Marrowfrost

Marrow's DQ9 Progress

I'm going to make an attempt to actually beat this game because I've only beaten it once and I kind of want to try playing it without giving up halfway? Idek, I'm replaying DQ7 since I finally have my own copy of it but I'm taking a break from it so eh. Only reason being my sister wants to play more DQ games and she's actually trying to play DQ4 by herself (long story short I ended up beating the game on accident for her), and I do plan on getting a copy of DQ9 for her so she can play it for herself (she'll probably beat DQ4 before then though). So this is kind of going to be a log for my game progress as I don't think I saw any other threads for general game progress on here and to keep up motivation to keep playing the game while taking brief breaks from it. And so I can feel productive. I won't be surprised if I manage to finish the game before the end of July, but we'll see. I'll just edit this every so often for the team and stats of each member, me and my sister might play multiplayer from time to time if I manage to get the game (I have the money for it atm, I just can't find it).

Current team (put under spoilers because it will be a lot):

Spoiler

Protagonist ~ Name: Reiki ~ Male ~ Class: Minstrel

Stats: (will be added once I get to that point)

Skill Points: ^

Currently I'm just slogging through the intro and making my way towards actual combat, hoping to finish it sometime tomorrow as I'm in a writer's block and artist's block atm. (I'd work on my stories more but I'm just not feeling inspiration atm, and my small motivation for working on my Miitopia fanfic is because I was very disappointed by the lack of Miitopia fanfictions outside of tumblr. Working on a contest entry involving Dragon Quest, but otherwise, not really motivated.)

Anyways let's just hope I succeed in actually beating the game for once

• Like 1

There's the What RPG are you playing thread that's been going for years that some of us post what we're up to, but I've done plenty of posts like this before too. Enjoy the greatness that is DQ9!

• Like 1

I'm now at the part where the hero and Ivor try to clear the rockslide, meaning actual combat. At the moment I'm just beating up random monsters in the area to level up to at least around level 4, since I don't want to overlevel too much. Currently I'm planning on saving enough money for a soldier's sword and putting his skill points towards shields as being able to use shields in any class at a later point will be nice.

I have no current plan for what vocation I plan to put my main hero into, but gladiator or armamentalist (the latter probably for a brief amount of time though) does sound nice, though I might make another character into a gladiator.

Since you're already thinking so far ahead, look into the permanent bonus you get for maxing out the class specific skill line for Paladin! I belive it was something like +80 DEF of HP. It was worth it!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Since you're already thinking so far ahead, look into the permanent bonus you get for maxing out the class specific skill line for Paladin! I belive it was something like +80 DEF of HP. It was worth it!

I'll have to look into it once I unlock Paladin, then! The amount of defense earned from the class specific line does sound nice to have in the future.

I'm close to getting to Stornway, and I've already beaten the Hexagoon. Currently Reiki (main hero) is at level 8 because I had too much fun slapping around the weak monsters in the Hexagon, to say the least. At the moment I have 9 skill points in shields, and have around 884 gold, which will probably head towards better upgrades once I reach Stornway. For my party I do plan on having a Mage and Priest in the party, I'm leaning towards having a Warrior but I'm either or at the moment.

• Like 1

I finally got around to playing some more of this game, and I managed to get to Stornway, create my companions, and start grinding them up so they don't die as often :') This is the current set up for the team (in spoilers):

Spoiler

Reiki - Lvl 12 - Minstrel

Equipment: Rapier, Scale shield, Leather hat, Chain mail, Leather gauntlets, Celestial stockings, Leather shoes, Gold ring

Skill points: Sword: 0, Whip: 0, Fan: 0, Shield: 18, Litheness: 0

Abilities/Spells: Blockenspiel, Defending Champion / Heal, Crack, Evac, Woosh

Kiba - Lvl 11 - Priest

Equipment: Wizard's staff, Scale shield, Leather hat, Chain mail, Cotton gloves, Cotton trousers, Leather shoes

Skill points: Spear: 0, Wand: 0, Staff: 0, Shield: 0, Faith: 15

Abilities/Spells: Divination / Heal, Squelch, Snooze, Buff, Cock-a-doodle-doo

Aeroki - Lvl 11 - Mage

Equipment: Thorn whip, Scale shield, Leather hat, Leather dress, Cotton gloves, Cotton trousers, Leather shoes

Skill points: Wand: 0, Knife: 0, Whip: 0, Shield: 0, Spellcraft: 15

Abilities/Spells: Wizard Ward / Frizz, Acceleratle, Crack, Sap, Evac, Bang

Winter - Lvl 11 - Warrior

Equipment: Divine dagger, Scale shield, Leather hat, Chaim mail, Leather gauntlets, Cotton trousers, Leather shoes

Skill points: Sword: 0, Spear: 0, Knife: 0, Shield: 0, Courage: 15

Abilities/Spells: Whipping Boy / None

At the moment I'm grinding in the ruins of Brigadoom despite not fighting the Wight Knight yet. Honestly I'm kind of just grinding for gold if that makes sense? Kind of just trying to build up a small stash of gold for now. As well as that I'm mainly focusing on fully completing the class specific skill sets for each of my characters (except for Reiki as I might transfer him to a class that might not allow use of shields) as the bonuses are quite nice, more specifically the 100+ bonuses of either Magical Might or Magical Mending for Mage and Priest respectfully. Courage is nice for the moment as it gives use of Whipping Boy early on so that way I don't have to backtrack when I aim to get the Paladin class later on since I never really use the Warrior or Mage classes in this game as much as I should tbh. As for why I equipped Winter with a divine dagger, it simply makes it easier to take out some of the monsters nearby where I'm grinding.