setfiretothesun

Credit Warp in Dragon Warrior. Princess Gwaelin encounter South of Rimuldar

Posted (edited)

I just picked up Dragon Warrior for the NES this week and was doing my first casual play-through. 
I thought it would be fun to try the game blind, rather than following a guide, but I encountered something that I am nearly certain is highly unusual.
I was farming gold and exp (currently level 10), and I was farming enemies south of Rimuldar. Upon saving up 1500 gold I stopped in town to get the broadsword and then began farming gold for armor. After finishing a fight I noticed my controller was acting a little buggy, so I gently unplugged it and plugged it back in. When I plugged my controller into the console a text-box appeared on top of the over-world. It read: "Please wait, I wish to go with the on thy journey. May I travel as thy companion?" Another text-box appeared, giving me the options Yes and No. I thought: "How cool, I didn't know you had a companion in this game, I wonder how that impacts fighting." So I hit yes. The stranger replied "I'm so happy!" walked onto the same square I was on and half of my sprite merged with her sprite. Then the credits rolled. I was completely shocked to suddenly win the game in the middle of a field... I thought you were supposed to fight the "DragonLord" or something...  

I'm assuming I somehow caused a credits-warp and won far earlier than I ever was meant to, and being a fan of speed runs, I wanted to post this discovery so that someone who knows this game, or just a member of the community may be able to use it. I'm going to find out if I can recreate the event on my own, and will post more findings if I am able.

Edited by setfiretothesun
  • Like 4

Yeah that's definitely a credits warp. I've never seen or heard of a credits warp in a Dragon Quest/Warrior game before, that's a pretty cool find! :P It might make for really fast speedruns if it's possible to do it again. I wonder if it's the location that was significant or the fact that you plugged in your controller again, or both?

• Like 1

That is quite interesting, was this on a physical NES or an emulator?

• Like 1

This was on a physical NES, and I know within 3 tiles the location it occurred. One of the weirdest parts that I forgot to mention originally, was when the princess was talking to me her text was colored green.

So far I have been unable to replicate the event, but I wanted to provide as much information as I have. My understanding is that I likely (accidentally) executed arbitrary code that spawned the princess. That being said, I don't know which memory addresses store what information, so I will provide a picture of the location this glitch occurred as well as information regarding my inventory, and equipment.

Equipment:
Broad Sword
(recent purchase, having traded in Hand Ax)
Leather Armor
Small Shield

Inventory:
Magic Key (2)
Staff of Rain
Dragon's Scale (E)
Fairy Flute
Fighter's Ring (E)

*On a separate occasion in this file I had put on the cursed belt, but had the curse removed.*

Reflection:
The reason I unplugged my controller originally is I noticed the game was not registering my inputs. I assumed it was the fault of the controller, but in retrospect, the game may have been slowing down due to code execution meaning: the break point could have occurred before I unplugged the controller. 

Map Key: 
B=Bridge
H=Hill
M=Mountain
P=Player
T=Tree
W=Water

I hand drew the map as my camera couldn't filter the exposure from the television well.

I would like to reiterate I am relaying my findings so that Dragon Warrior speedrunners can have this warp if it is possible to replicate. So please, if you are reading this, pass along the information to those who know the inner workings of the game.

Thank you!

57414127_361978751088222_3247718251915902976_n.png

Really interesting! You might want to include your character's name and all stats in the status/attributes menu. (Blanking right now as to what the menu is actually called in the original. - My copies are both in storage.)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Name: CONNOR
Strength: 33
Agility: 31
Maximum HP: 50
Maximum MP: 40
Attack Power: 53
Defense Power: 27
Weapon: Broad Sword
Armor: Leather Armor
Shield: Small Shield
*Fighter's Ring +2 ATT & Dragon's Scale +2 DEF*

If you think of anything else that I should share, let me know.

Edited by setfiretothesun
Clarity

Interesting... this could open up possibilities even besides speedrunning the game. Many people have created things like Pong in different games using Arbitrary Code Execution; I wonder if it would be possible even on a NES game. Do you remember what enemies you fought before the game started slowing down?

14 hours ago, setfiretothesun said:

57414127_361978751088222_3247718251915902976_n.png

So based on your map, this is the correct location, right?

credit-glitch.jpg

Yes, that is the exact tile I was referring to. Thank you for the tile map. As for enemies, I don't remember exactly which enemies I fought leading up to the glitch. I know I fought 1 Goldman, Skeletons and Wraiths, Warlocks, Metal Scorpions, Wolfs and Wolflords. I also encountered some enemies in the cave, but that was before I noticed any lagging.

Just double checked speedrun.com really quickly to confirm there wasn't a credit warp category yet, and indeed there isn't. Since I don't personally speedrun this game, I think I'm going to pass this info along to some peeps like NESCard and see if they wanna try and deep dive to recreate. This could be the creation of a new category! Great (accidental :tounge2:) find!

I'm already giddy about the possibilities (if possible) of how this could drastically change the Any% category. Imagine using the RNG manipulation trick to level up to Rimuldar readiness then credit warp. Or even RNG manipulate just to the credit warp hahaha.

Calm down Hawkeye... Let's not get ahead of ourselves...

Sweet! I'm glad you know who to tell about this. Thank you all for your help. It'll be pretty awesome if my out of the blue discovery turns into something useful.

This started out like a creepy pasta, but it'll be great if it opens doors for speed runners indeed! 

I mean, this could be an elaborate troll, of course, but for one, there are credits warps in other DQ games, and it isn't like NES games aren't known for being buggy. I'm going to assume this can be replicated until proven otherwise, although the caveat with that is that we don't know exactly what triggered it. If I had a NES or NES emulator with DW1 on it, I'd be trying to replicate this as much as possible to see if I could trigger anything. NESCardinality is streaming right now; I'll see if he's gotten word of this.

22 hours ago, MrMystery said:

I mean, this could be an elaborate troll, of course, but for one, there are credits warps in other DQ games, and it isn't like NES games aren't known for being buggy. I'm going to assume this can be replicated until proven otherwise, although the caveat with that is that we don't know exactly what triggered it. If I had a NES or NES emulator with DW1 on it, I'd be trying to replicate this as much as possible to see if I could trigger anything. NESCardinality is streaming right now; I'll see if he's gotten word of this.

NESCard was the first person I Tweeted at. What other DQ games have credit warps? This is the first I've heard of any.

I believe DQ5 has a credits warp, and DQ3 definitely has something very similar, although I'm not sure if that's strictly counted as a credits warp. Some of these may be TAS only, but they definitely exist.

That's awesome. What a cool discovery! I watched a speed run of the game for AGDQ last year and seeing it was something else. Having everything down to the frame is amazing.

I think our consensus was that it's perfectly believable that something like this could happen, although any glitchy effects were probably due to the cartridge being jostled than something in-game, or a combination of both; however, I don't know if anyone has tried to replicate this thoroughly, but we decided it was unlikely that some arbitrary combination of things in-game could cause this when the alternate hypothesis is more likely. This does warrant further investigation, however.