Sign in to follow this  
eal

Another Obligatory E3 Thread: 2019

E3 is coming so now’s the time when everyone goes over what they’re expecting to be shown or would like to see. This year’s E3, however, is unique for the things we won’t see. Sony is skipping E3 entirely and has instead been drip-feeding a conference-worth of news leading up to it. Death Stranding, MediEvil, and the FFVII remake have all had new trailers. So this year we can’t expect any Sony first party or PS4 first games.

On top of that, Nintendo is doing a Direct for Pokémon Sword and Shield just a couple days before E3! While I’m sure Pokémon will appear in some form, either in their E3 video or during a Treehouse live presentation, that’s still crazy to me.

Anyways, I imagine we can expect the next Smash DLC character to be revealed, more news on Bayonetta 3, it would be cool to find out the Metroid Prime Trilogy for Switch rumors are true, that From Soft GRR Martin game, and I’d love for a release date for Metal Wolf Chaos XD. I’m also looking forward to seeing that Square Enix Avengers game.

Posted (edited)

Honestly I got nothing for this year. I’m hoping we’ll hear about the next Smash Bros DLC character (or potentially characters) but otherwise there’s not much on the horizon I’m super excited for or am hoping for  really. I guess I’ll hope for some more info on DQ11’s Switch version and a western release date and some new info on Trails of Cold Steel 3. Those are the two games coming later this year I’m excited for.

Other than those, I just hope this E3 will have some surprise announcements that make me excited.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

DQXIS
DQB
Cold Steel 3
Rune Factory 4 & 5
Pokemon S & S

That's about all the releases I know of coming up in the next year +

So anything else will be news to me.

One can hope. 59fe66abcfcdd9fae332f2ba57ddf70f.jpg

• Like 1

Well there we go. E3 surprise #1:

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/grandia-hd-collection-coming-soon-more-information-set-for-e3-2019

This is one RPG/game off the “seems to be in Development Hell forever,” I have. Now to see if the other one will ever come off the same list as well.

Well there we go. E3 surprise #1:
https://gematsu.com/2019/06/grandia-hd-collection-coming-soon-more-information-set-for-e3-2019
This is one RPG/game off the “seems to be in Development Hell forever,” I have. Now to see if the other one will ever come off the same list as well.
Yeah, seems like good news. I've had a handful of RPGamer people tell me it was pure buggy last year at PAX and they understand why we haven't seen it for a long time. Hope it's good, but I'm not going to preorder. Gonna hold off until reviews convince me to get it, but I'm excited for a chance to play these again. Probably my favorite battle system ever!

9 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Yeah, seems like good news. I've had a handful of RPGamer people tell me it was pure buggy emoji90.png last year at PAX and they understand why we haven't seen it for a long time. Hope it's good, but I'm not going to preorder. Gonna hold off until reviews convince me to get it, but I'm excited for a chance to play these again. Probably my favorite battle system ever!

That would explain why they’ve been so hush hush about the release. I’m glad we’re getting more info on the game. Hopefully it will finally see a release this year.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hooray, another early E3 surprise.

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/citizens-of-space-announced-for-ps4-xbox-one-switch-and-pc

I enjoyed Citizens of Earth quite a bit (even though it could be a little glitchy in some areas) and I’m happy to see a sequel is on the way, and very soon too. Definitely going to get this one.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit

Here’s a Platty game:

4 minutes ago, eal said:

Here’s a Platty game:

Funny you should mention it.  Was just reading up about it yesterday in a bunch of press information that I got from XSEED, but one line made me meh: "Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin is an ode to rice and an engrossing simulation of the craft behind the agriculture."  Nope, that's a game with too much of an agenda.  That agenda may be rice, but still, that's taking something too seriously.

XSEED-wise I'm far more interested in Rune Factory 4 and Homeland.  I'm actually going to cancel my Pokemon preorder I think and preorder Rune Factory 4 instead. I'll get Pokemon used a little bit later I think and would rather support Rune Factory's return with a full-priced purchase.

21 hours ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Hooray, another early E3 surprise.

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/citizens-of-space-announced-for-ps4-xbox-one-switch-and-pc

I enjoyed Citizens of Earth quite a bit (even though it could be a little glitchy in some areas) and I’m happy to see a sequel is on the way, and very soon too. Definitely going to get this one.

I almost picked up the news article for this last night for RPGamer, but I've successfully slid out of the news department since November, so no need to step back inside 😉  Actually with all the E3 stuff, I might get a couple out.

6 hours ago, Plattym3 said:

XSEED-wise I'm far more interested in Rune Factory 4 and Homeland.  I'm actually going to cancel my Pokemon preorder I think and preorder Rune Factory 4 instead. I'll get Pokemon used a little bit later I think and would rather support Rune Factory's return with a full-priced purchase.

Only person on Earth to decide to cancel a Pokémon pre-order for Rune Factory.

• Like 1

Early E3 surprise #3: A bunch of Bandai Namco leaks.

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/bandai-namco-e3-2019-announcements-leaked-tales-of-arise-from-softwares-elden-ring-and-ni-no-kuni-remastered

I’m pretty happy to hear a remaster of Ni no Kuni 1 is on the way. A survey Namco did last year strongly hinted that could happen, so that’s pretty nice. Didn’t get the chance to play it on PS3, and after playing and loving NNK2 I totally want to play the original more than ever now (and yes I know they play drastically differently).

The new From Software game is exciting to hear about too. I still need to pick up Sekiro at some point, but having two From games to look forward to is nice.

56 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

The new From Software game is exciting to hear about too. I still need to pick up Sekiro at some point, but having two From games to look forward to is nice.

Hey, don’t forget Metal Wolf Chaos XD!

2 minutes ago, eal said:

Hey, don’t forget Metal Wolf Chaos XD!

With how you mention it and have been excited for it, how could I forget it?

I look into it eventually.

Only person on Earth to decide to cancel a Pokémon pre-order for Rune Factory.
I've never spent much money on video games in general, just a few big ones per year and then tons of used. Buying the Switch and a bunch of non-RPGs for the kids this year threw off the budget and I know I'll be getting Builders and DQ11S, so need to choose wisely 1 or 2 more new games and work on the backlog. Have Let's Go Pikachu, so if the Pokémon itch comes, I'll scratch it with that game for now. Being with RPGamer now for almost a year has opened me up to trying a wider swath of games so been all over the place.

Posted (edited)

Since I have a XBone I decided to watch Microsoft’s conference. Their E3s are always confusing though because they often premiere games that might also be on other platforms. A lot of the games I give impressions of below are definitely multiplat.

YOU HAVE MY ATTENTION: Hey, that GRR Martin From Soft game Elden Ring looks like it’ll be good! A mix of Japanese and Western medieval fantasy sensibilities. Please let this be the From Soft game I can finally get into. I’m definitely into that new Star Wars game...but it’s also on PS4. Spiritfarer looked cute. It looks like you build a small community at sea on a boat or something? 12 Minutes looked up my alley. I do like stories where the character goes back in time until the problem is solved, if that’s what it looks like it was about.

MEH: Flight Simulator? Oh, boy. Age of Empires II? Oh, boy. Wasteland 3? Oh, boy. LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga? Oh, boy. Another Dragon Ball Z game that goes through the plot of the manga? Oh, boy. LEGO Forza? What a versatile brand LEGO is. Gears of War Funko POP! game? What a versatile brand Funko POP!s are.

COOL BUT NOT FOR ME: Bleeding Edge, Cyberpunk (I got my enjoyment from it just seeing Keanu Reeves yuck it up on stage), Minecraft RPG, Battletoads, Legend of Wright, Dying Light 2, Tales of Arise (sorry, I just don’t care much for Tales of games, but I want to get into them)

The crowd freaking out slightly when it was revealed Metro Exodus was out on Game Pass today was funny. The Epic Store might have some games first but that basically means that later on other platform holders can get the crowd hyped up saying those games are now available elsewhere!

Double Fine is now a part of Microsoft Studios. They keep grabbing all these big developers and utilizing them as little as possible.

Honestly, the greatest part of the whole conference for me was the Phantasy Star Online II reveal. Not because I care about PSO at all but because I’m deep in that Two Best Friends lore and Pat and Liam had a longstanding bet on whether it was coming or not, and they’d re-up their bet every year. Of course, they’re not friends anymore, and it seemed to end badly at that, so I’m curious what’s gonna be said on this week’s podcast.

Edited by eal

1 hour ago, eal said:

Double Fine is now a part of Microsoft Studios

Wait, WHAT?!?! 

I swear, if Psychonauts 2 now ends up not being on any other system besides XBone and PC I’m gonna be really pissed. Same goes for any future Double Fine games.

Gah, this is like Rare all over again! #$*!ing Microsoft, man.

7 minutes ago, YangustheLegendaryBandit said:

Wait, WHAT?!?! 

I swear, if Psychonauts 2 now ends up not being on any other system besides XBone and PC I’m gonna be really pissed. Same goes for any future Double Fine games.

Gah, this is like Rare all over again! #$*!ing Microsoft, man.

Well, it’s fair to say future Double Fine games will be XBox and PC exclusive. However, in regards to Psychonauts 2, I’m actually somewhat confused on that. Some articles are insisting it’s still coming to PS4, but it’s also being published by Microsoft Game Studios. The timing on this is funny to me what with the recent release of the original Psychonauts on PS4 physically by Limited Run Games like two days ago.

Most of my hope and excitement goes towards Smash Bros this time around....I've fallen as a sucker to leaks for this E3, I think most of it stems from my hype over the possibility of there being a Dragon Quest representative in Smash! One can dream... ; (

Although...... Banjo and Kazooie does sound nice too, right? I feel like Nintendo always takes the headlines of E3 especially this time around with Ultimate being a thing. It's kind of sad seeing people war and debate over who is going to be the potential fighter for this upcoming DLC release, honestly I'm just happy to get some content from Nintendo regardless of who they put out as the new fighter! Other than that I kind of want to see a new F-Zero game but I feel like that won't happen anytime soon. 

For some reason I thought today was the Nintendo E3 presentation and found out it was tomorrow and got sad. Then I saw this and felt better:

Oh hey, Shin Megami Tensei V is looking gre-

Oh. Wrong company.

Seriously though, that game does sound interesting. Might keep an eye on it in the future.

Thanks to @Plattym3for the heads up on this news: Trails of Cold Steel III will be releasing on September 24th here in the west!

https://gematsu.com/2019/06/the-legend-of-heroes-trails-of-cold-steel-iii-launches-september-24-in-north-america-september-27-in-europe

I’m pretty stoked to hear part 3 will drop this fall. I still have a long way to go with Cold Steel 2, but I should (hopefully) have plenty of time to finish it before CS3 drops.

Thought it'd be later in the year, so that's good news!

I'm very excited for the SE conference soon! And the recents FF7 Remake trailer has finally given us a release date, it's my birthday!

Posted (edited)

OMG people losing their minds over seeing an HD version of Tifa. I could swear she’s been in tons of spin-off games looking just like she normal does though. (Also, I heard a dude scream “Take my wallet!”)

Edited by eal
  • Like 2