Sign in to follow this  
AustNerevar

Bootleg strategy guides

So I tried something recently uaing Blurb.com. I didn't want to play $100+ for a collectible copy of the DWM2 prima guide so I had a copy printed myself using a pdf file. I guess technically this is piracy but since Prima Games is out of business and they weren't even selling this book in the last decade of their existence anyway, there's no harm done.

Honeatly I'm pleased at how it turned out. It isn't perfect by any means of course, but its totally usuable and even looks nice, if you can ignore the page creases from the original PDF scan. The spine image is the weakest part as it was the most difficult to find a high res image of, but I was sorta slapping this thing together kind of sloppily any way so I wasn't too concerned with making a passable bootleg or anything. This is more for practical uses anyway.e351cf0e15817290fc20abd7af38a4fe.jpg3d03103b04f82e03f2903f8d44455dee.jpg33b51ae81eab7024860e42af41686ba0.jpgb5cc0f85475213240028d4859bc25b2f.jpg64029ebbdedce4511f0531a7f6271043.jpg

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Prima Games isn't out of business.  They've now become almost exclusively online, and are kind of like Samurai Gamers/Wikipedia/IGN's Wiki/etc.  Only with fully released guides on the spot or a series of pre-set initial helper articles (kind of like what Hardcore Gamers does), that are paid for, but at a much cheaper pricing model per article (just more expensive per word).  Though now and again they do print actual physical guides, it's rare (ES6 will probably get one, and it will almost certainly be pre-order or per-order only).

However, because the guide is out of print, this is acceptable.  Even IF the guide were in print, this would still be acceptable.  The problem with laws is that they're never absolutely specific.  For instance, going to a library to get a book, to print copies of pages from that book, including all pages of that book, is absolutely allowed.  You aren't even required to make those copies in the library.  They can be made anywhere, from any copy machine.

Same with online books, unfortunately.  This is why companies automatically force a paywall structure, and allow only a certain amount of content to show up front (and until recently, allowed printing those free pages).  The law cannot protect them directly, so they protect their own bodies of work by forcing those limitations.  If the law did, it would negate the purpose of copy-machines (which still exist), and the point of using a library as a tool for teachers.  Unless they specified VERY specific instances, however this would complicate things with other forms of learning groups, such as seminars, camps, coaches, home schooling, printing up copies for usage in company meetings, etc.

The only two times the law would play a part are:

1) You host the Prima guide, even one out of print, and Prima, or whoever holds the rights, requests you pull it.

2) You print the guide without permission, then attempt to sell it.  You can give it away, or use it for your own purposes infinitely, but you cannot make money off of it.

Anyone who tries to assert there are more draconian laws in place would be lying or manipulating the rhetoric in the law to fit what they want to see or argue as being true.

----

All that said.  Yeah, that looks really nice.

Oh, right.  If you ever do print these and sell, you should get Prima's permission.  If not, you CAN charge for the materials, but keep tabs on that.  I don't think you can charge for labor, but that I don't know.  Shipping, sure.

I'm only saying this because that's a rather solid job.

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 2

If you don't mind sharing, how much did that specific one cost to make?

11 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

If you don't mind sharing, how much did that specific one cost to make?

$32

• Like 1