eal

Switch RPGs...?

Not really a question, just a play on the Vita topic.

Pretty much all of us have Switch consoles now and I’m told a lot of us like RPGs so we might as well have a topic to talk about the RPGs on the Switch, whether its games we’re playing or games we’ve heard about or asking for opinions.

Golf Story was pretty good, though not your traditional rpg. I really liked that is was trying to be something different.

Then there's the obvious Switch RPG darling, Octopath.

I'm in the mood for a JRPG on Switch. I have the Sega Ages version of Phantasy Star ready to go but I'd reeeeally like some sold Dragon Quest games on the platform.

I actually just this morning finally ordered The World Ends With You. My waiting paid off and it got bumped down to $20 on Amazon.

-Octopath Traveler. This was a game that sold me on the Switch. It being made by the folks who made the Bravely games is a plus since I enjoyed both.

-Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, which is essentially the Definitive Edition since it has all the DLC from the other versions of the game and the new content from the PS4 version. Only issue the Switch version has is frame rate similar to the Vita version (pretty sure it’s portable only, would have to double check), but after playing that version for so long I probably wouldn’t notice any issues. Not sure when I’ll pick up this version, but it’s definitely one I’ll get in the future since I’ve become such a fan of Falcom games.

-Dragon Quest XI: Definitive later this year in September. Got over 200 hours in the PS4 version and will likely clock in just as many with the Switch version, if not even more what with all the new content and us finally getting content that was exclusive to the 3DS version.

-Fire Emblem: Three Houses. I’m waiting to learn more about the game before I get it, but I am genuinely interested in this game. While I’ve been kinda 50/50 on my enjoyment of Fire Emblem games, the latest entry seems interesting and I like some of the ideas they are bringing to the game.

Only other one that springs to mind right now is Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but it’s not a game I’m interested in. I liked the first one though, but I never did finish it.

@eal good call on the topic.

Well, basically every single RPG known to mankind has a Switch port or has one planned, so there's that.  But specifically...?

SteamWorld Quest - can't talk highly enough about this. Fun game you can beat in under 20 hours and just awesome all around. I reviewed it and gave it 4.5/5.0

Octopath Traveler is of course the default one. I didn't find it as grindy as most people did, mainly because I found ways to get ahead of the story progression and sneak in places 30+ levels above mine and loot the hell of them. Again, another review I did and 4.5/5.0. This and SteamWorld Quest are the best two Switch only (at the time) games I've played. 

About 20 minutes ago a game called Battle Chasers: Nightwar arrived in the mail. I've heard good things about this from multiple podcasts from multiple sites and when I looked it up, one of the more discerning guys at RPGamer gave it a 4.5 which was a real surprise to me as he gave that score to DQXI and... nothing else (not even that POS FFXII that people love for some reason). I'm sure I won't start this anytime soon, but a sealed copy for $20 seemed too good not to pick up.

14 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

Golf Story was pretty good, though not your traditional rpg. I really liked that is was trying to be something different.

That's been on my radar a while. I'd like to pick that up.

Any way to make wishlist on the Nintendo eshop?

That's been on my radar a while. I'd like to pick that up.
Any way to make wishlist on the Nintendo eshop?
Yes there is actually. There still are no user reviews on the eshop, but at least they got the wishlist right.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Yes there is actually. There still are no user reviews on the eshop, but at least they got the wishlist right.

Do I need to do it on my Switch or can I do it on the computer. Couldn't find that option before on the browser.

Do I need to do it on my Switch or can I do it on the computer. Couldn't find that option before on the browser.
I've never browsed the eshop on a PC before so I'm sure. Its definitely there on the Switch though. Should be a checkbox just below the purchase button.

24 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

It’s too early to think so I’m gonna just put in a placeholder joke: [insert Epic Store shopping cart joke here]. Someone feel free to fill in the blank.

• Like 1

It’s too early to think so I’m gonna just put in a placeholder joke: [insert Epic Store shopping cart joke here]. Someone feel free to fill in the blank.
I bet if someone did it, it'd be Epic.

31 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
34 minutes ago, eal said:

I bet if someone did it, it'd be Epic.

Okay, this is epic.

I've never browsed the eshop on a PC before so I'm sure. Its definitely there on the Switch though. Should be a checkbox just below the purchase button.

I've never really browsed on the Switch before. Just did and went to bookmark some and noticed the Braveland Trilogy was 50% off. I was chatting with the owner of RPGamer that reviewed the games and in it she mentioned how much they were like Heroes of Might and Magic (games I loved long ago). As 3 short games from 4-7 hours long each, and 50% off, I totally picked them up.

Amazon just delivered Dragon Quest Builders 2, so out for a while!

Nevermind, load times suck... I got a while.

I have a different RPG setup than you lot, because I tend to go more for odd content.

If you guys like the Disgaea series, Disgaea 5 Complete is well, Disgaea 5. I bought it more because it was $7 new, and I wanted a SRPG to go with the system.

I have Cosmic Star Heroine, and I'm about three hours into it. It's fully sci-fi, and if you liked Breath of Death VIII or Cthulu Saves the World, I say go for it.

There's Swords of Ditto: Mormo's Curse, which is a really good title if you like hack-and-slash Zelda-ish games. It has a permadeath mechanic, but everything carries over.

If you want to count quasi-RPGs, there's also Bloodstained : Ritual of the Knight and Hollow Knight. Both have RPG-ish mechanics as far as item collecting and leveling systems, but I'm a sucker for the traditional Metroidvania.

I played Archlion Saga on my phone. If it's still $3, grab it. Otherwise, wait for sales. It's quite solid, reminds me of a traditional Nintendo-era JRPG, but it's horrifically linear and super-short. meant to play in a sitting.

Doom and Destiny is LONG. Made by an Italian-based team, it's a love letter to everything RPG, and it shows. It's sequel, Doom and Destiny Advanced, is coming to the Switch at some point, and I recommend that over the original.

I ain't got nothin else. :w

I have a different RPG setup than you lot, because I tend to go more for odd content.

If you guys like the Disgaea series, Disgaea 5 Complete is well, Disgaea 5. I bought it more because it was $7 new, and I wanted a SRPG to go with the system.

I have Cosmic Star Heroine, and I'm about three hours into it. It's fully sci-fi, and if you liked Breath of Death VIII or Cthulu Saves the World, I say go for it.

There's Swords of Ditto: Mormo's Curse, which is a really good title if you like hack-and-slash Zelda-ish games. It has a permadeath mechanic, but everything carries over.

If you want to count quasi-RPGs, there's also Bloodstained : Ritual of the Knight and Hollow Knight. Both have RPG-ish mechanics as far as item collecting and leveling systems, but I'm a sucker for the traditional Metroidvania.

I played Archlion Saga on my phone. If it's still $3, grab it. Otherwise, wait for sales. It's quite solid, reminds me of a traditional Nintendo-era JRPG, but it's horrifically linear and super-short. meant to play in a sitting.

Doom and Destiny is LONG. Made by an Italian-based team, it's a love letter to everything RPG, and it shows. It's sequel, Doom and Destiny Advanced, is coming to the Switch at some point, and I recommend that over the original.

I ain't got nothin else. :w
I really need to finish Disgaea 5. It was so good but I got distracted by something else.