Sackchief

Interview with Chris Hopkins - Artist behind Dragon Warrior III and IV’s cover

Hey guys. I noticed a really old topic here on the den where folks were trying to find out who the artist behind the Dragon Warrior NES cover art was. This info was elusive for a while, but I finally managed to track him down. His name is Chris Hopkins, he’s a painter from Washington who has done a lot of interesting work over the years. He did the theme art for three separate Super Bowls and the main poster for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom among many other projects. I talked to him about his work and the DQ games he did art for. He said in a previous conversation that he only did the art for DW3 and DW4, so we still don’t know who did the art for the first two games. He was given instructions by a Japanese man from Enix along with a translator and they gave him samples of Toriyama’s work to base his paintings off of. Please check my full interview with him out, I worked very hard on it.

• Like 2

Wow.  The two covers are so different I wouldn’t think they were by the same artist.  IV is so minimalist while III has so much stuff going on.

• Like 2

Nice, great job!

• Like 1

Nice, great job!

Thanks!

Outstanding find! Another puzzle piece in the early history has fallen into place! I'm sure we'll learn who "KIS" is someday.

Can't wait to listen to the interview soon!

• Like 2

Outstanding find! Another puzzle piece in the early history has fallen into place! I'm sure we'll learn who "KIS" is someday.

Thanks Dwaine, let me know what you think!

SackChief, nice job on the interview. Also, randomly stumbled across this earlier this week looking for DQ sprite art for 8.

spacer.png

What/who is "KIS"
  • Like 1

"KIS" is the signature on the box art for Dragon Warrior II. It's at the bottom right between the Princess of Moonbrooke and the dragon.

• Like 2

Yeah the Dragon Warrior I and II artist is still a mystery. This is all we know. His signature.

66af79ea54d921cc035fc6fcf1d34053.jpg