YangustheLegendaryBandit

Sakurai on the Hero’s inclusion for Smash Bros. Ultimate

This video popped up on my YouTube feed from GameXplain. It’s a short video with some info on the Hero’s inclusion to Smash and some development background information.

(Also there’s some talks on Banjo-Kazooie on their inclusion but SHHHHH this is a DQ fan site.)

• Like 1

Here's where the source for the GameInformer video is from.

Again, thanks to @japaneseswitch for the supporting this translation. Check out their page for news about Nintendo straight from Japan.

This is Sakurai column 582 titled, "The Hero Joins the Battle! Banjo and Kazooie also Join the Battle!"

D9_2HEYUIAAxaJy.jpg

Starting off, he discusses Hero. The day has finally come when Sakurai could work on Dragon Quest. Thinking about Dragon Quest, Sakurai wanted to include the legendary Command Prompt.
D9_5uo1VAAAyuBo.jpg

Sakurai decided that the command window would appear and have random spells and attacks that could be chosen. Then he decided to add a MP system as well.D9_63BDUcAA9mNM.png

(Sorry for small picture, it's from the column)

There is actually a restriction on which DQ protagonists can fight with each other, but Smash was given special permission. (DQ VIII was a request from Western fans)D9_78IOUYAATqMg.png

Reviewing the history of the DQ series, Sakurai felt nervous about including such a legendary series. He decided that the Final Smash would have past characters from DQ to showcase the series.D9_9DeMVUAAgRBN.jpg

The decision to add voice acting was made afterwards. At the start of development, it was planned to have The Hero silent as typical in DQ. However, with DQ XI S, SE added voice actors, so the plans were changed. So other Heroes will have voice actors and they will be announced later.

D9_9pelUEAEEgnD.jpg

Edited by Dakhil
  • Like 1

Oh wow, so each hero is going to have a different voice actor.  Thats neat.

• Like 1

Seems like 1 halfway decent voice actor could knock out 4 different heroes' voices in about an hour, tops.

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Seems like 1 halfway decent voice actor could knock out 4 different heroes' voices in about an hour, tops.

I mean, Xander Mobus is both the Announcer and Joker in Ultimate.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

By the sounds of it the voice for the Luminary in Smash (going off the E3 trailer) is the same one from the Japanese trailers for DQ11 S.

I’m guessing like Cloud the heroes will retain their Japanese voice actors. It won’t be as noticeable since the heroes will probably only have grunts and cries (whereas Cloud has fully voiced lines), but still, I’m guessing they’ll keep the JP voices. Maybe I’ll be wrong, but Cloud keeping his JP voice in the English release makes me think Square Enix has a hand in that decision.

We’ll see if we end up with the same music situation FF7 has in Smash with a whopping 2 songs to pick from for the Dragon Quest stage.

There is actually less voice acting in the English version.

In the Japanese version of the trailer, you can here the hero saying the names of the spells he uses.  They removed that from the US version.  

Yep. It’s just like how they removed Mewtwo’s Japanese voiced lines in the English dub, causing him to only have 17 lines versus the 20 he’s supposed to have.

Bayonetta is a strange case too. In the Japanese dub short hair Bayo has the JP voice, but long hair Bayo still uses the English voice. Found that out when messing with options in Ultimate. Honestly I’d be cool with it being like that in the English dub.

Or better yet, a setting to change individual voices just so I can have Roy’s Japanese voice back. No offense to his new English VA (who does a damn good job sounding like him), but I miss Roy’s JP voice in the English dub.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

On 7/10/2019 at 8:45 AM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Yep. It’s just like how they removed Mewtwo’s Japanese voiced lines in the English dub, causing him to only have 17 lines versus the 20 he’s supposed to have.

Bayonetta is a strange case too. In the Japanese dub short hair Bayo has the JP voice, but long hair Bayo still uses the English voice. Found that out when messing with options in Ultimate. Honestly I’d be cool with it being like that in the English dub.

Or better yet, a setting to change individual voices just so I can have Roy’s Japanese voice back. No offense to his new English VA (who does a damn good job sounding like him), but I miss Roy’s JP voice in the English dub.

I have a bit of a theory.

It’s a Long shot, but I’m kinda hoping there’s still a chance there might be some extra alts. It just seems weird that Sakurai would say each Hero has their own VA but can’t announce them yet. I mean it could just be things aren’t finalized yet or they want until they have everything ready to show off., but if there were more heroes repped it would make sense to wait until the release. I don’t know, I’m just stubbornly optimistic they’d throw in some female alts. Like Joker got a few unique bells and whistles, I want to think Hero has a couple of surprises yet to be revealed.

Another, more plausible theory, maybe the lack of English voice work is because they didn’t want to involve any outside work until the trailer reveal to avoid leaks. Though, I wouldn’t make any bets.

This is a fun video about Hero in Smash. I hadn't watched this series before but I was looking forward to the Hero video

• Like 1

@DrippySlimeStar  that's not just a hero in smash video.  That's a love note of thanks to the overall general contributions of Dragon Quest.  Mentioning things in ways even I haven't, nor have heard before (nor did I know Enix was a real-estate company prior to getting into videogames.  I knew they predated the gaming industry by some years and the contest they held for game developers that Horii won, leading to Dragon Quest, leading to probably the widest and most widespread felt genre defining game series that virtually never gets credit for its contributions in the West.

Really cool video.  Thanks for the link.

• Like 1

Actually Yuji Horii didn't win that contest.  Koichi Nakamura did.  Horii was runner up.

Nakamura would later be one of the cocreators of the franchise, serving as director on DQ1-4.  He was also the founder of Chun soft.

• Like 1