eal

Switch RPGs...?

FINALLY!
Q3ihPbx.jpg
I’m so glad my copy finally arrived in the mail, especially since Amazon told me it wouldn’t show up until the 22nd. Maybe it’s silly to be excited for this game since it’s a collection, but I don’t care. This was a surprise from the Nintendo March Mini Direct, one that I didn’t think I would have been excited for. Looking forward to cracking it open tonight and make it a new relaxation game for after work or a long day.
Tagged for moderator.

*not an RPG

53 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Tagged for moderator.

*not an RPG

He’s taking on the role of someone that plays Yacht Dice. He’s traveling the world by playing all these international games. If this isn’t an RPG I don’t know what is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Tagged for moderator.

*not an RPG

The game DID say when I booted it up that on Earth, it’s all about survival and playing games. And you have to make a customized figure who travels the globe (as in an actual globe 🤣) and the play games. Beating opponents levels them up and earns you trivia rewards and medals.

Totally an RPG, so it’s all good. 😘

• Like 1

He’s taking on the role of someone that plays Yacht Dice.

Seems that's a roll playing game.

I'll allow it.
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

So Clubhouse Games has been pretty cool so far. I was only able to play it for a little while last night and some this morning, but so far I’m really liking what it has to offer.

When you start it up you make a figure for yourself and place it on the globe. I chose the Paul Blart Mall Cop looking guy (complete with a Hawaiian themed shirt and cheesy mustache) and placed him over by the United Kingdom just for the heck of it. From there, I had to choose one of four guides who give you some game suggestions depending on what you might be interested in, like the sports games or the ones you can play by matching cards/playing pieces. I figured this meant you were going to unlock all the games over time by playing them once or something, but in actuality once you choose a guide you go back to the main menu and can freely select any of the games you want. It kind of adverted my expectations, but in a good way. It will make it easy for people to just jump in and start playing.

I played a handful of games, and I found all of them controlled pretty well with the buttons and, when possible, with the touchscreen. In Klondike Solitaire you can freely swap between the buttons and touch screen, and moving the cards with my finger felt like using a mouse on a computer, essentially meaning there wasn’t any kind of lag from touch screen controls. Games like Mancala and Dots & Boxes were easy to figure out, and it was cool seeing what you could do with the touch screen. Heck, as a fun extra, moving the screen around when it was lying flat actually moved playing pieces around in Checkers! Putting the switch back down reverted everything to how it was before, but that’s a cool detail they threw in as a gag.

The presentation is simple, but effective on the main menu. Every game has its own avatar so it’s easy to remember which game is which, and you can arrange them in single file or from a full screen view of everything at once. I wish there was an option for alphabetical order or marking your favorites and putting them first, but that’s more of a nitpick than a complaint. The zoomed out view works just fine, but the close up single file line lets you see some more details about each game before you select it.

When you do select a game, you get a little video and dialogue tutorial giving you an overview of the game (which you can skip at any point if you want to) and you can then access more detailed rules before you start the game for a more in depth explanation. You can check the rules at any point while playing to, so that’s great for the more complicated games or if you need a reminder on something.

Haven’t been able to try out the multiplayer and online yet, but so far I’m really liking this collection. I’ve found some games that will be good to chill out and relax with, and I’m looking forward to trying out some of the ones I’ve never played before in real life.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

Yay! We finally have a release date for Star Wars Pod Racer for Switch!

https://mobile.twitter.com/AspyrMedia/status/1272890148632526848?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1272890148632526848&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fgamefaqs.gamespot.com%2Fboards%2F189706-nintendo-switch%2F78776692

Super happy we have news on this. I was kind of bummed the game disappeared from the eshop back in May.

https://mobile.twitter.com/AspyrMedia/status/1272890148632526848?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1272890148632526848&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fgamefaqs.gamespot.com%2Fboards%2F189706-nintendo-switch%2F78776692

Super happy we have news on this. I was kind of bummed the game disappeared from the eshop back in May.
Gonna have to pick that up. Used to love playing this on PC back in the day.

I’m also looking forward to this but I might actually wait to get it if/when Limited Run Games does a physical release (they have been doing the physical copies of Star Wars re-releases). I have fond memories of playing it, but it was always someone else’s copy, not mine. I didn’t have an N64 or anything else that ran it. So it would be nice to have a physical copy all my own.

38 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:
39 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Gonna have to pick that up. Used to love playing this on PC back in the day.

I played it on the N64 as a kid. My dad rented it but I wasn’t very good at it. Looking forward to it finally releasing on Switch!

On 6/14/2020 at 5:20 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Haven’t been able to try out the multiplayer and online yet, but so far I’m really liking this collection.

Let me know what you think of the local multiplayer if you get a chance, I am curious if this would be good for the kids and I to play

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Woodus said:

Let me know what you think of the local multiplayer if you get a chance, I am curious if this would be good for the kids and I to play

Will do. 👍

From messing around with the game, I can tell you now from checking what’s playable in local multiplayer, all the card games have to be played with each person using their own system. There’s a free app you can download to your Switch that lets you connect to one copy of the game and play everything that’s available in multiplayer.

Single player games are locked out, and in local multiplayer you can use one system and either use joycons or can play in tabletop mode where you simply use the touchscreen.

When I get some actual games in with other people, I’ll report back. Certainly would be a good grab since it’s $40. I’m planning to take this game to family get togethers and on trips.

• Like 1

Been playing Taiko no Tatsujin Drum n’ Fun this evening and have been unlocking more of the characters. The last character I unlocked....well, um...it’s a very Japanese character. I don’t know how else to describe the character, but I guess you could call it a #$*! post version of the red drum main character. Even the game doesn’t know how to explain the character.spacer.png

The other character that I unlocked that caught my eye was this bear wearing a mask:

spacer.png

I’m sure it’s based on something in Japanese culture, but all I can think of when seeing that mask is the final boss from Wario Land 4. 🤣

All of that aside, it’s been fun going through the library of songs. The Pop section of music has some pretty catchy stuff, and I like how each playable character affects songs in some way. Playing as the main drum character doesn’t give any benefits, while playing as one of the dog characters makes it easier to get large combos off drum roll notes.

So I've tried the Trials of Mana demo today. Keep in mind I didn't play the SNES version of Trials of Mana. And so far, my first impressions of Trials of Mana are pretty positive. I do enjoy the art style. And the combat's pretty enjoyable, albeit not very challenging (I was playing in normal difficulty). However, I find sprinting to feel a little clunky. Maybe it's because I put analog stick covers/grips on my Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, but it didn't feel intuitive for me to press the analog sticks to sprint. Of course, that's probably because I'm spoiled by Dragon Quest XI S since you press ZR to sprint, which feels more intuitive to me. But I feel like the dialogue pacing when there's voice acting is all over the place. And the English dub is at best average and can be pretty terrible and all over the place at worst.

Luminia sounded very different from what I was expecting and seemed a little out of place. But that's probably me.

Overall, Trials of Mana is a good JRPG.  And even though I'm curious to see what happens after the demo ends, I don't know if Trials of Mana is good enough to fork over $49.99 USD to Square Enix.

13 hours ago, Dakhil said:

Overall, Trials of Mana is a good JRPG.  And even though I'm curious to see what happens after the demo ends, I don't know if Trials of Mana is good enough to fork over $49.99 USD to Square Enix.

Especially knowing how quickly price-drops happen these days....

Eh... not so much for Switch games.

1 minute ago, Plattym3 said:
2 hours ago, cprmauldin said:

Eh... not so much for Nintendo published Switch games.

Fixed that for you.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Fixed that for you.

Color Splash is still $50 at most Walmarts lol.

Edited by eal

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Fixed that for you.

1 hour ago, eal said:

Color Splash is still $50 at most Walmarts lol.

So....I wanted to argue...but then I looked up a bunch of Switch games and I have no choice but to concede. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cprmauldin said:

So....I wanted to argue...but then I looked up a bunch of Switch games and I have no choice but to concede. 

Yeah, Nintendo published games rarely go down in price, and if they do it’s either a few bucks or a re-release under the Nintendo Selects line of games.

I figured it was common knowledge that Nintendo doesn’t do price drops.

Nintendon't do what Sony does. There's no game of the year edition for $30 ever coming.

14 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Yeah, Nintendo published games rarely go down in price, and if they do it’s either a few bucks or a re-release under the Nintendo Selects line of games.

I figured it was common knowledge that Nintendo doesn’t do price drops.

9 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Nintendon't do what Sony does. There's no game of the year edition for $30 ever coming.

Yeah, I guess I'm still used to the prices I've dealt with on PS4. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Genesis does what Nintendon’t...I mean, Sony does what Nintendon’t.

In all seriousness, from primarily being a Nintendo gamer all my life, you can expect a good quality game from the big N. They definitely put the most spit and polish into their games. Not every game is great to be fair,  but most everything from Nintendo specifically I’ve bought over the years has been worth getting.

I wish they would put more games on the Nintendo Selects line of games though. Those are usually the best way to get an older out of print game if you missed it the first time. That’s how I got Kirby Triple Deluxe on 3DS for example.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Lots of gaming news happening this morning. We got release dates and Switch versions of Ys IX and Trails of Cold Steel IV coming along with PS4 and PC versions, a Switch version of Shiron the Wanderer: The Tower of Fate and the Dice Fate is coming later this year, more NEO GEO Pocket games are on the way (one of them being King of Fighters R-2), and Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 was revealed.

Plenty of stuff I’m excited for. I’ll probably stick to the PS4 versions of the Falcom games, but good to see more of them coming to Switch for those who may lack a PS4 and are Falcom fans. Ys IX especially looks great, can’t wait for that one.

• Like 1

I'm far enough behind I can wait on Switch ports of Cold Steel. Tempted to preorder. I'll wait and see if Walmart makes Amazon drop the price.

Oh hey, look! Basically free after my profit from them. 15c5ecb4452eeba8ba56e621874b31a2.jpg