Sign in to follow this  
mjhopkins81

DQM 2: Iru & Luca's Marvelous Mysterious Key Data Project

Hello, hello!

Once again, I'm playing through a Japanese DQ game and building a database of information about it.  This time, I'm tackling Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Iru & Luca's Marvelous Mysterious Key on the 3DS.  So far, the data I'm including are a comprehensive Monster List (including common and rare drops, scouting locations, breeding recipes, from which eggs they hatch, whether it must be traded, or WiFi gifts), Area-based monster lists, Egg hatching lists, Dream Egg hatching lists, the monsters owned by Other Countries' Masters, Monster Arena battle list, Mini Medal rewards, Costumes, and Scout Q challenges.

This process is, of course, immense, as DQM2 on 3DS has 802 monsters in it; after about two weeks, I'm at 28.4% of that total (219 monsters).  Also...my Japanese is rudimentary, at best.  But, I managed to 100% DQ VII 3DS, DQ VIII 3DS, and DQ XI 3DS, so...I have faith I can complete this undertaking.

At any rate, know that it's coming, and will hopefully be finished before DQ Builders 2 hits the shelves.

• Like 5

Nice. I still have hope in the fan translation being done on the next couple years. Hope so, I loved these games 15 years ago!

• Like 1

Poor Woodus has had the unenviable task of looking at my databases, before, and putting them into the website.

I'd like to see something similar to the PS1 DQM 1+2 package we got in 2002 for the Switch.  The DQM Joker games were okay, but...I never really cared about or for the storylines.  After DQM2, I'll probably tackle DQM Joker 3 Professional, so...

10 hours ago, mjhopkins81 said:

Poor Woodus has had the unenviable task of looking at my databases, before, and putting them into the website.

You're still doing the hard work, I just "massage" the data into the Den's database ;)

• Like 2

I have the game and a pretty thoroughly completed save file; let me know if you need anything. I can also read Japanese fairly well. For DQM2, I've always used http://game-cap.com/dqm2/ as reference. It's all in Japanese, but it's thorough for most things besides item drops. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrMystery said:

I have the game and a pretty thoroughly completed save file; let me know if you need anything. I can also read Japanese fairly well. For DQM2, I've always used http://game-cap.com/dqm2/ as reference. It's all in Japanese, but it's thorough for most things besides item drops. 

Nice. Good reference!  Wish they had pictures of the monsters, but lots of good info there.

• Like 1

I've got six different Japanese wikis up, right now, along with 22 Dragon's Den Monster List tabs open (at least one for each main-series game to make sure I get the name translations right), five Dragon's Den item pages up to make sure I get the right item name translations.

I'll admit, I am the ABSOLUTE worst at capturing images for the monsters (primarily because I use Excel, and incorporating photos in that program on a Mac is like unanesthetized urethral surgery).  But, I'm willing to work with you guys on that.  🙂

Which leads me to the next idea: we need a standalone Item Index, with the following information: 1.) Japanese name; 2.) English name; 3.) Image; 4.) Game appearance; 5.) Purchase price; 6.) Sale price; 7.) Harvest points; 8.) Drop data; 9.) Use; 10.) Alchemy recipes.

That'll be my next contribution, perhaps.  🙂

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

So..  I was wondering if I could be of any assistance to you, mjhopkins81.

Mainly concerning alternate names for monsters which have not yet received official translations (and those listed on the database, like baboon beast and dark robot slime, I don't think have ever been used in official English-language media).

I did something similar to that list once, but stalled numerous times and eventually had to cease when I heard just now that you were working on it.

Edited by Chanticleer Hegemony

On 5/16/2019 at 12:53 AM, Chanticleer Hegemony said:

So..  I was wondering if I could be of any assistance to you, mjhopkins81.

Mainly concerning alternate names for monsters which have not yet received official translations (and those listed on the database, like baboon beast and dark robot slime, I don't think have ever been used in official English-language media).

I did something similar to that list once, but stalled numerous times and eventually had to cease when I heard just now that you were working on it.

Heya - sorry, for not getting back to you in a timely manner.  I’ve literally had the reply E-Mail sitting at the top of my inbox since the 16th, but between work and grinding this game (I just hit 200h, 02m and STILL have reached only 71.1% bestiary completion), it just keeps evading me.

Once I finish up the Post-Game section, I’ll shoot you a copy of my spreadsheet that I’m using as a baseline.  Send me a PM with your E-Mail address, and once I’ve completed Mistletoe Tower, I’ll send you what I have, so far.

I anticipate that some monsters will no longer be available, which SUUUUUCKS, because I’ve been hitting the daily key downloads and trying desperately to beat the Asian online players in the GP tournaments (to date, I’ve won only a single battle).

Also, Platty and Woodus - I have two of the Japanese strategy guides for this game (as well as several others) that have maps detailing treasure and Other Countries’ Masters locations.  I know it’s a copyright grey area, but what is the likelihood that I could scan them and send them to you for uploading, so long as we use proper attribution?

2CEF7D53-36A7-4A55-AF31-3B1867D2B4B8.jpeg

• Like 1

Also, Platty and Woodus - I have two of the Japanese strategy guides for this game (as well as several others) that have maps detailing treasure and Other Countries’ Masters locations.  I know it’s a copyright grey area, but what is the likelihood that I could scan them and send them to you for uploading, so long as we use proper attribution?
spacer.png

Wow! That'd be cool, but I'll let@woodus make that call about hosting it. Me? I'd love to take a peek!

32 minutes ago, Plattym3 said:

Wow! That'd be cool, but I'll let@woodus make that call about hosting it. Me? I'd love to take a peek!

Here’s an example: the map on the left shows the red chests, Masters spawning locations, and towns/dungeons; the map on the right shows the random item spawns.

66BABBA2-8714-487A-8B88-E5430FBED713.jpeg

• Like 1

Sure if you want to scan them I will put them up :) Thank you.

I believe the foreign master locations, as well as the lists of potential monsters, are also in the game-cap database I posted previously. If there's any info you're missing for the project, I can look through the website to see if I can find it in the Japanese text. 

• Upvote 1

Here are some previews of the work I’ve done, so far, as I’m rounding out the edges and doing the post-game cleanup (having just beaten the post-game content, yesterday).  You guys are awesome for offering to help!

3BADBCB6-C3DF-4930-B956-33D6E7327B67.png

8D5287D5-80D2-411A-9624-897C2D33CE07.png

B88D97D9-0F05-43D9-A20A-91BA117513C0.png

5CBEAA34-67BF-4E10-850E-8BA6D436E167.png

D63C169E-5EF1-4D59-BFBD-C4F63EC7E950.png

7E409306-134A-44DC-952E-9CB84E0D447B.png

9C4FC8E0-AFB8-4F68-AEBD-3A4D85C55A06.png

0AA78B46-0EC5-4054-B42D-C46C452226F4.png

• Like 1

Chocolate Golem in your Rainbow Egg list is incorrect I believe, as you can only get that from StreetPass and the Japanese corresponds to one of the Watabou/Warubou variations. "Hell Boxle" would be better translated as "TreeBoy," as that's what it was in DWM1 and DWM2. Not too important, but I noticed that when scanning what you had.

As a tip for filling out the item drops, as it's kind of a pain to figure those out otherwise, making the cheapest Magic Keys, checking your library for any unknown item drops you have for those monsters, then grinding to get those drops from what you find and hoping other monsters have those same drops is a somewhat efficient method of doing that. 

Great work so far!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MrMystery said:

Chocolate Golem in your Rainbow Egg list is incorrect I believe, as you can only get that from StreetPass and the Japanese corresponds to one of the Watabou/Warubou variations. "Hell Boxle" would be better translated as "TreeBoy," as that's what it was in DWM1 and DWM2. Not too important, but I noticed that when scanning what you had.

As a tip for filling out the item drops, as it's kind of a pain to figure those out otherwise, making the cheapest Magic Keys, checking your library for any unknown item drops you have for those monsters, then grinding to get those drops from what you find and hoping other monsters have those same drops is a somewhat efficient method of doing that. 

Great work so far!

Nice catches!

In the main list, I had "Hell Boxle" down as "Tree Feller," since that's what his name was in DQ VI.

Chocolate Golem is enemy 615, and Kagebou is 616, so I was looking at the wrong line.

You're awesome for pointing those out to me.

All right...I've passed 304h, 53m on this game and hit 97.7%, with 770 monsters scouted, bred, hatched, won, gifted, and transferred.  I've hit the wall, and am stopping, for now.  I have all the drops from F, E, and D classes completed, and several others filled in, in the other classes.  At this point, I'm going to just...give it a rest, for now.

Are you planning on doing  some sort of breeding database at some point? Every single combination is of course impossible, but showing how the generic breeding chains for each family up to rank A could be useful, especially showing how non-generic monsters fit into that. That would be somewhat arduous of a task I'm guessing. I'll be very excited to look through this when it's finished. 

• Like 1

Shoot me your E-mail address, and I’ll send you the document.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mmy48E2ypcC-Wsqgaupsok97Ul0GEdtDgdKYFEnFWJ8

Here’s the link to the existing document.  So...have fun!