eal

Switch RPGs...?

6C17F49B-085A-415E-864C-B3A8D51B0283.jpeg.e71d0dacc588cbdea67dcc9ba793cfaa.jpeg

This really does annoy me though. For whatever reason Amazon pushed back my order of the game even further. I’m bummed I have to wait until almost the end of the month to play it. Kind of would like it now as a relaxing after work game.

Guess it keeps me from getting distracted from Bug Fables. I can’t believe I almost have 40 hours in that game already and I’m not even done with chapter 6 yet! There’s so much content to the game, but in a very good way.

Well, I lasted about 43% of the year not purchasing a game just for me. Got pointed to the Cheap Ass Gamer Twitter today and buh bye no new game goals.

Got Civilization 6 today for Switch for $15 physical off Amazon. Someone on the RPGamer Discord chat was trying to explain the series to me. Had to fend him off with a "Dude, I was playing the first game in 1993 in the back of the classrooms in high school, I know!" It came with free next day shipping and it's already shipped.

Then I saw (again) that Golf Story was on sale for 50% off. Since the seal of no new games was broken and I had some gold coins anyway, I broke down and bought it. My sons noticed it downloading when they were playing the Switch and begged to watch it. So I waited until everyone was ready for bed and loaded it up at 8pm. 80 minutes later I had to force myself to stop and get kids to sleep! So much fun. And I've played enough golf games that I'm pretty good, even some tougher challenges went down after a try or two. Odd gameplay progression, but just walking around I've discovered quite a lot!

13 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Got Civilization 6 today for Switch for $15 physical off Amazon. Someone on the RPGamer Discord chat was trying to explain the series to me. Had to fend him off with a "Dude, I was playing the first game in 1993 in the back of the classrooms in high school, I know!" It came with free next day shipping and it's already shipped.

It plays really well on Switch with the touch controls. Though I was way more into Civ 5 than 6 for some reason.

It plays really well on Switch with the touch controls. Though I was way more into Civ 5 than 6 for some reason.
Hey, it's 4 stops away! Sadly, closer to my house than I am.

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

How well does the game run on Switch, Aust? It’s been years since I played a Civ game, but I remember it being fun even though I was slow at figuring things out.

49 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

How well does the game run on Switch, Aust? It’s been years since I played a Civ game, but I remember it being fun even though I was slow at figuring things out.

Runs about the same as on PC only it has controller support and touch controls.

I liked the touch controls so much I wonder why they haven't ported these to tablets yet.

• Like 1

Looks like there’s an eShop sale with a lot to offer. I’ll poke through it later on since a few games on my Wish List are on sale.

Posted (edited)

Bought a few games from the current summer sale. Got Resident Evil 4 and the other SteamWorld games I didn’t have. Resident Evil 4 has been great to replay on the Switch, and feels good to control in handheld mode. I might pick up the Castlevania and Contra collections since you can get both for the price of one right now, so I may purchase those too. Not much else on my wishlist is on sale, so that will probably be all I get.

I will say that the current summer sale has A LOT of good stuff up for grabs at good prices. The Sega Genesis Collection is on sale, Okami HD, a number of Indie games...lots up for grabs until the 16th.

The only other game I’m considering getting is Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum ‘n’ Fun, as I think it would be a good game for when I’m walking on the treadmill. I’m able to sit the screen on the treadmill and can hold the joy cons in my hands, and I figure it could give me some arm exercise.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

The only other game I’m considering getting is Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum ‘n’ Fun, as I think it would be a good game for when I’m walking on the treadmill. I’m able to sit the screen on the treadmill and can hold the joy cons in my hands, and I figure it could give me some arm exercise.

I bought it! As well as the Demon Slayer theme song and a Studio Ghibli DLC pack. I’ll let you know how it is when I can get around to playing it.

I also bought The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince since it looks like a platformer with a children’s storybook aesthetic and story. Can’t wait to give that a try.

Edited by eal
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, eal said:

I bought it! As well as the Demon Slayer theme song and a Studio Ghibli DLC pack. I’ll let you know how it is when I can get around to playing it.

I also bought The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince since it looks like a platformer with a children’s storybook aesthetic and story. Can’t wait to give that a try.

Yeah, please let me know. I’m have some gold coin credits and would consider using it for DLC, especially if there’s Studio Ghibli music.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Yeah, please let me know. I’m have some gold coin credits and would consider using it for DLC, especially if there’s Studio Ghibli music.

It looks like a Spirited Away song is included in the base game but I’ll have to see when it finished downloading and there are two DLC packs for Ghibli music that mixes some of the most well known songs from the most popular movies. The DLC is weird. There’s the Japanese version of a few Frozen songs, some Vocaloid packs, a pack with some random anime themes, Dragon Ball and One Piece packs, a pack of Weathering With You songs, some J-Pop packs, and a couple Pokémon songs. Oh, and some Undertale songs as well. It’s too bad you can’t get the drum peripheral, the gameplay with the drum looks amazing.

Edited by eal

It looks like a Spirited Away song is included in the base game but I’ll have to see when it finished downloading and there are two DLC packs for Ghibli music that mixes some of the most well known songs from the most popular movies. The DLC is weird. There’s the Japanese version of a few Frozen songs, some Vocaloid packs, a pack with some random anime themes, Dragon Ball and One Piece packs, a pack of Weathering With You songs, some J-Pop packs, and a couple Pokémon songs. Oh, and some Undertale songs as well. It’s too bad you can’t get the drum peripheral, the gameplay with the drum looks amazing.
I believe@Liamland got that drum thing.

Okay, I put in a little bit of time into Taiko no Tatsujin and I gotta say it’s hella fun.

It’s definitely a party/arcade game above all else. There are a ton of multiplayer options and some sort of battle mode. I didn’t get too deep into any of it, since I was more interested in the solo content. Your score is more prominent then whether or not you got a Full Combo and songs are incredibly easy to clear. Unlike a lot of other rhythm games, you can get Full Combos incredibly easily, sometimes on your first try on Easy and Normal difficulty songs. It ramps up considerably when you try Hard or Extreme difficulty. It’s definitely easy to learn but hard to master.

I also feel like that might have to do with whether or not you use the drum peripheral. You can probably drum faster and more accurately then you can tap buttons or swing your arms at certain angles to nothing. I tried motion controls and I was quite bad at them so I switched to a controller and immediately felt a difference. In fact, since I was playing in docked mode, I was basically bopping up and down to the songs, moving around with the controller in my hand. I was having a ton of fun grooving to what I was playing.

As for the song selection, this game was made for me. I bought some DLC with some coins and ended up with a Studio Ghibli pack and the Demon Slayer OP, but right from the beginning you get cool songs like the ED from Spirited Away, the OP to One Piece, Jump Up, Super Star! from Mario Odyssey, Cruel Angel’s Thesis, Zenzenzense, the Blood Blockade Battlefront ED is under the Pop section I guess because it was a pop song before it was an anime song, and a song from Moana in Japanese. Real good selection of stuff. And best of all is that it’s all really short. Most songs you can do in 2 minutes. So if you screw up you can keep replaying and not feel like you’re wasting your time making a mistake deep into the song and starting over.

I had fun playing it, and I’m looking forward to getting deeper into it. Would recommend if you don’t mind Japanese music.

38 minutes ago, eal said:

Jump Up, Super Star! from Mario Odyssey,

Are we talking the English or Japanese version of the song?

6 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Are we talking the English or Japanese version of the song?

For some reason they use the English version.

1 hour ago, eal said:

For some reason they use the English version.

Good. I prefer the English version.

On 6/11/2020 at 12:41 AM, Plattym3 said:

I believe@Liamland got that drum thing.

Indeed. I'm one of very few people in the world to own the Switch Drum, but not the Switch.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Liamland said:

Indeed. I'm one of very few people in the world to own the Switch Drum, but not the Switch.

I have the GameCube bongos so I think I have you beat.

Posted (edited)

Bought and downloaded the Drum game (I know it’s not the real name but screw it) and it’s pretty fun actually. Using it on the treadmill certainly gave me an arm work out like I thought, but the motion controls do work pretty well. I found it easier to use the L and R buttons on the joycons to hit the blue notes rather than trying to swing them at an angle like the game recommended, and with the way you hold the joy cons in motion control mode it’s super easy to rest your thumbs on the two buttons and push them when necessary.

Picked up the Studio Ghibli DLC too and am pleased with the song selections, though I do wish something from Princess Mononoke was present since that’s a very Japanese culture based movie.

I definitely think this will be a good go to game for on the treadmill since it will help me work out and burn a few more calories or just make my arms feel tired. 🤣 Don’t recognize a lot of the music, but the few songs from the Pop section I played did have a good beat and sound to them, and as long as the music is fun to play to, I’m good.

Also, cool to see some Nintendo characters on the playable roster. I went with Kirby and he totally fits right in with all the weird little characters who pop up and dance along with the music as you keep playing. Him jumping onto the Warp Star when you do really well was a nice touch.

1 hour ago, eal said:

I have the GameCube bongos so I think I have you beat.

We still have ours ;)

• Like 1

If we’re bringing up GameCube accessories, who here has the Dance Pad for Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix? I still have mine.

1 hour ago, Woodus said:

We still have ours ;)

Fun fact: I don’t have any games compatible with it but this pair of bongos was in the same Walmart for over a decade, even surviving the move to a different location when it expanded into a super Walmart. The box was a mess and they were still selling it for $25 and I would see it every time I went to the electronics section so I bought it mostly for the sentimental value.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, eal said:

Okay, I put in a little bit of time into Taiko no Tatsujin and I gotta say it’s hella fun.

It’s definitely a party/arcade game above all else. There are a ton of multiplayer options and some sort of battle mode. I didn’t get too deep into any of it, since I was more interested in the solo content. Your score is more prominent then whether or not you got a Full Combo and songs are incredibly easy to clear. Unlike a lot of other rhythm games, you can get Full Combos incredibly easily, sometimes on your first try on Easy and Normal difficulty songs. It ramps up considerably when you try Hard or Extreme difficulty. It’s definitely easy to learn but hard to master.

I also feel like that might have to do with whether or not you use the drum peripheral. You can probably drum faster and more accurately then you can tap buttons or swing your arms at certain angles to nothing. I tried motion controls and I was quite bad at them so I switched to a controller and immediately felt a difference. In fact, since I was playing in docked mode, I was basically bopping up and down to the songs, moving around with the controller in my hand. I was having a ton of fun grooving to what I was playing.

As for the song selection, this game was made for me. I bought some DLC with some coins and ended up with a Studio Ghibli pack and the Demon Slayer OP, but right from the beginning you get cool songs like the ED from Spirited Away, the OP to One Piece, Jump Up, Super Star! from Mario Odyssey, Cruel Angel’s Thesis, Zenzenzense, the Blood Blockade Battlefront ED is under the Pop section I guess because it was a pop song before it was an anime song, and a song from Moana in Japanese. Real good selection of stuff. And best of all is that it’s all really short. Most songs you can do in 2 minutes. So if you screw up you can keep replaying and not feel like you’re wasting your time making a mistake deep into the song and starting over.

I had fun playing it, and I’m looking forward to getting deeper into it. Would recommend if you don’t mind Japanese music.

I found that if you play the mini games you can unlock new characters. After playing one I unlocked the drumstick duo who help you practice. Playing solo songs multiple times seems to unlock new songs too. Might be some more ways to unlock stuff, gotta keep playing to see.

I also found that you can alter the sounds the game makes when you hit a beat once you choose your song. Before you push A to start it up once chosen, you can push the plus button to alter all kinds of settings. I’m digging the PAC-MAN sound effects option.

Really liking the game, but why do all these characters keep yelling at me in Japanese?! 

Spoiler

I actually don’t care the dialogue is in Japanese, just find it funny how happy the voices sound and all I can do is just smile and nod.

14 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I found that if you play the mini games you can unlock new characters. After playing one I unlocked the drumstick duo who help you practice. Playing solo songs multiple times seems to unlock new songs too. Might be some more ways to unlock stuff, gotta keep playing to see.

I also found that you can alter the sounds the game makes when you hit a beat once you choose your song. Before you push A to start it up once chosen, you can push the plus button to alter all kinds of settings. I’m digging the PAC-MAN sound effects option.

Really liking the game, but why do all these characters keep yelling at me in Japanese?! 

Reveal hidden contents

I actually don’t care the dialogue is in Japanese, just find it funny how happy the voices sound and all I can do is just smile and nod.

I googled it earlier today and yes, playing party games a certain amount of times unlocks characters and playing songs a certain amount of times will unlock some more songs.

Posted (edited)

FINALLY!

spacer.png

I’m so glad my copy finally arrived in the mail, especially since Amazon told me it wouldn’t show up until the 22nd. Maybe it’s silly to be excited for this game since it’s a collection of real life games, but I don’t care. This was a surprise from the Nintendo March Mini Direct, one that I didn’t think I would have been excited for. Looking forward to cracking it open tonight and make it a new relaxation game for after work or a long day.

• Like 1