Dakhil

Square Enix says Dragon Quest sold over 78 million units worldwide

https://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/19q4release.pdf

In the area of massively multiplayer online role-playing games, net sales and operating income decreased compared to the prior fiscal year, which had seen the launch of expansion packages for "FINAL FANTASY XIV" and "DRAGON QUEST X," but recurring subscription revenue remained brisk.

The Square Enix Group also boasts a valuable portfolio of intellectual property including: FINAL FANTASY®, which has sold over 144 million units worldwide; DRAGON QUEST®, which has sold over 78 million units worldwide; TOMB RAIDER®, which has sold over 74 million units worldwide; and the legendary SPACE INVADERS®.

The franchise is goddamn superpower in Japan.

That’s my boiii.

I wonder how many copies out of the 78 million were sold outside of Japan. To be honest, I doubt Dragon Quest has even 10 million combined sales outside Japan, most of which come from Dragon Quest VIII, IX, and XI. I wonder what Square Enix did in Japan, that they failed to do overseas to cause Dragon Quest to be such a success. Obviously, it has a lot to do with marketing but I wonder how much marketing was done in Japan to reach that crazy number of sales at the beginning.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hendrik of Heliodor said:

I wonder how many copies out of the 78 million were sold outside of Japan. To be honest, I doubt Dragon Quest has even 10 million combined sales outside Japan, most of which come from Dragon Quest VIII, IX, and XI. I wonder what Square Enix did in Japan, that they failed to do overseas to cause Dragon Quest to be such a success. Obviously, it has a lot to do with marketing but I wonder how much marketing was done in Japan to reach that crazy number of sales at the beginning.

Localization time and the lack of consistent releases in the west is a big factor.

Edited by YangustheLegendaryBandit
  • Like 1