Sign in to follow this  
Plattym3

What do you think of the Builders 2 demo?

So far so good, except... load time for the demo is rediculous. Over a minute from clicking to see a title. Hmmm... this is on the Switch Btw. In the game it seems ok though.

Also, when I got to the island and it hinted I should dig through the sand to the other side, I went to swim out and around the rock. Game pauses, fades to black, then puts me at the end of the tunnel it wanted me to dig through. Haha, it didn't like my alternative!

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Also, when I got to the island and it hinted I should dig through the sand to the other side, I went to swim out and around the rock. Game pauses, fades to black, then puts me at the end of the tunnel it wanted me to dig through. Haha, it didn't like my alternative!

You rebel you ;)

I like the story so far a lot.  I really like the whole island castaway sort of thing they're going for.  Definitely looking forward to the full game.

• Like 1

I like the story so far a lot.  I really like the whole island castaway sort of thing they're going for.  Definitely looking forward to the full game.
Yep. Good reason to build. They needed a different reason other than "the world was destroyed." I do like the hook.

Menus reminding me of Persona 5.

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Yep. Good reason to build. They needed a different reason other than "the world was destroyed." I do like the hook.

Menus reminding me of Persona 5.

I also like the fact that there's a boat this time around.  They've really done a good job so far of bringing up the nostalgia from DQII from the story to even the soundtrack.

• Like 1

The demo is really fun so far! I like the style of the game and the characters are lively and interesting. I kind of wish that the time spent on the monster ship was a bit darker though. I get that the game isn't really deep or anything based on the dialogue and style but it feels a little weird to me, when the monsters are acting nice and stuff because they're supposed to hate the builders. I guess there was an execution in the opening cutscene to make up for that though.

The demo is really fun so far! I like the style of the game and the characters are lively and interesting. I kind of wish that the time spent on the monster ship was a bit darker though. I get that the game isn't really deep or anything based on the dialogue and style but it feels a little weird to me, when the monsters are acting nice and stuff because they're supposed to hate the builders. I guess there was an execution in the opening cutscene to make up for that though.
And a dead body on the beach!

It's pretty cool. I didn't play too much since I knew I'd be doing it all over again in a few days.

It's pretty cool. I didn't play too much since I knew I'd be doing it all over again in a few days.
Ditto. Once it said my progress wouldn't be saved, I tuned out & gave it to my son to play. I played the first game's demo probably 4 full times before it came out and then when I went to play this June I was still so burned out not wanting to do that again.

I still got to get around to playing the demo and beating the 1st one but it did make the decision of what I wanted for my birthday a no brainer,which is unusual since almost nothing that interests me comes out around my birthday.

• Like 1

I still got to get around to playing the demo and beating the 1st one but it did make the decision of what I wanted for my birthday a no brainer,which is unusual since almost nothing that interests me comes out around my birthday.
I just committed to DQB1 this June and actually beat it in some 3-4 hours/day playing over a couple weeks. I'm surprised that I enjoyed it so much after being ho-hum about it for 3 years.

One of my biggest issues with the first game was that the entire game was pretty much just doing what people tell you to do. It feels more like work than a game, and kind of like just following one long tutorial.

Does it seem like they did anything to remedy that this time around? I might be the only person who was turned off by that (though not enough to give up the game, and the final chapter was a minor improvement).

I enjoy the quality of life improvements of Builders 2.

The fact that you can pick up items now instead of having to destroy them to re-place them? Fantastic!
Even better that you can position the items in your hand before you re-place them. Great for things like stairs.

I like the visual indicator of blocks to tell you how broken they are.
I also like that the hammer is infinite now. No more having to craft more.

Biggest boon to me is in Builders 2, if you use the L1/R1 buttons to select the spot where the block will go, as long as you're holding them, you won't fall off the surface of current plane that you're on. I'm 99% certain that wasn't the case in the first game, but It's really nice here when you're building high objects and don't want to fall far.

I also like how they handled fall damage this time with a visual/sound indicator that you land harder the closer you get to taking it. I haven't actually taken any yet so I don't know what the threshold is, if there even is one.

To add on, first person mode is fantastic as well. You're able to dig straight down in first person whereas you can't in third person. In the Demo the ceiling seems to be about 50 blocks high as well.

2 hours ago, Bururian said:

I enjoy the quality of life improvements of Builders 2.

The fact that you can pick up items now instead of having to destroy them to re-place them? Fantastic!
Even better that you can position the items in your hand before you re-place them. Great for things like stairs.

I like the visual indicator of blocks to tell you how broken they are.
I also like that the hammer is infinite now. No more having to craft more.

Biggest boon to me is in Builders 2, if you use the L1/R1 buttons to select the spot where the block will go, as long as you're holding them, you won't fall off the surface of current plane that you're on. I'm 99% certain that wasn't the case in the first game, but It's really nice here when you're building high objects and don't want to fall far.

I also like how they handled fall damage this time with a visual/sound indicator that you land harder the closer you get to taking it. I haven't actually taken any yet so I don't know what the threshold is, if there even is one.

Are weapons also infinite? I notice they get assigned to a specific button right next to the hammer in the UI. I didn't realize the hammer was infinite and didn't think to check at PAX.

32 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Are weapons also infinite? I notice they get assigned to a specific button right next to the hammer in the UI. I didn't realize the hammer was infinite and didn't think to check at PAX.

It doesn't appear to degrade in the demo. I'm not sure on Malroth's weapons though as you only give him one thing in the demo.

• Like 1

Ok, so I'm a little bummed out now that I tried the demo, and it goes right back to the post I made earlier.

So basically, the entire demo is a tutorial. Now I'm afraid that this gets back into my feared territory of "the entire game being a tutorial", since I never once had the option to just go out and do stuff. That said though, it's hard to conclude anything from the demo, because it literally ends before you even get to actually build anything. You get to patch up a small room with blocks that you find, and you are given a bunch of blocks to repair some torches, but that's the closest you get.
You don't get to create new blocks or tools, and you don't get to dig into anything other than sand. If they want to sell the game, this demo is a really bad way of doing so. The game is call Dragon Quest Builders, not Dragon Quest People Talking A Lot.

I like the setting, I like the characters, and I really like the dialogue. But I don't like being forced to just click my way through oceans of dialogue, instead of playing a game. Most of it just trying to teach you stuff anyone who's ever played a video game would be able to figure out if they were given just half a minute to play around with the controls (and it doesn't even tell you some of the more useful, slightly more obscure stuff, like adjusting the height of blocks you position, which I remembered from DQB1).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I think it's safe to say that the demo literally rocked my world.

Edited by hawkeye77o4

Holy crap!  That's some scary times right there!