Dragon's Den Official DQ Podcast

I have a suggestion.  One that's been percolating in my brain for a good 6 months now.  As many of you know, I've been a staff member over at RPGamer for almost a year now.  It's fun, it's sometimes a lot of work, it's like any volunteer thing: pluses and minuses.  One big plus has been doing podcasts over there for the past year.  I have no one that I regularly speak to IRL that plays RPGs.  Before I started listening to a lot of podcasts the past 2 years, there's a boatload of game names and character names I've never heard spoken aloud before that now I'm finding rolling off my tongue (Shin Megami Tensei, Atelier _______, etc.).  Whatever, I'm getting off topic.  The point is, I'm loving podcasting.

Here's the thing: is there a DQ podcast out there that's done by long-time DQ fans?  I know I've chatted with @Woodus and @Liamland and we listen to Puff Puff Hour & a couple others.  But the ones in the past couple years have been from people new to the series.  They're great, but they're playing stuff for the first time and typically playing the newest versions and they've left me wanting more reminiscing about the original games and the changes made for remakes and remasters and sequels and the like.  I'd love to hear a podcast by people who've been playing and replaying and chatting about DQ games for decades and knows all the stuff that many of us here at the Den know.  The inside jokes, the annoyances, the fixes, the growth of the series.

Blah blah blah, all this talk, no suggestion yet:

I'd love to host a DQ podcast, by long-time fans.  I'd like to get a fixed format together to slowly work our way through the entire DQ series over the course of a few years.  Maybe we'd record an episode every month or two, maybe longer/shorter depending on people's schedules.  I've got the basic outline of a show, one I'd love to stick to so we don't forget things episode to episode, but of course be somewhat flexible.  What I've found most interesting about the podcasts I've listened to are the people doing the podcast and their reactions to the games they play.  I don't want a 20 minute plot summary of a game.  I want to hear what my favorite podcasters thought about plot points and what was interesting challenging/what was not.  I want to hear some of insane number-crunching trivia that @ignasia would be able to rattle off, I want to know some of the stories and artwork stuff @Dwaine knows a ton of (or the obscure artist @Sackchief dug up).  I want to hear about the time @Woodus got flown out to play a DQ game early (Joker, right?)  I want to know what @Pendy has experienced with all his trips to Japan and @Liamland too plus all his DQIX multiplayer stories!  I want long-time fans to tell stuff, not just the new guys reading a Wiki and just having experienced it for the first time.

I've got a ton of little thoughts & issues I'll just bullet point below & sit back and just hear from you all over the next couple of days.  I'm in no rush to do this.  I'm about to go on vacation for a month, so it's not anything I'd set up ASAP, I'd like to really flesh out an episode 

Ideas:

• Have a set order to each episode: Staff intros, character intros from selected game (just a couple mins), brief summary (5-10 mins tops), go around the staff and each tell some of things that really impressed them or they loved about the game or annoyed them - all staff jump in and interrupt the hell out of each other to keep the conversation flowing for a good hour at least for an episode, have a round table at the end where we all get 5-10 minutes to tell what we're playing currently so listeners kind of get to know us better.  Sure, these episodes might last 2-3 hours each, but that's fine.
  • Use Skype or Discord to record
  • Hosted on Den
  • A dedicated subforum for this, a specific topic for each show up weeks before we record one where the people that are going to be on start taking notes and any other forum member is free to chime in to remind us of stuff
  • Not necessarily go in game order!  Why not start with DQ1, but then this December let's talk DQXI because some of us will have finished our 2nd time through on DQXIS version.
  • Not just cover main games, let's do DQM and Joker and DQ Swords
  • Not just do main games first: DQ1, DQ Swords, DQ5, Joker 2, DQXI, ...
  • Pick something like First Monday of the month at 9pm EST or 9pm Central time so everyone can plan and likely be free of noise and other responsibilities 

Limitations:

• Would need someone to record the podcast & do light audio work/mixing.  I think I'd be able to get some of the mixing stuff down eventually, just some musical transitions mainly, nothing heavy.  But with a longer podcast, it'd be good to stop and save recordings every so often and they'd need to be mixed together.
  • How do you get a podcast on iTunes...?
  • Are there enough people interested in talking?

So, it's now 3am here and this idea has kept me up a great part of the night. I'd love to hear from you all good or bad about this and if it's even feasible!

• Like 2

Love the idea. I've been talking with you and Woodus about doing a DQ podcast for awhile, particularly one hosted by long-time fans. I'd love to help host if you're interested.

• Like 1
Love the idea. I've been talking with you and Woodus about doing a DQ podcast for awhile, particularly one hosted by long-time fans. I'd love to help host if you're interested.
100% yes!

Just a suggestion, a podcast doesn’t necessarily need to go up on iTunes. It’s more convenient for sure, but I’ve listened to podcasts on, say, YouTube, where they use a static image or gameplay or a 5 second loop of video and you’re expected to open up another tab and go about your day while listening to the podcast. Sometimes, people will throw them up on Google Drive or somewhere else to download. So there are more options than just iTunes.

As for a content suggestion, I think it would be cool if you could grab a guest whose first game was whichever one you highlight. So if it’s about Dragon Quest III you can get a guest whose first Dragon Quest game was III and they can talk about what drew them to the series and what they liked about that game and what about it drew them back.

Edited by eal
  • Like 1

Sounds like a great idea, I will do what I can to help. :)

33 minutes ago, eal said:

Just a suggestion, a podcast doesn’t necessarily need to go up on iTunes. It’s more convenient for sure, but I’ve listened to podcasts on, say, YouTube, where they use a static image or gameplay or a 5 second loop of video and you’re expected to open up another tab and go about your day while listening to the podcast. Sometimes, people will throw them up on Google Drive or somewhere else to download. So there are more options than just iTunes.

You could probably do both, for more exposure.

Edited by Liamland

You could probably do both, for more exposure.
Ideally, yes. Don't mind if Woodus allows it, having it here to download as an mp3 or whatever, but so many other random podcast apps use iTunes indexing that I'd want that too.
As for a content suggestion, I think it would be cool if you could grab a guest whose first game was whichever one you highlight. So if it’s about Dragon Quest III you can get a guest whose first Dragon Quest game was III and they can talk about what drew them to the series and what they liked about that game and what about it drew them back.
I really like the idea of having people on for games they started with, yes. I don't just want this to be a "Hey it's a podcast about Dragon Quest 7" as much as about how awesome 7 is and how it affected people and how much it's loved by part of the fan base. There's enough informational stuff out there, I want people's stories and feeling as much as anything!
12 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:
4 hours ago, eal said:

I really like the idea of having people on for games they started with, yes. I don't just want this to be a "Hey it's a podcast about Dragon Quest 7" as much as about how awesome 7 is and how it affected people and how much it's loved by part of the fan base. There's enough informational stuff out there, I want people's stories and feeling as much as anything!

The pool for people that are active here that started with, say, DQMJ2 might be limited, so reaching out to the wider community like the Dragon Quest subreddit, social media, and the Dragon Quest Wiki for guests is a good way to find people who started with more obscure titles.

• Like 1

Yeah, that sounds super fun. I'm way better on the mic than I used to be...well, I was anyway.

iTunes I'm not sure about, but you can pretty much toss anything up on Spotify.

I’m completely behind this.  PuffPuff and DQFM are great, but having a podcast run by series veterans would be amazing as well.  I would really like to see you start a new podcast, it’d be fantastic I’m sure. I’d be sure to help promote it best I can if you go through with it.

18 hours ago, eal said:

The pool for people that are active here that started with, say, DQMJ2 might be limited, so reaching out to the wider community like the Dragon Quest subreddit, social media, and the Dragon Quest Wiki for guests is a good way to find people who started with more obscure titles.

Ehhh... I was looking to keep this a little more in-house.  Not really looking for more than 4-8 or so regulars, with the occasional guest if we need one.  Denzians mostly, as I want this to be a Dragon's Den DQ Veteran podcast.  I know there are tons of others out there all over, but I want to get podcasts sketched out on the forums and get an idea of where we're going with each episode well in advance, not just be pulling people in from wherever.

• 1 month later...

This sounds awesome. Reminds me of the podcasts put out by the Zelda Universe forums back in the day. It was a real community project.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

Just a top secret little post. Episode 1 is recorded! Just have some editing/hosting details to work out and it'll be slime to give it a listen! fb9b2afd544f256cfaabf57eb1708421.jpg

Looking forward to it! It'll be great to hear some series veteran's opinions.

It was really fun to record again. Looking forward to future episodes.

@Dwaine did an amazing job on the art for the podcast!

Edited by Liamland
  • Like 2
Awesome.  I can't wait to listen to this.
If you guys ever want me on the show let me know 
Eventually we'd love to have every Denizen on who'd like to, but realistically it'll be a slow process. Two busy guys with wives and kids working full-time & commuting a bunch. Probably 2-4 weeks between episodes & we do have the next couple planned. But yes, keep the interest level up!

I would love to participate one day even if its jsut to talk about my personal feelings on certain games. But I understand if you're looking for more for people who have deep knowledge on the history of the series and its US development like Dwaine, etc.

• Like 1
I would love to participate one day even if its jsut to talk about my personal feelings on certain games. But I understand if you're looking for more for people who have deep knowledge on the history of the series and its US development like Dwaine, etc.

Nope. All I know about the history of the games could fit it one post by ignasia! We're looking for all Denizens with passion!

(a good mic and exciting attitude help)

A Dragon Den podcast sounds right up my alley, especially if I want to kill time.

I think it would also be a good idea (from time to time) to have a segment where a Denizen talks about how they first got exposed to the Dragon Quest series as well as express opinions of the Dragon Quest games they've played so far, including their first Dragon Quest game.

But that's just a thought that popped in my head.

• Like 1
A Dragon Den podcast sounds right up my alley, especially if I want to kill time.

I think it would also be a good idea (from time to time) to have a segment where a Denizen talks about how they first got exposed to the Dragon Quest series as well as express opinions of the Dragon Quest games they've played so far, including their first Dragon Quest game.

But that's just a thought that popped in my head.
That's part of the main idea, each episode will feature a different Denizen & game/topic. Episode 2 could be Woodus & Dragon Quest I. The episode would basically be 50% a Q&A with that person and 50% getting in depth with our memories of that specific game.
That's part of the main idea, each episode will feature a different Denizen & game/topic. Episode 2 could be Woodus & Dragon Quest I. The episode would basically be 50% a Q&A with that person and 50% getting in depth with our memories of that specific game.
That's a cool idea. It'll be nice to have a pocast based around this community. Definitely would be opening to joining in sometime.

• Like 1

I request to talk about Dragon Quest IX and rant about the game. Liamland will surely banish me after that episode.

Spoiler

Just to be clear, I’m joking. DQ9 really is my least favorite DQ main series game, but the “hate,” is just over-exaggeration on my part. It’s a good game, it’s just not my favorite from the series.

• Like 1