Ryu's / Matt's Ranting time! - WTF SONY?!

https://nintendosoup.com/wsj-report-smaller-game-developers-feel-snubbed-by-sony-in-contrast-to-nintendo/

I'm sure you all have seen news about Sony's now-leaked/etc custom "censorship" guidelines. And now they said something that...

That...

RGRBRBRBRBRBBRLELERRLRL!

*breathe*

According to the report, Sony aims to market the Playstation 5 to “serious players”. To achieve this, the company intends to focus more on the big-name publishers and blockbuster titles such as Red Dead Redemption and Fallout, with less emphasis on smaller independent games. The reasoning provided was that “resources are limited” and that people mainly buy consoles to play more “graphic intensive” and “high quality games” .

That's more than a snub. That's a *BLEEPING* insult. That's right, an f-bomb can't even BEGIN to describe that.

Does Sony think we're a bunch of #$*!ing dudebros or some #$*!? That we can't handle anything but THE BES GRAPHYX and #$*!? While there's going to be AWESOME AS HELL looking games like Death Stranding out there, when I look at a Sony wall, I see nothing but sports games and shooters anymore.

It's the independent titles that keep everything going. They keep surprising everyone with super-quality titles and guess what? You don't gotta spend $59.99 to get a good damned game now. You can spend $10. Or $20. Or (god help us) even $30 for some of the better ones.

God, I need to take a shower.

44 minutes ago, RyuKisargi said:

Does Sony think we're a bunch of #$*!ing dudebros or some #$*!? That we can't handle anything but THE BES GRAPHYX and #$*!? While there's going to be AWESOME AS HELL looking games like Death Stranding out there, when I look at a Sony wall, I see nothing but sports games and shooters anymore.

Look at their commercials. That's exactly who they've been shooting for in the past couple of years.

• Like 1

It’s funny how Nintendo and Microsoft, despite having rival consoles, are working together for cross play on some games, are bringing Microsoft games like Cuphead to the Switch (yes I know it’s also on PC but home console wise it was only on Xbox One) and Banjo-Kazooie being added to Smash Ultimate this year.

Those two may make mistakes, but for the time being they are doing a lot better than Sony are. I mean, I don’t care much about Xbox/Microsoft systems, but I have to give credit to Microsoft for the game showcase they had at E3 this year. Showing a large array of big name games and indie titles was great, and there were a few games from both sides I would be interested in checking out once I caught up with what the news. I can’t speak on their stance towards smaller teams/games, but at least it comes across that Microsoft (and Nintendo) are open to indie games and are happy about promoting them or showing them off for their wider audience.

Maybe Sony will have their Gob Bluth moment and realize:

They must have realized that they can’t compete with the Nintendo Switch on that front. It’s one of the most indie dev friendly places to go. I know I personally would prefer to play shorter, more simplified experiences on a portable system, and in terms of graphics, the Switch and PS4 will always be on the same playing field when it comes to most indie games. Heck, Hellblade is probably the most AAA looking indie game and it looks like it’ll run on the Switch on par with the other consoles.

I go where the games go. The only system I’ve ever bought the closest from its release is the Switch because there was enough there to make it a good investment. If the PS5 doesn’t offer the same I guess I’ve just saved a couple hundred bucks :)

Que sera, sera.

12 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

It’s funny how Nintendo and Microsoft, despite having rival consoles, are working together for cross play on some games, are bringing Microsoft games like Cuphead to the Switch (yes I know it’s also on PC but home console wise it was only on Xbox One) and Banjo-Kazooie being added to Smash Ultimate this year.

Those two may make mistakes, but for the time being they are doing a lot better than Sony are. I mean, I don’t care much about Xbox/Microsoft systems, but I have to give credit to Microsoft for the game showcase they had at E3 this year. Showing a large array of big name games and indie titles was great, and there were a few games from both sides I would be interested in checking out once I caught up with what the news. I can’t speak on their stance towards smaller teams/games, but at least it comes across that Microsoft (and Nintendo) are open to indie games and are happy about promoting them or showing them off for their wider audience.

The problem for Microsoft is that they essentially have nothing of value to entice buyers. They’ve probably figured, since it’s the end of the XBone’s lifespan, it’s too late to put out new games and hope to sell more consoles, and so they’ve decided to focus on other content in the meantime, like that Game Pass and streaming thing or whatever and handing over some of their console exclusives to Nintendo. I genuinely thought they were going to be leaving the console business behind in the next generation with all the stuff they’ve been doing.

Edited by eal
They must have realized that they can’t compete with the Nintendo Switch on that front. It’s one of the most indie dev friendly places to go. I know I personally would prefer to play shorter, more simplified experiences on a portable system, and in terms of graphics, the Switch and PS4 will always be on the same playing field when it comes to most indie games. Heck, Hellblade is probably the most AAA looking indie game and it looks like it’ll run on the Switch on par with the other consoles.
I go where the games go. The only system I’ve ever bought the closest from its release is the Switch because there was enough there to make it a good investment. If the PS5 doesn’t offer the same I guess I’ve just saved a couple hundred bucks
Que sera, sera.
The problem for Microsoft is that they essentially have nothing of value to entice buyers. They’ve probably figured, since it’s the end of the XBone’s lifespan, it’s too late to put out new games and hope to sell more consoles, and so they’ve decided to focus on other content in the meantime, like that Game Pass and streaming thing or whatever and handing over some of their console exclusives to Nintendo. I genuinely thought they were going to be leaving the console business behind in the next generation with all the stuff they’ve been doing.
The best way I've heard to describe X-box is this: it has a ton of games that if you own the system, you'd of course want to buy; however, it doesn't have the game exclusives that make you want to buy the system.

What's on X that isn't somewhere else, especially PC?
16 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

The best way I've heard to describe X-box is this: it has a ton of games that if you own the system, you'd of course want to buy; however, it doesn't have the game exclusives that make you want to buy the system.

What's on X that isn't somewhere else, especially PC?

There are literally no games on the XBone that you can’t get on something else. I only own one so I can play the Xbox 360 exclusives. Any games I own were cheaper than I could find on PS4. I did buy Recore the other day because it was $5 and I own Quantum Break because it’s by the Alan Wake people (and it came with a digital code for Alan Wake so I don’t have to play it on PC anymore), but even then I hear it’s not as good as their earlier games.

Edited by eal
36 minutes ago, eal said:

I go where the games go. The only system I’ve ever bought the closest from its release is the Switch because there was enough there to make it a good investment. If the PS5 doesn’t offer the same I guess I’ve just saved a couple hundred bucks :)

Que sera, sera.

I still like that they were promoting indie games regardless of their situation. It was nice to see a showcase of upcoming indie titles, some I had never heard of.

Now all we need is Microsoft to release Rare Replay on the Switch. Rare Replay is a game collection I would buy a cheap used XBone for, but if they released it on the Switch that’d be cool.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

This has been Sony's approach since they started out. Ask anyone who ever tried to release a 2D game on the PS1, PS2, PS3, or PS4.

They have always been douches towards indie devs. I have first hand reports from the people who made Limbo and the ones behind Devil Engine. But it's not like it isn't otherwise well documented.

What have I ever played on my PS4:

DQH
DQH2
P5
DQXI

That's all I've ever really chosen to play on it. Maybe a little thing here or there. I don't much care what they do for PS5. If a DQ game comes to it exclusively, I'll get it. If not, pass. Never had a PS3 & my life was fine.

Most of my games on my Switch ARE indies. :)

For PS games, I just buy whatever interests me on a gameplay standpoint or some other, or if I hear it's a particularly good game and I'm interested in checking it out, not caring whether it has gorgeous settings or just upscaled assets, be it God of War or Neptunia.

And even B-list games can be high quality, too, so I'm not buying that implication that Sony's giving us.

I got Disgaea 5 Switch brandnew for $7. :)

• Like 1