Dakhil

Method of getting the DLC without hacking and/or playing in multiplayer

Posted (edited)

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/937281-dragon-quest-ix-sentinels-of-the-starry-skies/77723677

Been seeing a lot of topics around here asking how to get the DLC content and people answer that the only way to get it is by hacking or playing multiplayer with someone who does have it. However, using altwfc, you can get the DLC simply by connecting your DS to a different server. 

Go into the DS wifi settings from inside any online DS game, and set 172.104.88.237 as your primary DNS, making sure there are no other connections set up. This will work on any DS system, from phat to 3DS. 

Keep in mind that the DS can't connect to any wifi with higher security than WEP, which is old wifi that you probably don't have anymore (and if you do, your network is wide open) so you'll need to find a work around. There's a few different ways to accomplish this, such as plugging in an old router to your new router (my preferred method), using a mobile hotspot, setting up an open guest network, etc.

Once that's set up, go to the inn in Stornway, talk to Sellma, and if everything is done right it should connect and download the quests, special guests, and VC Shop items.

Edited by Dakhil
  • Like 1

With the number of inquiries we have received over the years about this, I'd think this deserves a sticky.

Maybe it would make more sense to provide a series of ways to accomplish DLC-unlocking in one thread and then stickying that. Ultimately the above method might not be any easier for some than any of the other solutions. Someone might have better success connecting an NDS Adaptor to a Windows 7 PC, or using Action Replay, than rigging a WEP connection on an old router with a mobile hotspot and guest network.

Ultimately the solution ends up being whatever you're able to get to work, so my recommendation would be to compile information on all methods and then sticky that.

Posted (edited)

I got an uncomfirmed message from someone that this worked for them with just tethering, but that they did have to set their phones to an unsecure WEP connection. I'm going to give this a shot this weekend.

Edited by Liamland
  • Like 1

I got an uncomfirmed message from someone that this worked for them with just tethering, but that they did have to set their phones to an unsecure WEP connection. I'm going to give this a shot this weekend.
Did you get a chance to try it?

Not yet. Hearing mixed reviews on what works and what doesn't from people on Reddit, so I'll have to try a few things. NintendoNY's wifi was WEP and worked when the server was supported. I also wonder if this would work on their premises.