Slimeknight

I started reading The Legend of Dragon Quest.

Yeah, same here. I am only about 30 pages in, talking about Horii's background. I have read bits and pieces over the years, but nothing like a timeline like this.

I just found out that Yuji Horii’s birthday(day and month only) is two days away from mine.

How many pages is it?  Any discussion on Torishima from Shonen Jump's involvement?  He kinda of gets shafted when people talk about the origins of the series 

1 hour ago, Megalosaro said:

How many pages is it?  Any discussion on Torishima from Shonen Jump's involvement?  He kinda of gets shafted when people talk about the origins of the series 

179 Pages and yes Torishima is mentioned

My copy is on the way. Don't know when I'll have time to read it though

I think I’ll order it.

I ordered both versions, and just received them, this week.  Excited to get into them.

I enjoyed reading it, getting a sense of the whole timeline of how the series progressed.

I had no idea this book existed. Now I'm torn between getting the kindle version or ordering a physical copy because I'm from Greece and I need to check multiple amazon sites for shipping costs.

I've only read the first part but I'm looking forward to reading it more. I've been reading the Pokemon Adventures manga at night lately.

On 5/31/2019 at 8:23 PM, mjhopkins81 said:

I ordered both versions

What is the difference between the versions? I didn't get he collectors (didn't know it existed when I preordered).

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Woodus said:

What is the difference between the versions? I didn't get he collectors (didn't know it existed when I preordered).

I didn't know about it either. Just learn of it actually!

According to the publisher's site:

The collector's edition includes:

- The book The Legend of Dragon Quest
- A variant cover
- A dust jacket
- A bookmark
- A lithograph
Edited by Billy MK

It is exactly as the publisher describes.  The dust jacket is reversible (with the blue cover on the underside).  It’s not a HUGE upgrade from the standard copy.  The bookmark is your traditional stock paper fare, as is the lithograph.  I’m not disappointed.

I was reading a bit on my lunch break today and I'm at the part about Yuji Hori's background. I would love to experience Japan back in the 70s as he did. I had such vivid images in my head and the part about the "resistance" or "revolutionary" groups was so interesting and how one of his class mates was in one. I know the cult in EarthBound is based off a real Japanese cult so it was cool to see a little bit of Dragon Quest history be kind of linked to that part of Japanese history.