Jump to content

Switch RPGs...?


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
3 hours ago, cprmauldin said:
I have the exact same concern.

One of my new years resolutions was to stop playing games I don't enjoying just for the sake of saying I played them or beat them. And then I didn't buy a game for 6 months too. It's taught me a lot about what I actually want to play and what I don't. I've sold off a lot of games "I'll get around to some day" that I know I won't. Can't avoid a backlog, but I've gotten to know my tastes more and how to avoid bloat there.

I call this The Witcher 3 Effect, due to the fact that I had bought the eponymous game solely because it had great reviews and word of mouth and felt like a game I had to play because it was a modern classic, and then when I booted it up and I saw the combat and how big it was I realized it was way too involving and time consuming. The kind of game Id have to take a college course in. I learned to let go of those games.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 599
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fell asleep reading to my son last night popped awake at midnight. Ok, let's play some Ni no Kuni! Beat the 2nd orb boss about 27 hours in and then realized I'd forgotten to do the casino. Holy #$*!,

Dude you need like 5 more paragraphs before I'll believe that somebody hasn't hacked your account. Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

That’s the correct reaction to Episode 1 but not Pod Racing

Posted Images

I call this The Witcher 3 Effect, due to the fact that I had bought the eponymous game solely because it had great reviews and word of mouth and felt like a game I had to play because it was a modern classic, and then when I booted it up and I saw the combat and how big it was I realized it was way too involving and time consuming. The kind of game Id have to take a college course in. I learned to let go of those games.
It's my Mary Skelter effect.

Don't buy long ass games that review as mediocre. Eal, you've pointed out many times I only buy and play 50+ hour games. So true. But this year I've found so much fun with Golf Story, Pokémon TCG 2, & Mega Man Battle Network, all 15-20 hours good. Hell, it feels like it took much longer, but really Let's Go Pikachu and other RPGs I've beat with my kids haven't been much outside that range too. I'm liking these games sandwiched in between longer titles. I'm more invested in Legend of Heroes this year and will finish TitS 3 this next week and I'm already excited for the Crossbell duology. And I have and want to play Cold Steel 2 & 3 and have 4 for Switch ordered for next year. Those games are going to be 250-350 hours alone and I know I'll like them. Bravely Default 2 will come out and I'll play that 70 or whatever hours. With all the freaking 60+ games I have on my Vita already, I'm good for years. I'll get those 10-20 hour games as they come or go back to Grandia Parallel Trippers and other GBC & GBA games.

Why the hell did I buy Mary Skelter 2 (which came with part 1)? I don't need a pair of 60 hour DRPGs that are mediocre at beat. I might actually do Meoro Chronicles because I read it's 20ish hours and I can get it for like $10-$15 on a sale, but no need for longer mediocrity. Good thing I was able to sell them off for profit.
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, eal said:

I call this The Witcher 3 Effect, due to the fact that I had bought the eponymous game solely because it had great reviews and word of mouth and felt like a game I had to play because it was a modern classic, and then when I booted it up and I saw the combat and how big it was I realized it was way too involving and time consuming. The kind of game Id have to take a college course in. I learned to let go of those games.

Funny enough I almost bought The Witcher 3 today for the Switch. I decided against it because I’m not really keen on open world games. The only ones that have genuinely interested me are Horizon Zero Dawn and Red Dead Redemption 2. While I wasn’t too keen on Zelda Breath of the Wild at first since I was still getting used to the changes to the Zelda formula, I ended up loving that game and put it as an open world type experience I genuinely liked.

Open world games just don’t really appeal to me personally, but the ones that have interested me have been good experiences. Sometimes you find that one game or two from a genre you don’t like that can be a fun time for you.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Funny enough I almost bought The Witcher 3 today for the Switch. I decided against it because I’m not really keen on open world games. The only ones that have genuinely interested me are Horizon Zero Dawn and Red Dead Redemption 2. While I wasn’t too keen on Zelda Breath of the Wild at first since I was still getting used to the changes to the Zelda formula, I ended up loving that game and put it as an open world type experience I genuinely liked.

Open world games just don’t really appeal to me personally, but the ones that have interested me have been good experiences. Sometimes you find that one game or two from a genre you don’t like that can be a fun time for you.

I’ve played a number of open world games that I’ve liked. Sleeping Dogs is one of my favorite games, I’ve spent more time doing side content in Spider-Man for PS4 then the actual story, even Amazing Spider-Man was kinda fun to run around in, and I somehow never got bored doing things in Shadow of Mordor’s open world despite most of it being same-y busywork.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

It's my Mary Skelter effect.

Don't buy long ass games that review as mediocre. Eal, you've pointed out many times I only buy and play 50+ hour games. So true. But this year I've found so much fun with Golf Story, Pokémon TCG 2, & Mega Man Battle Network, all 15-20 hours good. Hell, it feels like it took much longer, but really Let's Go Pikachu and other RPGs I've beat with my kids haven't been much outside that range too. I'm liking these games sandwiched in between longer titles. I'm more invested in Legend of Heroes this year and will finish TitS 3 this next week and I'm already excited for the Crossbell duology. And I have and want to play Cold Steel 2 & 3 and have 4 for Switch ordered for next year. Those games are going to be 250-350 hours alone and I know I'll like them. Bravely Default 2 will come out and I'll play that 70 or whatever hours. With all the freaking 60+ games I have on my Vita already, I'm good for years. I'll get those 10-20 hour games as they come or go back to Grandia Parallel Trippers and other GBC & GBA games.

Why the hell did I buy Mary Skelter 2 (which came with part 1)? I don't need a pair of 60 hour DRPGs that are mediocre at beat. I might actually do Meoro Chronicles because I read it's 20ish hours and I can get it for like $10-$15 on a sale, but no need for longer mediocrity. Good thing I was able to sell them off for profit.

Next year I’m experimenting with a new system where I spend one month playing just one really long game, doing as much as I can in that time, and then the next month playing a bunch of short games.

What you asked yourself about Mary Skelter 2, I asked this weekend about (sorry, Yangus) SMT IV Apocalypse. I bought it for $5 even though I wasn’t particularly good at the original IV. I now wish I didn’t open the thing because it is worth...a lot...brand new. Thankfully, it still fetches a decent price used so long as the pins are included.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Witcher 3 is not as great as people make it out to be. If you want a very narrative heavy game with an open world then it is pretty good. But the combat is so clunky and terrible for how over praised that game is. The story of what I have experienced was pretty good.

Kinda sick of people over praising it to be honest. I have a close friend who hasn't shut up about the game in the last 5 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

Witcher 3 is not as great as people make it out to be. If you want a very narrative heavy game with an open world then it is pretty good. But the combat is so clunky and terrible for how over praised that game is. The story of what I have experienced was pretty good.

Kinda sick of people over praising it to be honest. I have a close friend who hasn't shut up about the game in the last 5 years.

I can totally relate to the “getting sick of it” mentality. I have that with a different game.


Anyway, tried out a demo for an RPG called Cris Tales. I liked how from the images it had a cool looking artstyle and how the turn based RPG combat looked like it was handled like Super Mario RPG where the four face buttons equal a different action.

Downloaded the demo and was immediately disappointed. Combat felt clunky, which you shouldn’t have to say for an turn based RPG, but here’s why: the game uses the Mario RPG approach where hitting the button with the right timing = stronger attack and defending yourself, but there’s no sense of timing for this game, and the tutorial to help with that wasn’t helping at all. There needs to be a sound effect or clear indicator that “Hitting A right when you strike the enemy will boost your strength,” so the player can learn the timing and essentially feel the impact. Didn’t get that at all, and wasn’t impressed from start to finish.

Maybe they’ll improve on the game once the full version comes out, but I was very unimpressed with what the demo had to offer. The concept for the game sounds interesting with its 3 generations you travel across, but if the game isn’t fun to play then what’s the point?

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/29/2020 at 5:34 PM, eal said:

I call this The Witcher 3 Effect, due to the fact that I had bought the eponymous game solely because it had great reviews and word of mouth and felt like a game I had to play because it was a modern classic, and then when I booted it up and I saw the combat and how big it was I realized it was way too involving and time consuming. The kind of game Id have to take a college course in. I learned to let go of those games.

 

On 8/29/2020 at 5:53 PM, Plattym3 said:

It's my Mary Skelter effect.

Don't buy long ass games that review as mediocre. Eal, you've pointed out many times I only buy and play 50+ hour games. So true. But this year I've found so much fun with Golf Story, Pokémon TCG 2, & Mega Man Battle Network, all 15-20 hours good. Hell, it feels like it took much longer, but really Let's Go Pikachu and other RPGs I've beat with my kids haven't been much outside that range too. I'm liking these games sandwiched in between longer titles. I'm more invested in Legend of Heroes this year and will finish TitS 3 this next week and I'm already excited for the Crossbell duology. And I have and want to play Cold Steel 2 & 3 and have 4 for Switch ordered for next year. Those games are going to be 250-350 hours alone and I know I'll like them. Bravely Default 2 will come out and I'll play that 70 or whatever hours. With all the freaking 60+ games I have on my Vita already, I'm good for years. I'll get those 10-20 hour games as they come or go back to Grandia Parallel Trippers and other GBC & GBA games.

Why the hell did I buy Mary Skelter 2 (which came with part 1)? I don't need a pair of 60 hour DRPGs that are mediocre at beat. I might actually do Meoro Chronicles because I read it's 20ish hours and I can get it for like $10-$15 on a sale, but no need for longer mediocrity. Good thing I was able to sell them off for profit.

Yup, excellent points. 

I do still play epic RPGs somewhat often, but I play the shorter ones in between. Also, I've significantly reduced pressure on myself to stick to a game hard and heavy until it's done. I was doing that for a year or so and it took a ton of fun out of gaming. 

 

Whether it's a shorter RPG, or an epic, I've learned to slow down and smell the roses. If it takes a year to beat, so be it, as long as I continue to enjoy my experience. 

 

This has also led to me allowing myself to bounce around a little more, which has reduced pressure and increased enjoyment as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rewarded myself with a little something yesterday. Barely have played my Switch in 6 weeks as kids and wife have taken over the console. Got $150 in thank yous and such from work so invested wisely.

Might pick up Evoland duology for $5 just because. 3f5a4300ee590acff79359d5a6bf8fea.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Rewarded myself with a little something yesterday. Barely have played my Switch in 6 weeks as kids and wife have taken over the console. Got $150 in thank yous and such from work so invested wisely.

Might pick up Evoland duology for $5 just because. 3f5a4300ee590acff79359d5a6bf8fea.jpg

YES!!! Congrats!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn, Super Mario 3D All-Stars is out in like two weeks. Very bold.

And RIP another WiI U exclusive but at least we get Peach in a catsuit Amiibo.

Edited by eal
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2020 at 5:39 AM, Plattym3 said:

Rewarded myself with a little something yesterday. Barely have played my Switch in 6 weeks as kids and wife have taken over the console. Got $150 in thank yous and such from work so invested wisely.

Might pick up Evoland duology for $5 just because. 3f5a4300ee590acff79359d5a6bf8fea.jpg

Congratulations, Platty!  Now you can play your own games while Plattette and the droplets do their things!   Let me know what you end up getting for yourself down the road! :D

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Congratulations, Platty!  Now you can play your own games while Plattette and the droplets do their things!   Let me know what you end up getting for yourself down the road!
I did pick up Evoland duology for $5 and this... 6c2b23690dccba23b7947f97599689d6.jpg

Kids are in the other room playing Yoshi, and I'm playing NOT Pokémon

Link to post
Share on other sites
Rewarded myself with a little something yesterday. Barely have played my Switch in 6 weeks as kids and wife have taken over the console. Got $150 in thank yous and such from work so invested wisely.

Might pick up Evoland duology for $5 just because. 3f5a4300ee590acff79359d5a6bf8fea.jpg
Do it. But skip Evoland 1. Evoland 2 executes the idea much better and and Evoland 1 gets really grindy and un-fun near the end. You need not know anything about the first one to play the second.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh Nexomon. Opening movie is captioned wrong with a word that changes the meaning of the sentence being said aloud. Haha, this is gonna be great.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eal said:

Damn, Super Mario 3D All-Stars is out in like two weeks. Very bold.

And RIP another WiI U exclusive but at least we get Peach in a catsuit Amiibo.

I am just confused on why 3D All-Stars is only going to be sold for 6 months. Including the digital version. Kinda hope that Super Mario 35 stays online for longer as well. Game looks fun.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Twinkie said:

I am just confused on why 3D All-Stars is only going to be sold for 6 months. Including the digital version. Kinda hope that Super Mario 35 stays online for longer as well. Game looks fun.

Yeah, I can’t figure out what exactly their game plan is with that. I’m guessing it’s to make people buy the collection like crazy while it’s available for 6 months, but...why even do that? Just to help push sales and tell people “Hurry, you only get this much time to buy,” doesn’t seem like an approach Nintendo would do with Mario of all series, especially for his 35th anniversary.

This better not become the new thing Nintendo does, especially the limited physical copies. I prefer to buy my games physically if possible or going into a store to pick up the actual product.

Link to post
Share on other sites
I am just confused on why 3D All-Stars is only going to be sold for 6 months. Including the digital version. Kinda hope that Super Mario 35 stays online for longer as well. Game looks fun.
Need to make sure you spend in Q4 and Q1, don't just spend on Xbox & PS5.
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Yeah, I can’t figure out what exactly their game plan is with that. I’m guessing it’s to make people buy the collection like crazy while it’s available for 6 months, but...why even do that? Just to help push sales and tell people “Hurry, you only get this much time to buy,” doesn’t seem like an approach Nintendo would do with Mario of all series, especially for his 35th anniversary.

This better not become the new thing Nintendo does, especially the limited physical copies. I prefer to buy my games physically if possible or going into a store to pick up the actual product.

The theory I’ve seen floated around is they might add it to Switch Online in a similar vein as NES and SNES games.

I’m also disappointed that it seems you can’t buy the games separately. I’d rather be able to play Sunshine than the other two.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, eal said:

The theory I’ve seen floated around is they might add it to Switch Online in a similar vein as NES and SNES games.

I’m also disappointed that it seems you can’t buy the games separately. I’d rather be able to play Sunshine than the other two.

I’m good without playing Galaxy. I enjoyed Galaxy 2 a lot more anyway. The Galaxy games were good, but I didn’t enjoy the linear nature they had for them being 3D Mario games.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Galaxy never clicked with me. Not a bad game. Just couldn't hold my attention long. I am more into SM64 and Sunshine. Either way, As much as I hate to say it. $60 just for a graphical touch up for those two games alone makes it worth it. I ended up preordering the physical since I really don't like getting digital unless its a multiplayer focused game. I haven't played Sunshine since a year after it came out. Looking forward to it.

I also hope that the Game & Watch unit is able to be plugged into a wall with the LCD screen on. I would LOVE for a digital clock like that. I am in the market for one right now.

Edited by Twinkie
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Galaxy never clicked with me. Not a bad game. Just couldn't hold my attention long. I am more into SM64 and Sunshine. Either way, As much as I hate to say it. $60 just for a graphical touch up for those two games alone makes it worth it. I ended up preordering the physical since I really don't like getting digital unless its a multiplayer focused game. I haven't played Sunshine since a year after it came out. Looking forward to it.
I also hope that the Game & Watch unit is able to be plugged into a wall with the LCD screen on. I would LOVE for a digital clock like that. I am in the market for one right now.
Guess I'll get them for my kids. They don't interest me at all, but good for a Christmas gift.
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
20 minutes ago, Twinkie said:
Galaxy never clicked with me. Not a bad game. Just couldn't hold my attention long. I am more into SM64 and Sunshine. Either way, As much as I hate to say it. $60 just for a graphical touch up for those two games alone makes it worth it. I ended up preordering the physical since I really don't like getting digital unless its a multiplayer focused game. I haven't played Sunshine since a year after it came out. Looking forward to it.
I also hope that the Game & Watch unit is able to be plugged into a wall with the LCD screen on. I would LOVE for a digital clock like that. I am in the market for one right now.

Guess I'll get them for my kids. They don't interest me at all, but good for a Christmas gift.

If you have the floor space, you could get the Mario Kart Live tour thing. But that is going to be a steep $200 for two karts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
If you have the floor space, you could get the Mario Kart Live tour thing. But that is going to be a steep $200 for two karts.
Yeah, they're not going to even see that. Haha, we got a huge remote control Grave Digger monster truck 2 weeks ago. They're good with that.
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
40 minutes ago, Twinkie said:
Galaxy never clicked with me. Not a bad game. Just couldn't hold my attention long. I am more into SM64 and Sunshine. Either way, As much as I hate to say it. $60 just for a graphical touch up for those two games alone makes it worth it. I ended up preordering the physical since I really don't like getting digital unless its a multiplayer focused game. I haven't played Sunshine since a year after it came out. Looking forward to it.
I also hope that the Game & Watch unit is able to be plugged into a wall with the LCD screen on. I would LOVE for a digital clock like that. I am in the market for one right now.

Guess I'll get them for my kids. They don't interest me at all, but good for a Christmas gift.

I would be shocked if the price didn’t skyrocket on the secondhand market. At the very least, if I decide I don’t want to play it, I can always get my money back.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
I would be shocked if the price didn’t skyrocket on the secondhand market. At the very least, if I decide I don’t want to play it, I can always get my money back.
Exactly. Although I think this is some sort of marketing ploy. How much you want to bet come next March you can buy each one individually for $25? Physical copies for $30? Something like that. The wording I keep seeing used makes me suspicious.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...