself a few years later.

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I don’t like it when big 200+ page art books are linked to a collector’s edition. It’s because of that I’ve missed out on getting some like the one that came out for DQ11 back when it released in 2018. I get why companies do it to try and push their special editions, but at least release the book by itself a few years later.

The one that still stings that I missed out on is the Wizard’s Companion in the Ni no Kuni Wizard Edition. It’s a physical, printed version of the book in Wrath of the White Witch.

Edited by eal
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I usually import art books (if they don’t get an English release) for the series I like. Did that with all the Etrian art books minus the 10th anniversary one since that’s linked to the collector’s edition of Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2.

If they ended up doing just that, I would very rarely pick up CEs at that point. Even if it meant paying more money down the road instead of getting it in a CE to begin with. I just hate the hassle of trying to fight for preorders on them.

Games Workshop pushed out a very limited launch box for its new 9th Edition of Warhammer 40K. The scalpers got so bad about it, that GW ended up going back and changed it. So that they were made per preorder and only limited to 1 per person. When launch hit, the orders were no longer possible. So you had about a 2 week window to put a preorder into get a copy of it. So everyone who really wanted one was able to secure a copy, and scalpers got messed over on it. I REALLY would like to see this being more widespread. Even if it meant getting the product at a later date passed the release day.

Or at the very least. Not print so many that preorders are gone after 5 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

So, we have quite a bit of Switch news for today. First off, RPG wise, the Collection of SaGa released today. It’s a collection of the three original SaGa Gameboy games, which were originally released as Final Fantasy Legend I, II, and III respectively here in the west back in the day. The collection includes various quality of life features, customizable backgrounds, and so forth.

And today, we had a Nintendo Indie World showcase. Lots of games were revealed to be released today/ are on the way for Switch, including Among Us, Spelunky 1 and 2, Gnosia, and Super Meat Boy Forever. I’ll put the full list below the video.

• Alba: A Wildlife Adventure will come to the Nintendo Switch in Spring 2021.
  • Among Us will come to the Nintendo Switch today.
  • Calico will come to the Nintendo Switch today.
  • Cyber-Shadow will come to the Nintendo Switch on January 26, 2021. It is compatible with Shovel Knight amiibo.
  • Finding Paradise will come to the Nintendo Switch in Spring 2021.
  • Fisti-fluffs will come first to the Nintendo Switch in early 2021.
  • Gnosia will come to the Nintendo Switch in early 2021.
  • Grindstone will come to the Nintendo Switch today as a “console launch exclusive.”
  • Happy Game will come to the Nintendo Switch in Spring 2021.
  • Hazel Sky Game will come to the Nintendo Switch in March 2021.
  • Hoa will come to the Nintendo Switch in April 2021.
  • Kosmokrats will come to the Nintendo Switch as a timed console exclusive in March 2021.
  • Spelunky will come to the Nintendo Switch in Summer 2021 and have local multiplayer.
  • Spelunky 2 will come to the Nintendo Switch in Summer 2021 and have local and online multiplayer.
  • Super Meat Boy Forever will come to the Nintendo Switch on December 23, 2020 as a “console launch exclusive.”
  • Trash Sailors will come to the Nintendo Switch in Spring 2021.
  • Tunche will come first to the Nintendo Switch in March 2021.
  • Very-Very Valet will come to the Nintendo Switch as a timed exclusive in early 2021.
  • When the Past was Around will come to the Nintendo Switch today.

I got Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition and Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen for Christmas. I’m also expecting the Grandia HD Collection some time tomorrow. Very hyped to play some long RPGs in the new year. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, eal said:

I got Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition and Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen for Christmas. I’m also expecting the Grandia HD Collection some time tomorrow. Very hyped to play some long RPGs in the new year. 

Nice. I really enjoyed Xenoblade on the Switch.

I got an eshop gift card and used it to get Collection of SaGa, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, and Moon. I’m really looking forward to trying out the Collection of SaGa and see where the series got it’s start; same with Fire Emblem. And Moon being made by the guys who went on to make Chibi-Robo has me pretty excited too.

• Like 1

Xenoblade somewhat interests me, but I'd rather borrow it and give it a few hours before I decide. Yeah, saw Grandia HD has been shipping this week. Nice Christmas surprise.

Nice. I really enjoyed Xenoblade on the Switch.

I got an eshop gift card and used it to get Collection of SaGa, Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon, and Moon. I’m really looking forward to trying out the Collection of SaGa and see where the series got it’s start; same with Fire Emblem. And Moon being made by the guys who went on to make Chibi-Robo has me pretty excited too.

Fun haul!

The kids got the new Hyrule Warriors (which I'd received free as Volunteer of the Month at RPGamer). They also got the Toad Treasure game@eal suggested.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, eal said:

Oh man, those were shipped out? Looks like my copy of Grandia is going to get here Monday. First time going into the series. I watched some streamers play it a couple years ago, never gave the series a shot yet. Pretty excited.

• Like 1

The Collection of SaGa has been fun. So far I’m starting the climb of the World Tower in SaGa 1. I’ve had to look up a few things to figure out how leveling/stat gains work after playing for awhile, but I think I understand the basics of the first game’s mechanics. My party is 2 humans, male and female, a Mutant, and a Monster. Humans level/gain stats thanks to items you can easily buy, mutants have random gains like in later SaGa games, and monsters grow from eating meat dropped by enemies.

It is a simple game, but it’s been fun. I’m curious what exactly the significance of the World Tower is, and who the man in the top hat is. He showed up at the beginning and gave me advice on how to advance, but he disappeared shortly after. Maybe it’s a white rabbit sort of situation where he’s always one step ahead but helps point you in the right direction? Little story, but an interesting set up. That’s what I like about these SaGa games.