Sign in to follow this  
Plattym3

The Disrespect is REAL

I'm going to start this off with a huge WTF!?

Looking up the hero of Dragon Quest 6, he's not in the freaking sprite sheet:

heroes.png

Not there. At all, all the other fools are, but no hero.  Went looking for Sprite sheets for DQVI DS, but apparently no one ever pulled them. Damn shame.

I love you man, but you're going to have to face the music.  Amos is not the hero.  I know, I know, it's hard to hear it, but his character sheet used a generic Guardsman model.

Though probably in the DS version he's included, as they removed that model from all over guardsmen, using the more traditional soldier from earlier games instead.

That’s what happens when you insult Hobo Link, Platty.

Like Iggy said though, Amos shares the same sprite as other characters in the original release of VI. It wasn’t until the remake that he gained a unique look and became the only character in that armor.

It’s a shame his artwork for the remake wasn’t included in the DQ artbook. Amos seems to be one of those DQ characters who is forgotten by the people behind the series and by players. Sort of like Tuppence in DQ5.

1 hour ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

That’s what happens when you insult Hobo Link, Platty.

Like Iggy said though, Amos shares the same sprite as other characters in the original release of VI. It wasn’t until the remake that he gained a unique look and became the only character in that armor.

It’s a shame his artwork for the remake wasn’t included in the DQ artbook. Amos seems to be one of those DQ characters who is forgotten by the people behind the series and by players. Sort of like Tuppence in DQ5.

Tu Who? :laugh:

4 hours ago, ignasia said:

I love you man, but you're going to have to face the music.  Amos is not the hero.  I know, I know, it's hard to hear it, but his character sheet used a generic Guardsman model.

Poor guy had an NPC sprite? Oh man. It's been 15+ years since I played that game, I have zero recollection of that version emoji848.pngemoji53.pngemoji853.png

3 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Tu Who? :laugh:

Exactly. Even Sancho gets more respect then Tuppence! Haha

40 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Exactly. Even Sancho gets more respect then Tuppence! Haha

Huh?  Whose Tuppence?  I kid, I kid

48 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Poor guy had an NPC sprite? Oh man. It's been 15+ years since I played that game, I have zero recollection of that version emoji848.pngemoji53.pngemoji853.png

I get the impression Amos was an afterthought.  Towards the end of production, maybe an idea someone had, they had some extra time, and Horii thought it would be a good idea, but couldn't work out a proper sprite within the timeframe left, so they picked a model similar to his play style.  He is definitely an underused character, but at least his party chat is golden.

4 minutes ago, ignasia said:

Huh?  Whose Tuppence?  I kid, I kid

I get the impression Amos was an afterthought.  Towards the end of production, maybe an idea someone had, they had some extra time, and Horii thought it would be a good idea, but couldn't work out a proper sprite within the timeframe left, so they picked a model similar to his play style.  He is definitely an underused character, but at least his party chat is golden.

Oh yes, absolutely! Amos has the best party chat in DQ6 by far. So many funny lines.

Oh yes, absolutely! Amos has the best party chat in DQ6 by far. So many funny lines.
Thus, he's my hero!

7 hours ago, Plattym3 said:
7 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Thus, he's my hero!

Saving that game from being boring would make anyone a hero.

A true hero is someone who does the work not for recognition and glory, but because it is good and just. 

Heh, I pick Amos up IMMEDIATELY when he becomes available in VI and he at that point never leaves my party :P

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 10:20 PM, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Hmm...hard to say.  Carver is priceless.  Amos is golden.  I'd say they're about equal.

1 hour ago, Enclave said:

Heh, I pick Amos up IMMEDIATELY when he becomes available in VI and he at that point never leaves my party :P

I’m glad to see so many of us are in the same boat when it comes to Amos. Clearly he is near and dear to the hearts of some players. Ol’ Amos would be happy to hear that.

• Like 1

I tend to get Amos almost immediately as soon as I get the chance and he never leaves my party. :P Half the time he's in my main party line up for battling and class grinding, he's a very good party member with good party chat as well.

• Like 1