Sign in to follow this  
RyuKisargi

Ryu's / Matt's Wax Rhapsodic - The current state of RPGs.

E3 this year was mindboggling.

I'm sitting here with a glass of vodka, about to take a nap, and I'm thinking.

"Damn, I'm glad I got back into gaming."

While I only have a Switch, we're seeing a massive surge of love. Games from Trials of Mana, Dragon Quest XI S, a Link's Awakening remake, and so much more?

Where in the hell can we go from here? 

Right now we're getting remakes (Trials of Mana), revamps (Dragon Quest S), compilations (Collection of Mana), ports (Ni no Kini, Romancing Saga 3), long-awaited releases (PSO2PSO2PSO2PSO2PSO2PSO2HUMARFOREVERMASTERRACE), and in general? 

It's looking like a fanboy's wet dream out there. My wallet is not ready! YEAR OF THE RAMEN!

It makes me wonder. What about the "new" RPGs? What are they going to look like? What is Baldur's Gate 3 going to bring us? What abo... hell, I can only think of Baldur's Gate, Ignacia, you're gonna have to remind me of other stuff coming out further. There's a neat retro-ish XB1 game coming but I can't think of it. Some arcade-looking pencil-dealie.

With the seemingly awesome quality of all these ports, what about the "new" games? Are we going to be knocked the #$*! out by BOTW2? What about Diablo 4? Or god willing anytime soon, Dragon Quest 12?

The bar is high. Too high. I worry for the future.

I've been playing older games recently but the future looks bright as well. I'm kind of in the opposite situation where I feel like I'll be falling out of gaming soon since I'll be starting to think about having kids and buying a house...yada, yada, yada, getting old sucks. I'm sure gaming will always be a part of my life but it'll be weird with it being less of a focus for me.

With the seemingly awesome quality of all these ports, what about the "new" games?

While I'm 95% in agreement with you, the stupid Mana collection is straight up SNES-rom port. Looks way lazy!

But I might finally try NNK1 now (enjoyed a dozen hours of the turn-based DS version).

Looking forward to getting Grandia I & II although they look straight-up porty, no remaster.

Rune Factory is back and will consume hundreds of hours with its remake of 4 and new 5!

Plus the lot you mentioned, yes, it's a good time to be a Switch owner.

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

the stupid Mana collection is straight up SNES-rom port.

That may be true, but it’s the first time Square Enix has officially released Seiken Densetsu 3 in the west after 20+ years. It may be a port, but the fact Square Enix fully translated the game AND released it despite the fact they also announced its remake was coming to the west the exact same day is pretty damn awesome.

• Like 1

I believe the reason we’re getting so many ports on the Switch, especially of RPGs, is because it’s a popular system but not powerful enough for most AAA, big-budget games. The collective response to the port of Witcher 3 being, “what black magic are they using to run this thing?” kind of shows what the Switch can handle. But because it’s so popular, publishers still want a piece of the pie so they pump out lots of ports, no matter how little people want them (Elder Scrolls Blades and that pocket version of Final Fantasy XV).

The more I think about the Collection of Mana, the more I get salty. Those should be $7 games on Virtual Console, not a $40 retail package. I like the Switch well enough but the Wii U’s robust VC library is ensuring it stays plugged in for a long time.

• Like 1

My whole point was this though:

With what we're getting now in terms of quality, how is the industry going to further evolve the RPG genre?

My whole point was this though:

With what we're getting now in terms of quality, how is the industry going to further evolve the RPG genre?
They won't. It's all ports and remakes.

17 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

They won't. It's all ports and remakes.

Just like the movies :P

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Woodus said:

We’ll know we’re in trouble when they start getting to be as bad as Disney live action remakes.

We’ll know we’re in trouble when they start getting to be as bad as Disney live action remakes.
True. Half surprised that new DQV movie isn't live action.

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Somehow they’ve all managed to get increasingly more incompetent then the last one, so I’m genuinely concerned the Mulan film will be a living nightmare. Luckily, it looks like they’ve made some changes in characters based on the cast list on Wikipedia and they were merciful enough to scrap the “white European love interest” thing they were supposedly going to do at one point.

13 hours ago, eal said:

Somehow they’ve all managed to get increasingly more incompetent then the last one, so I’m genuinely concerned the Mulan film will be a living nightmare. Luckily, it looks like they’ve made some changes in characters based on the cast list on Wikipedia and they were merciful enough to scrap the “white European love interest” thing they were supposedly going to do at one point.

I will say I went into Aladdin expecting a total train wreck, but we were all pleasantly surprised with it and quite enjoyed it. Though saying that I don't know if i have any desire to see Dumbo or Lion King remakes

6 minutes ago, Woodus said:

I will say I went into Aladdin expecting a total train wreck, but we were all pleasantly surprised with it and quite enjoyed it. Though saying that I don't know if i have any desire to see Dumbo or Lion King remakes

I can’t bring myself to wanting to see the Aladdin remake. Call it nostalgia or whatever you want, but I think the original is one of those real top notch quality Disney movies. Watching the trailers for the remake gave me a “This was phoned in,” vibe.

Now if Disney wanted to try and do more original sequel-esque movies, that would be fine. I thought the Christopher Robin movie was good. A little slow in some places, but it presented a new idea with the characters. Mary Poppin Returns, while certainly far from being a great movie, it did have a share of good and creative moments. And I appreciate how the vocal music tries to re-create the style of the Sherman Brothers.

What the latter did during the animated portion was my favorite part of the film. God, it made me wish Disney would do a 2D animated film again. At least their TV animated work has been really good the last few years.

15 hours ago, Woodus said:

I miss original ideas. Everything is a sequel or reboot nowadays.