So no one brought this up but it looks like there is a scene from DQV lumped in with revisiting old worlds or something along those lines. Any ideas on whether this would be story driven or just fan service. Also it shows it in 2D mode as opposed to 3D. Think it might be regulated to just that mode or will we get to see past worlds in fully realized 3D?

There are like 4 different scenarios in each previous game.  I think they showed the scene in Rodrigo's house with multiple Rodrigo's, that I think is a new scenario, but I don't know, I've never seen a playthrough show the full set of scenarios that wasn't completely in Japanese (unless Woodus has it, but I haven't seen all of Woodus' let's play...I need to find it).

That would just be part of the normal shindig of the various scenarios that play out in the other worlds.

From what I understand it's a mixture of fan service and story driven (as in it takes place in between elements of the actual game that world takes part in, and is like a "wo, so this happened in between and because of the hero of DQ11 coming in at that point the tragedy was averted, and so the hero of that particular world is able to complete their quest unabated," or some such.  Of course it feels a little fan service-oriented, much like Legacy Bosses in DQ9, but at least there's tie-ins to the actual storylines of the original games, or from what I've read from sites for the scenarios I've read about, that's what they read like.

The 2D was standard in the original 3DS release (for DQV that is).  Those particular scenarios all had their own specific graphics modes in the 3DS, but in the Switch they'll all be in 2D.  Which is kind of cool since it means we get to experience 7, 8, 9, and 10 in 2D.  The 3DS also used the same or similar OST remixes to the versions utilized.  Like 7's world seems to use the 3DS renditions.  8 uses the original midi renditions of the original PS2.  The games that used SNES graphics use OST's similar to those versions, and the NES to the NES versions.  HOWEVER, in this version, it's interesting, all past DQ games use not just 2D (guessing both 8-bit and 16-bit) graphics, but all of them seem to use 8-bit renditions of their midi tracks.

3DS -> Switch

DQ1 = NES -> ? (could be NES, could be upgraded to 16-bit, I'm betting they keep it NES graphics)
DQ2 = NES -> ? (could be NES, could be upgraded to 16-bit. I'm also betting they keep it NES)
DQ3 = SNES -> ? (I'd wager SNES still)
DQ4 = NES -> ? (I think they'll keep it NES, but this time they might go for SNES rebuilds)
DQ5 = SNES -> SNES
DQ6 = SNES -> ? (probably SNES still)

DQ7 = 3DS graphics system (which is an upgraded DQ7 3DS) -> ? (probably SNES rebuild)
DQ8 = PS2 graphics system -> SNES rebuild (only one of two shown so far)
DQ9 = 3DS graphics system -> ? (I'll assume SNES)
DQ10 = DQ10 3DS graphics downscaled -> ? (I'll assume SNES)

Unfortunately they did screw up and state all the past episodes are done in 8-bit.  Clearly that isn't true given DQ's 5 and 8, but it is really cool seeing 8 in SNES graphics with 8-bit music.

23 hours ago, ignasia said:

There are like 4 different scenarios in each previous game.  I think they showed the scene in Rodrigo's house with multiple Rodrigo's, that I think is a new scenario, but I don't know, I've never seen a playthrough show the full set of scenarios that wasn't completely in Japanese (unless Woodus has it, but I haven't seen all of Woodus' let's play...I need to find it).

That would just be part of the normal shindig of the various scenarios that play out in the other worlds.

From what I understand it's a mixture of fan service and story driven (as in it takes place in between elements of the actual game that world takes part in, and is like a "wo, so this happened in between and because of the hero of DQ11 coming in at that point the tragedy was averted, and so the hero of that particular world is able to complete their quest unabated," or some such.  Of course it feels a little fan service-oriented, much like Legacy Bosses in DQ9, but at least there's tie-ins to the actual storylines of the original games, or from what I've read from sites for the scenarios I've read about, that's what they read like.

The 2D was standard in the original 3DS release (for DQV that is).  Those particular scenarios all had their own specific graphics modes in the 3DS, but in the Switch they'll all be in 2D.  Which is kind of cool since it means we get to experience 7, 8, 9, and 10 in 2D.  The 3DS also used the same or similar OST remixes to the versions utilized.  Like 7's world seems to use the 3DS renditions.  8 uses the original midi renditions of the original PS2.  The games that used SNES graphics use OST's similar to those versions, and the NES to the NES versions.  HOWEVER, in this version, it's interesting, all past DQ games use not just 2D (guessing both 8-bit and 16-bit) graphics, but all of them seem to use 8-bit renditions of their midi tracks.

3DS -> Switch

DQ1 = NES -> ? (could be NES, could be upgraded to 16-bit, I'm betting they keep it NES graphics)
DQ2 = NES -> ? (could be NES, could be upgraded to 16-bit. I'm also betting they keep it NES)
DQ3 = SNES -> ? (I'd wager SNES still)
DQ4 = NES -> ? (I think they'll keep it NES, but this time they might go for SNES rebuilds)
DQ5 = SNES -> SNES
DQ6 = SNES -> ? (probably SNES still)

DQ7 = 3DS graphics system (which is an upgraded DQ7 3DS) -> ? (probably SNES rebuild)
DQ8 = PS2 graphics system -> SNES rebuild (only one of two shown so far)
DQ9 = 3DS graphics system -> ? (I'll assume SNES)
DQ10 = DQ10 3DS graphics downscaled -> ? (I'll assume SNES)

Unfortunately they did screw up and state all the past episodes are done in 8-bit.  Clearly that isn't true given DQ's 5 and 8, but it is really cool seeing 8 in SNES graphics with 8-bit music.

For the record, DQX on 3DS has the same graphics as the other versions, as it's not rendered directly on the 3DS hardware - it's streamed from a server/render farm. The only differences are in the GUI layer - that is, menus and such (2D elements), which are rendered on the 3DS on top of the stream, as they're so small they could easily be ruined by compression/artifacting.

On 6/16/2019 at 12:44 AM, ignasia said:

(unless Woodus has it, but I haven't seen all of Woodus' let's play...I need to find it).

I just played thru the PS4, I haven't played thru the 3DS one in Japanese

• Like 1
So no one brought this up but it looks like there is a scene from DQV lumped in with revisiting old worlds or something along those lines. Any ideas on whether this would be story driven or just fan service. Also it shows it in 2D mode as opposed to 3D. Think it might be regulated to just that mode or will we get to see past worlds in fully realized 3D?
Yep. It's what the Japanese have had for almost 2 years now with the 3DS version. They're porting all that 2D and past game visiting stuff over for the Switch version. Not really brought up as it's been said before that it's coming and it's already been out like that in Japan for years. Pretty awesome we're getting it!
6 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

The past worlds are only in 2D. At least that's how it was on the 3DS. I can't see them putting in the effort to remake old game worlds in 3D, even VIII which they highlighted already is in 2D. 

As to your last point, it would do very well in Japan, and retro is kind of a thing here now.  So it's not as far fetched or limiting in resources (plus they can do it with a team the size of Arte Piazza.  They already have the build and basic tilesets, and SE uses a massive database for all assets now, so the workload would be much less than you might think.  It would also give Japanese players (and everyone really) a new way to replay those old classics, and allow them to upscale from there in terms of content due to far less time and effort spent on visuals.  So if they wanted to hire extra people, or bring in other internal teams to just work on new content, that would be much cheaper and easier for them.  Hell they could even bridge those games with DQ11 as well, using other cameo's, maybe even work out a prologue to DQ3, like how Aliahan became sealed off, Ortega's initial quest, and cementing the loose tie-in from 11's true ending.

Seems like a money printing win-win to me, since they could easily use the smallest/cheapest Switch carts, charge much less, and make far more profit per sale in both total amount and % of sale.  Though hey, that's just an idea.

The past worlds in the 3DS are as I listed them.  Only 1~6 are 2D, 16 or 8 bit. 7~10 are 3D, but for the switch are changed to 2D.

Dragon Quest VII:

Dragon Quest VIII (I was wrong about 8's graphics...it's a crossbreed of 8 and 11 3DS' 3D system):

Dragon Quest IX:

Dragon Quest X @Erdrick The Hero yes, I know, but for this it's not streamed, it's fully rendered in-game, so the graphics are a downgraded version of what is streamed on the 3DS system for DQX...which I'm wrong about, it's just 11's 3D system, nothing directly ripped from 10, just remodeled:

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 2