Dakhil

Dragon Quest Heroes Confirmed as Super Smash Bros Ultimate DLC Characters

I have Smash.  When can we get the characters and do we have to buy something?

The Dragon Quest characters will be available at summer 2019.

And you can buy the DLC characters either individually (as separate Challenger Packs) or buy all the DLC characters as once (as the Fighters Pass).

Sorry for the double post, but Square Enix announced that Hori is making a Slime Controller for the Nintendo Switch, which is available for pre-order at the price of 10,778 yen. Anyone wants to get this as the controller to be used in Super Smash Bros Ultimate?

『ドラゴンクエストスライムコントローラー for Nintendo Switch』予約開始!! Bluetooth無線通信によるNintendo Switchの操作が可能!バッテリー内蔵で乾電池は不要です。
sqex.to/LtxB5
spacer.png
spacer.png
spacer.png

Posted (edited)

DQ, Western fans, well deserved recognition, and not just recognition, but people are pumped?  I feel very good for the Switch release.  It's about time.  Going to mean dealing with a ton of asshats, but DQ deserves some respect and love.  I teared up a little seeing that response.

The only thing that saddens me is the lack of Hobo Link-esque costume change.

DQ11's looks like DQ8's Angelo (is he actually popular?), and has a touch of a DQ9 vibe, at least in terms of the colour pattern of the armour of the DQ9 hero as he appears in marketing.  Definitely a better looking Angelo, lol.  Where's the green love with a hoodie?!?!

DQ8's looks like Terry from DQ6 (also similar pattern to DQ2's Middenhall, but not really).  I think he's a better looking Terry.

DQ4's looks like both DQ1 and DQ6's hero, as they both use orange and blue.

DQ3's is obviously patterned after 5, which is really cool.

Edited by ignasia
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Dakhil said:

If anyone feels down over seeing people being apathetic towards Dragon Quest in general, here's a video of people at the Nintendo NY Store going (positively) crazy over the announcement of the Dragon Quest Hero(es) as Super Smash Bros Ultimate DLC characters.

I cannot fathom why people have their cell phones out. Why not be in the moment and just watch. You're going to take grainy video of a video in full HD available on the Internet at any given second? What are they going to do, watch that video over and over and over again?  OK, old man rant over.  I literally couldn't bring myself to watch that because I immediately dismissed most of that crowd as idiots. 

4 hours ago, ignasia said:

DQ, Western fans, well deserved recognition, and not just recognition, but people are pumped?  I feel very good for the Switch release.  It's about time.  Going to mean dealing with a ton of asshats,

See above.

The only thing that saddens me is the lack of Hobo Link-esque costume change.

Agree to disagree, that's the worst DQ hero design. Period.

DQ4's looks like both DQ1 and DQ6's hero, as they both use orange and blue.

The real hero of DQ6 doesn't wear orange. 

2 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

I cannot fathom why people have their cell phones out. Why not be in the moment and just watch. You're going to take grainy video of a video in full HD available on the Internet at any given second?

So that they can post on Facebook or SnapChat that “I was here at this moment.”

9 hours ago, Slimeknight said:

They say summer 2019 release for Hero. You have to buy the fighters pass which is DLC and I believe it's $20. You'll also get Joker from Persona 5 since he's been released already. I believe you can buy each new fighter by themselves but if you end up liking the ones they announce and get them all anyways you save a little bit of money by buying the pass.

They say summer 2019 release for Hero. You have to buy the fighters pass which is DLC and I believe it's $20. You'll also get Joker from Persona 5 since he's been released already. I believe you can buy each new fighter by themselves but if you end up liking the ones they announce and get them all anyways you save a little bit of money by buying the pass.
Actually, you don't need to buy Fighters Pass to get the Hero DLC.

You can actually buy the DLC characters individually (as separate Challenger Packs).

Saw this on the foursome channel. Perfectly sums up why I stick with the DQ fans.

Now that all the bickering is over and we know what the actual truth is, I have to say I really must respect the true Dragon Quest fans I've been seeing on /v/. There were a lot of bandwagoners who had never heard of the series before and probably only cared because it looks like DBZ, but in the midst of all that mess you can see some people who truly love the series and are genuinely happy it's in.

And those people have been nothing but civil about it. They're not gloating at all, they're just happy for the chance to introduce a series they love to a wider audience. They've been going around the board all day, answering people's questions, giving recommendations of which games to start with, even helping them acquire the games. Those people are the true heroes this day, and for that I must thank them.

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Dwaine said:

Saw this on the foursome channel. Perfectly sums up why I stick with the DQ fans.

Awesome. Let's all be the best we can to everyone and not be gatekeeping jerks.

I am so flippin' excited about this, you guys. I absolutely love Smash and DQ (and Banjo-Kazooie!) so yesterday was a dream come true. I really hope this gives the series the boost it needs in the US.

Awesome news.  I love how the chosen alternates represent the different eras.

Erdrick - erdrick series

Solo - Zenithia trilogy

Eight - PlayStation duology

Luminary - Current protag

Only the multiplayer games aren't represented.

1 hour ago, DrippySlimeStar said:

Awesome. Let's all be the best we can to everyone and not be gatekeeping jerks.

I mean, Yangus does hate IX. Clearly he’s a fake Dragon Quest fan. The only acceptable game to hate is VI. And if you can’t memorize the lore of every game and use all the optimum party members and spells during boss battles, you must not like playing Dragon Quest games correctly.

Am I doing it right?

3 hours ago, eal said:

I mean, Yangus does hate IX. Clearly he’s a fake Dragon Quest fan. The only acceptable game to hate is VI. And if you can’t memorize the lore of every game and use all the optimum party members and spells during boss battles, you must not like playing Dragon Quest games correctly.

Am I doing it right?

Now wait a minute, let’s get something straight here: the REAL acceptable game to hate is IX. 

17 hours ago, Slimeknight said:

No announcement for the character aside from Summer. The Season Pass with all characters are 20 bucks, I think the characters individually are 4.99.

Like Joker, there'll probably be some DQ Mii costumes for purchase too (.99 cents)

18 hours ago, Burner said:

Adding an alternate skin to a pre-existing character is much easier than making a new fighter from scratch, so don't count Sofia and estrognrick out because you think the devs are lazy or the series isn't popular enough inspite of getting four skins right off the bat.

Yeah, Sakurai said Echoes take practically zero effort. Tansut, who leaked Cloud and Erdrick said his source told him that it would have a female alt. There's also the mysterious Jane files associated with Joker which suggests there was a female alt planned for him as well. It's still super slim, but I have some hope there's going to be some DLC echoes.

Posted (edited)

I wouldn’t want Sakurai to have to go to work with an IV drip like he said once to make this happen, but if they felt they were able to, it would be cool to get at least 8 Hero alts, because that way we could co-ordinate a tournament with each member as a different Hero.

Edited by eal

I wouldn’t want Sakurai to have to go to work with an IV drip like he said once to make this happen, but if they felt they were able to, it would be cool to get at least 8 Hero alts, because that way we could co-ordinate a tournament with each member as a different Hero.
I'm happy with what we're getting. I'd love to be able to use V's hero, but the extra costumes are enough to satisfy me.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Posted (edited)

I've been super busy with DQ10 and even making posts trying to introduce new fans to the series! Only on Twitter and 4chan though.

You know, I don't know if all of this attention will be a blessing or a curse. There's already people on the Smash Bros. Wiki fighting over the character's names. Let's hope nothing too bad happens!

Edited by Imutone

1 hour ago, AustNerevar said:

I'm happy with what we're getting. I'd love to be able to use V's hero, but the extra costumes are enough to satisfy me.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

I never would have pegged you for a fan of V’s hero’s design.

22 hours ago, Dakhil said:

If anyone feels down over seeing people being apathetic towards Dragon Quest in general, here's a video of people at the Nintendo NY Store going (positively) crazy over the announcement of the Dragon Quest Hero(es) as Super Smash Bros Ultimate DLC characters.

Watching that KH loser scream impotently while he flails around his keyblade that looks like it was made out of a pool noodle is the funniest thing I've seen all week.

5 hours ago, Choppasmith said:

No announcement for the character aside from Summer. The Season Pass with all characters are 20 bucks, I think the characters individually are 4.99.

In NA, the cost is $25 for the character pack, but BEWARE, that's not ALL the characters.  Sorry, I was about to pull the trigger on this today, but got annoyed by the pricing structure.  Here's how it goes:

All Characters: $25*

Piranha Plant: $5 *note, not available via the "all characters" pack

#1 - Joker: $6

#2 - DQ Hero: $6

#3 - Banjo-Kazooie: $6

#4 - TBD 

#5 - TBD

I'll gladly plop down the $6 for the DQ hero, but I'm not really interested in Smash and my kids are 3 & 5 so really they don't know these characters apart from Smash to begin with.  I also play pretty much just turn-based games for the past 2 decades so other than Joker & DQ, I've not really any memories about the characters too.  Would probably have pulled the trigger for $25 for all if all really meant all, but the damn Piranha Plant DLC not being included in "all" pissed me off enough to just not do it.  Stupid Nintendo.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

In NA, the cost is $25 for the character pack, but BEWARE, that's not ALL the characters.  Sorry, I was about to pull the trigger on this today, but got annoyed by the pricing structure.  Here's how it goes:

All Characters: $25*

Piranha Plant: $5 *note, not available via the "all characters" pack

#1 - Joker: $6

#2 - DQ Hero: $6

#3 - Banjo-Kazooie: $6

#4 - TBD 

#5 - TBD

I'll gladly plop down the $6 for the DQ hero, but I'm not really interested in Smash and my kids are 3 & 5 so really they don't know these characters apart from Smash to begin with.  I also play pretty much just turn-based games for the past 2 decades so other than Joker & DQ, I've not really any memories about the characters too.  Would probably have pulled the trigger for $25 for all if all really meant all, but the damn Piranha Plant DLC not being included in "all" pissed me off enough to just not do it.  Stupid Nintendo.

Not having an interest in all the characters and not being the target audience for Smash can make all the difference for sure. If you aren’t familiar with the faces or their games, you either look into it or move on.

Personally I’m planning on getting the fighters pack (and Piranha Plant) once I get Smash Ultimate. I could give a #$*! about Joker and the Persona content, but I’m happy to see Atlus finally has a representative in the Smash games (and to be honest Joker is a good choice even though I would have preferred someone like Jack Frost or Flynn from SMT4, but I digress) so I will support that and will probably enjoy playing as Joker.

With The Hero and Banjo-Kazooie, I’m all in for those two. Loved both series since I was a kid, as both were games that helped shape my interest in collect-a-thon platformers and RPGs. I’ll admit Banjo-Kazooie got me more excited than The Hero, but both being in announced in the same day was truly a wonderful thing. The 4 choices for heroes are a well chosen bunch, with each being from DQ games in my top 5 DQ games, so that’s another incentive. Solo being one of them made my day, as 4’s hero is my favorite of the lot, both in design and in battle abilities. Having a DQ rep at last is just so exciting.

As for the bear and bird, I think I’ve been clear how ecstatic I am the duo are making a return to Nintendo consoles, and in Smash Bros. no less! Heck, me changing my profile picture to Banjo and Kazooie from the end of their trailer should be proof enough how excited I am for them.

Totally get why you wouldn’t go for the Pass, Platty. Going for The Hero will net you the new character, the alternate looks, the DQ11 stage, and any music. So even if you only play Smash once and a while with the family, you’ll have something to look forward too with the Hero.

Sorry that became rather long winded. Basically I get why you have no interest in the fighter pass.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Now wait a minute, let’s get something straight here: the REAL acceptable game to hate is IX. 

IX was actually the first game I beat in the series a few years before I got into it. I gotta replay it some time. I guess someone found a DNS you can hook your DS up to and get the DLC items.

Man it's been YEARS since I've posted on this forum. HAD to come back to celebrate our lads getting in. Probably going to use the VIII Hero's Terry costume since VI is still my favorite after all these years. I know the VI Hero is not one of the 4 playable heroes but seeing him (and all the rest) in the final smash was amazing.

• Like 1

Tah-dah! Here’s the video of The Hero (and a Slime!) and Banjo & Kazooie being added to the Smash Bros. Ultimate mural!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Tah-dah! Here’s the video of The Hero (and a Slime!) and Banjo & Kazooie being added to the Smash Bros. Ultimate mural!

I love that they included a slime with the Hero as well!