Sign in to follow this  
Liamland

Unsolved DQ Mysteries: The Dragon Warrior III - NES - Opening Theme

Anyone who's played the NES version of Dragon Warrior III may remember that there is a unique opening theme that was specific to the US version (as seen at the beginning of the below video.) This short theme has not appeared in any DQIII orchestral or OST soundtrack. It's entirely possible it wasn't composed by Koichi Sugiyama and come to think of it, it's not even really composed in his style. That being said, where did it come from? If it's not a Sugiyama track, then who composed it? I've asked a few people over the years, including a handful of uber fans and even some Square Enix marketing folks who know the classic games really well. So far nobody's had the answer.

Well, if @Sackchief was able to track down the artist behind the DWIII & IV western box art, I figure there has to be someone out there who knows the origin of Dragon Warrior III NES's opening theme. Are there any DQ sleuths able to take on the quest on of tracking it down?

"If you, or anyone you know, know the whereabouts of the composer of the Dragon Warrior III opening theme, please post here."

spacer.png

I also researched the closing credits to DWIII-NES and didn't see any specific references to a second composer. The closing screen credits the music copyright to Sugiyama. There are "Dragon Warrior III" EoA credits, but nothing specific to a secondary composer or "opening theme music" composition.

You’re right, that is another mystery. This is definitely the work of Enix America. I’m sure Sugiyama had no hand in it. Would be great if we could figure this out too.

Shared this post to the Den's Facebook and Twitter feeds, hope someone can solve this one. :)

• Like 1

Maybe ask Heidi Kemps to forward a message to Rob?

Here is an MP3 of the file exported from the ROM

DW3 NES Intro Song.mp3

• Like 1

This comes from Dustin Taylor from the Den's Facebook page:

"Hayato Matsuo may have been the composer, and arranger. The piece is simplistic and shows very strict and almost religious inspiration from the pieces found in 1 and 2. Matsuo worked with Sugiyama starting in 90/91 and may have been tasked with the quick add on for the localization. 

I can't find any difinitive info though, and it's clearly stated in all dated interviews and magazines that Sugiyama did ALL the music. 

The step progressions in the later stanzas reek of Sugiyama's style, especially for fanfare pieces. I'd stake a bit of my life on it being a cast off bit of writing that was left the wayside and added for the Western folk."

• Upvote 1

That sounds extremely likely. If anyone has a way to contact Hayato Matsuo, he will probably be able to confirm or deny, and is probably much more likely to respond than Sugiyama himself. :)

Posted (edited)

Yeah, too bad he doesn't have Twitter or some way for fans to reach him. Shot in the dark, but does anyone have an actual means to reach him? I'll even take a Kevin-Bacon-game styled friend of a friend of a friend...connection.

Edited by Liamland

I'll oil myself up and head on over.

2 hours ago, Dwaine said:

I'll oil myself up and head on over.