Dakhil

Dragon Quest Heroes Confirmed as Super Smash Bros Ultimate DLC Characters

I love that Hero appears next to the Pokémon Trainer and Ness which are 2 of my other favorite video game things. Joker is right there with him too.

@Dwaine @Plattym3

Here's the thing, we all know that when a series goes mainstream, you will have people who are utter nutters, or who like to flail about like idiots.  It should be celebrated not for them, but because there will be more of us added to the larger roster of overall fans through Nintendo's action and pushing DQ through adding to Smash Bros.  There were already plenty of annoying posters for DQ11, even here, who popped in, had a silly question, didn't like the answer, or was outright rude...and that's how it works.  For all of those, we've also seen a few new members and even on GameFAQs, new and older fans who haven't played in awhile, or who didn't spent any time on other DQ forums but are participating now, coming out of the shadows so to speak, because it's a new age.

So I'm happy to see the child-like behaviour as it's a sign DQ is heading mainstream, or starting down that route, and will become recognizable as a series.  It's rather frustrating entering a game store, saying Dragon Quest, and getting a blank stare, or a "you mean Dragon Ball?," question.  That will change.

It happened with Final Fantasy, and the various online message forums I was part of back when AOL message boards were a thing.  FF7 changed the game.  DQ11 is the FF7 (or the closest thing to it) of the DQ world.  Clearly the growth change is different.  FF7 took the fanbase from 500k to nearly 4m people in the US alone.  That said, for all the BS I deal with on FF fansites or GameFAQs forums, there are a lot of cogent and good discussions and helpful people.  More than before.  More people code diving to find out mechanics...for me as you both know that's like finding gold and platinum in a hidden room underground...just bars and bars of the two metals.  Then you have more people making FAQs, more people contributing in other ways.  Imagine Woodus being behind, or having alternative fansites crop up that are serious, and fill out the details in everything.   That's huge.

So I would say be happy knowing there will be more people like yourselves (and me...yeah, I know, that's a scary thought) that come with the dumbassery.  Just trying to give you two a booster is all.  Anyway, cheers gentlemen.

• Like 2

[mention=2168]Dwaine[/mention] [mention=6859]Plattym3[/mention]
Here's the thing, we all know that when a series goes mainstream, you will have people who are utter nutters, or who like to flail about like idiots.  It should be celebrated not for them, but because there will be more of us added to the larger roster of overall fans through Nintendo's action and pushing DQ through adding to Smash Bros.  There were already plenty of annoying posters for DQ11, even here, who popped in, had a silly question, didn't like the answer, or was outright rude...and that's how it works.  For all of those, we've also seen a few new members and even on GameFAQs, new and older fans who haven't played in awhile, or who didn't spent any time on other DQ forums but are participating now, coming out of the shadows so to speak, because it's a new age.
So I'm happy to see the child-like behaviour as it's a sign DQ is heading mainstream, or starting down that route, and will become recognizable as a series.  It's rather frustrating entering a game store, saying Dragon Quest, and getting a blank stare, or a "you mean Dragon Ball?," question.  That will change.
It happened with Final Fantasy, and the various online message forums I was part of back when AOL message boards were a thing.  FF7 changed the game.  DQ11 is the FF7 (or the closest thing to it) of the DQ world.  Clearly the growth change is different.  FF7 took the fanbase from 500k to nearly 4m people in the US alone.  That said, for all the BS I deal with on FF fansites or GameFAQs forums, there are a lot of cogent and good discussions and helpful people.  More than before.  More people code diving to find out mechanics...for me as you both know that's like finding gold and platinum in a hidden room underground...just bars and bars of the two metals.  Then you have more people making FAQs, more people contributing in other ways.  Imagine Woodus being behind, or having alternative fansites crop up that are serious, and fill out the details in everything.   That's huge.
So I would say be happy knowing there will be more people like yourselves (and me...yeah, I know, that's a scary thought) that come with the dumbassery.  Just trying to give you two a booster is all.  Anyway, cheers gentlemen.
Can we just make the forums invite only

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, AustNerevar said:

That sounds like a horrible idea.

Just ban rude posters as they come.

That sounds like a horrible idea.
Just ban rude posters as they come.
I was joking of course.

Mostly.

16 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

I was joking of course.

Mostly.

Can never be too sure on the internet these days.

46 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

I was joking of course.

Mostly.

You gotta watch out for Aust. He’s got the shifty eyes...

spacer.png

If someone new joins and they start causing problems, they should just get the ban hammer from good ol’ Dwaine or the other admins. I’m all for new members joining up and having discussions on DQ and other things, but if trouble makers sneak in....

spacer.png

Yeah, while Dragon Quest going mainstream (which Smash absolutely can help out with) can cause annoyances?  Overall it's for the best, as long as they retain the Dragon Quest charm and don't start screwing with the formula like was done with Final Fantasy.

I want everybody to love Dragon Quest as much as we all do.

This was honestly way more than I expected, but I'm pleased. I wouldn't be able to do anything with them in Smash because 1) I'm a broke teenager and 2) Smash games just aren't really my thing tbh.

Eh, Dragon Quest going mainstream will be better in the long run, I'm just hoping they won't screw Dragon Quest up. And honestly, I'm aware that it will cause annoyances though it isn't really anything new for me, as there are many annoyances in other fandoms I'm in as well (Warriors, Wings of Fire, Riordanverse, etc) that irk me a lot. However, it does tell me that at least Dragon Quest is growing because with more child-like behavior, it does tell me that there are signs of Dragon Quest becoming more mainstream series or starting on that route.

Either way I'm happy to see more DQ representation. It was about time, in my opinion.

On 6/14/2019 at 1:57 PM, AustNerevar said:

That's what the Dragon Quest Facebook group did. Haven't looked in there for a loooong time. Turned it off seeing it on my feed because everyone kept posting their DQ IX party.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2019 at 4:08 AM, Algrado said:

If a Square Enix female character was ever added in a future Smash game, I believe Tifa from FF7 has the highest chance due to her popularity in both the East and West.

I'd rather see 2B. NieR Automata won lots of title and the android's popularity is incredibly high. Especially on some websites... 👀

But still. 2B would be a better choice than Tifa imo. What's that? "I'm just rooting for 2B cause I'd give an arm to have an Amiibo of her"? well, that is true. 

18 hours ago, Dwaine said:

That's what the Dragon Quest Facebook group did. Haven't looked in there for a loooong time. Turned it off seeing it on my feed because everyone kept posting their DQ IX party.

Tier lists were a big thing for a while. That got annoying quick. :rolleyes:

Can never be too sure on the internet these days.
Really? Everyone on the internet always seems 100% sure. Especially about opinions, those are always truth.
I left for a certain DV character. He's calmed down in past years, but I only visit occasionally.
Much does there. I'm a member but keep it off my feed.

2 hours ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

That was just a big thing on the Internet in general. It fizzled out in less than a month, as expected.

1 hour ago, Plattym3 said:

Really? Everyone on the internet always seems 100% sure. Especially about opinions, those are always truth.

So much so they’re unwilling to change them at all.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 6:01 AM, DrippySlimeStar said:

I love that Hero appears next to the Pokémon Trainer and Ness which are 2 of my other favorite video game things. Joker is right there with him too.

Favorites of mine too, but additionally for me Dragon Quest and Mega Man cross paths again since the Captain N cartoon.  Which is bad mind you but it's still an old favorite to me and a guilty pleasure.

Funny that both also have had a main line release, both being the 11th installment and for the Switch as well (even if this port of DQ XI is't out yet).

1 hour ago, Antiyonder said:

Favorites of mine too, but additionally for me Dragon Quest and Mega Man cross paths again since the Captain N cartoon.  Which is bad mind you but it's still an old favorite to me and a guilty pleasure.

Speaking of, when’s Captain N’s turn to get into Smash?

1 minute ago, eal said:

Speaking of, when’s Captain N’s turn to get into Smash?

He’s going to be the 5th DLC character. My uncle who works at Nintendo told me all about it.

2 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

He’s going to be the 5th DLC character. My uncle who works at Nintendo told me all about it.

Everyone’s uncle works for Nintendo.

36 minutes ago, eal said:

Everyone’s uncle works for Nintendo.

Yep. Nintendo’s staff is nothing but uncles.

25 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Yep. Nintendo’s staff is nothing but uncles.

Well, I’ll be a monkey’s uncle.

Well, I’ll be a monkey’s uncle.
If Planet of the Apes is an accurate description of the future of Earth, yes. Yes, you will be.

10 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

If Planet of the Apes is an accurate description of the future of Earth, yes. Yes, you will be.

The question is, when will the maniacs blow it up?

Posted (edited)

EDIT: Wrong thread. My bad!

To make up for my mistakes, have a video of some Japanese reactions to the Hero(es) of Dragon Quest III, IV, VIII, & XI coming to Super Smash Bros Ultimate as DLC characters.

Edited by Dakhil
  • Like 1

I would have liked to see the "hero" from V, (ironically DQV and FFV are my favourite entries in their respective series thus far.)   Also, while it's awesome to see Erdrick, he looks a bit...dated. (He is from games from over 25 years ago after all)   I think he could have been modernized a little better, but to be honest I can't put my finger on how....

• Like 1

He is modernized. His Smash design is based on his appearance in Dragon Quest Battle Road Victory. Notice the metal band on his arms, under his shoulders, and the three wicks of hair under his headband. Those aren't present on neither the NES design, nor the SNES one.