Dakhil

Dragon Quest Heroes Confirmed as Super Smash Bros Ultimate DLC Characters

On 6/18/2019 at 4:53 PM, eal said:

Speaking of, when’s Captain N’s turn to get into Smash?

Honestly I'd like the to see him included too, but I'm guessing he might count more as a property of DiC.  That said though, I'd double the narm charm and add Segata Sanshiro.

Posted (edited)

So Sakurai was talking about the Hero (and Banjo Kazooie) in the latest issue of Famitsu, which you can read about below.

Again, thanks to @japaneseswitch for the supporting this translation. Check out their page for news about Nintendo straight from Japan.

This is Sakurai column 582 titled, "The Hero Joins the Battle! Banjo and Kazooie also Join the Battle!"

D9_2HEYUIAAxaJy.jpg

Starting off, he discusses Hero. The day has finally come when Sakurai could work on Dragon Quest. Thinking about Dragon Quest, Sakurai wanted to include the legendary Command Prompt.
D9_5uo1VAAAyuBo.jpg

Sakurai decided that the command window would appear and have random spells and attacks that could be chosen. Then he decided to add a MP system as well.D9_63BDUcAA9mNM.png

(Sorry for small picture, it's from the column)

There is actually a restriction on which DQ protagonists can fight with each other, but Smash was given special permission. (DQ VIII was a request from Western fans)D9_78IOUYAATqMg.png

Reviewing the history of the DQ series, Sakurai felt nervous about including such a legendary series. He decided that the Final Smash would have past characters from DQ to showcase the series.D9_9DeMVUAAgRBN.jpg

The decision to add voice acting was made afterwards. At the start of development, it was planned to have The Hero silent as typical in DQ. However, with DQ XI S, SE added voice actors, so the plans were changed. So other Heroes will have voice actors and they will be announced later.

D9_9pelUEAEEgnD.jpg

Edited by Dakhil
  • Like 4

I'm a little confused: "random spells"? 🤔

It’s probably a mistranslation. Sakurai is known to word things oddly/vaguely, so we’re going to have to wait and see what exactly he meant.

I'm curious about the restriction on which characters can fight one another. Like what does this mean exactly and why would there be such a restriction on character interaction, or am I reading this wrong?

1 hour ago, Flute_Warrior said:

I'm curious about the restriction on which characters can fight one another. Like what does this mean exactly and why would there be such a restriction on character interaction, or am I reading this wrong?

It says “with” each other so I’m not sure if that refers to “with,” as in “together” or “with” as in “against” each other.

If it’s against each other, that situation sort of reminds me of something that was said in an episode of How Did This Get Made, where Paul Scheer made a claim that it’s in the Fast and the Furious, the actors have it in their contracts that they can’t lose fights.

I'm thinking the restriction is the same one that prevented the heroes from meeting in DQH and the Fortune Street games.  I'm thinking due to the timeline differences it wouldn't even make sense canonically for the heroes to meet up and fight together.  That's probably what they were getting at.

spacer.png

From left to right we have heros 5,2,7,1,6,9, and I'm blanking on the guy with the goggles, is he supposed to be from 10?

(Yes, I know #5 isn't actually the "hero" in 5.) 

eq4uw.jpg&key=bd141647ed7e50a54e2c631882bf372ce3814c6b38faacdd8fd7421c17fdafb6
From left to right we have heros 5,2,7,1,6,9, and I'm blanking on the guy with the goggles, is he supposed to be from 10?
(Yes, I know #5 isn't actually the "hero" in 5.) 
Close.

From left to right we have heroes from 5, 10, 7, 1, 6, 9, and 2. Goggles is 2. Red dude is X.

So Nintendo uploaded the "Nintendo Switch - Fan-Favories & Newest Releases - Summer" trailer on YouTube today. Starting from 0:14 in the video, Nintendo showcased the Hero footage from E3 2019, mentioning that "the Hero joins the battle". And GoNintendo speculated that this trailer indicates that the Hero is set to be released later this month.

Do you think there's a good chance the Hero will be available for download later this month?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

So, there's a rumour going around that the Hero will be released on 4 August 2019 based on a pop-in display.

https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1153951991703494656

7/11 in Japan has a pop up display for Fire Emblem and Hero. (it just says that Hero will be released in the summer).

The pop up display is only until the 4th though.

EAOpM9UUEAAgZSi.jpg

And apparently, Nintendo is updating the Super Smash Bros Ultimate Spirits database with the Dragon Quest Spirits, according to this GameXplain video.

Edited by Dakhil
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dakhil said:

So, there's a rumour going around that the Hero will be released on 4 August 2019 based on a pop-in display.

https://twitter.com/PushDustIn/status/1153951991703494656

The argument can be made that it’s only up until August 4th because it’s an ad for both Dragon Quest and Fire Emblem, and Fire Emblem: Three Houses will have been out for a week by the 4th.

I would rather see the hero released on August 2nd. That would be a great birthday present from Masterhero Soccerguy.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

I would rather see the hero released on August 2nd. That would be a great birthday present from Masterhero Soccerguy.

He wanted to split the difference between mine as well.

34 minutes ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

7/30 livestream with Sakurai. Release date will be revealed as well!

Of course it has to be when I’m going to be at #$*!ing work and starts right when my shift starts. God damnit. 

18 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Of course it has to be when I’m going to be at #$*!ing work and starts right when my shift starts. God damnit. 

Same. Good thing I have headphones and an office job. We'll try not to spoil anything for you.

I'm quite excited for the stream. I have many high hopes for this

I'll either be driving to work or just arriving to work when the stream starts (and yes I do go to work that early).

I can't wait to play the Hero and hopefully, we'll also get some more Dragon Quest XI S news as well.

• Like 1

I was thinking it would be 7/31. They'll make a big show like "like what you saw? Well guess what!?!? You can play as him TOMORROW!"

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

I was thinking it would be 7/31. They'll make a big show like "like what you saw? Well guess what!?!? You can play as him TOMORROW!"

Thank god. I have Wednesday off, so it’s perfect timing. And it makes for a nice early b-day gift from MonsterHunter Samurai.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

The reveal video for the hero and Smash update 4.0 is live!

I’m watching it right now. Thank god my shift was changed to 9-5:30 since freight didn’t come in yesterday!

Okay, some pretty cool stuff was revealed! The hero is actually releasing later today (7/30), there will be some Mii costumes based on other DQ characters you can purchase, and the new stage, Yggdrasil’s Alter, shows off a lot of Erdrea!

Its also really cool to find out the voice actor for Erdrick is the same guy who did Link’s voice back in the N64 Zelda games/Smash 64 and Melee. I’be heard him in a lot of other games like Tatsunoko vs Capcom and The King of Fighters, so him voicing Erdrick is a very fitting choice!

Can’t wait start playing as the Hero after work!