Sign in to follow this  
DranzerX13

Dragon Quest X Region Free again...

Square enix did it again and must've goofed. You can play Dragon Quest X without a VPN like they did back in 2014 before they fixed it.

I'm assuming that this will only be the case for a few days or weeks, right? Because it seems like a thing that Square Enix would want to fix quickly.

Well it will be 2 months in a few days, maybe it will stick this time

Posted (edited)

At current time, USA and China are the confirmed territories that have been able to get in without an IP block.

It's not a world-wide opening.  A lot of payers are still needing a VPN. 

We've known for a while, but we haven't been broadcasting it as we didn't want a sudden rush of foreigners jumping in and announcing to Square Enix with a bright neon sign that someone forgot to lock the door and prompting them to immediately restore it.  We've instead had a gradual trickle of people coming in, which is a lot better than a sudden surge.

My theory is that this is related to the shutdown of Chinese DQX.  I suspect it's not a coincidence that China can now get into the JP server.  I suspect that they released it to allow the Chinese players to migrate to the Japanese server.  My theory is that the US happens to be controlled by whatever setting it is that was controlling China and we got to come along for the ride.

Edited by Cranberry

Good info, thank you Cranberry :thumbsup:

Interesting. I didn't know, maybe I shouldn't have created this thread?

We are probably OK here, I wouldn't go posting too much about it on social media though :)

Well.. If that is the case then I might pick up a Switch Copy and get on playing! (I just want a hard copy for my collection)

Glad this is still a thing. Hopefully soon I'll be able to play again (again, again, again, again, again; lol)!

I didn't know, I have the pc version since release and a friend the switch version, we havent played because of the restriction.

I cannot comment on that either, sorry. @Cranberry do you know?

We haven't tested every region.  The regions that are known to be released are China and the United States.

European regions were still needing a VPN.  But there's a lot of European territories, it's possible some of them might be able to get through.  We won't know for sure until someone tries and reports their results.

I can confirm that The Netherlands for one still requires a VPN.