Sign in to follow this  
PaleThanatos

NDS Backup tool on Windows 10

Can some one help me? I just bought a NDS backup tool but I can't install it or get it to work. I've tried several tutorials but it just doesn't work. I've never messed with this stuff before so none of it really makes sense to me. I just want to get the DQVC content from dragon quest ix. I think I got most of that figured out but I need the sav. file. help? please  

What device did you get?

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

I found this site which has the drivers:

http://archive.pokedit.com/support/nds-adapter-plus.php

But the instructions look pretty involved. It may require a deep dive. Are you fairly tech savvy?

That drivers on that website are unsigned by the way. As an IT guy, I suggest you use them at your own risk. I'm probably being over paranoid, but if you have an old laptop lying around maybe you should wipe that, do a clean install, and then use that system only for this purpose (while keeping it totally offline).

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Are you fairly tech savvy?

Uh not with this stuff. But aren't those drivers for 32bit? My OS is 64bit

That drivers on that website are unsigned by the way. As an IT guy, I suggest you use them at your own risk. I'm probably being over paranoid, but if you have an old laptop lying around maybe you should wipe that, do a clean install, and then use that system only for this purpose (while keeping it totally offline).

I know that. I've tried temporarily disabling the verification - still nothing. I do have an old laptop but its Win10 as well and its not really "mine" so I can't make any major changes to it

Edited by PaleThanatos

Posted (edited)

I've not successfully gotten the drivers to work on a 64 bit machine, though according to the Amazon reviews it can be done by setting the PC to accept unsigned drivers. As AustNerevar mentioned there is a potential security risk. I've not had any problems using the same drivers on an older 32 bit laptop running Windows 7, however.

I was talking with someone in Germany a month or two ago about doing a DQIX mail-and-tag project, but it was too cost-prohibitive because international return shipping from the US is ridiculously expensive. As an alternative, he/she ended up getting an NDS Adaptor and taking it to the library where they had older computers and was able to get it to work there. It's not ideal, but it's worth a shot if nothing else works.

Edited by Liamland
  • Like 1

Uh not with this stuff. But aren't those drivers for 32bit? My OS is 64bit
Yeah and upon further reading on that site it won't work with Win 8 eiyher which means it likely won't work with 10. Apparently you're limited to only the 32bit versions Windows XP, Vista, and 7.

I suppose a Virtual Machine would be my next step if I didn't have access to a system running one of the above OS'.

Too bad they never kept up with driver support. There's obviously still a need, even if it's a niche one.

The device I have is an R4i brand that has never had driver problems. Of course the box has broken Engrish all over it. I don't know if they're even available anymore though as anytime you search for r4i all you get in the results are flash cards.

I hadn't ever heard of this device before.

R4i dongles are scarce. I'd researched them as an alternative to the NDS Adaptor Plus, awhile back, but ultimately either couldn't find one or couldn't find it at a reasonable price.

I thought I had it working on Win10 once, but I will have to try it again this weekend. I have done it with a VM and XP and it worked, but since it was only a 30 day trial of XP it ran out.

MaxRebo mentioned in another thread that he had ordered an R4i dongle, back in March. I asked him if he ever received it and about how well it works.

I have a virtual machine with Windows XP running but I'm at a lost on what to do now...  
Well you'll need to follow the XP instructions from that guide. And depending on what VM software you're using, you may have to enable some kind of passthru for USB devices. You'll know if, after the drivers are installed, it still isn't recognizing the device.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, AustNerevar said:

Well you'll need to follow the XP instructions from that guide. And depending on what VM software you're using, you may have to enable some kind of passthru for USB devices. You'll know if, after the drivers are installed, it still isn't recognizing the device.

The XP tutorial on there is actually for windows vista and windows 7. So guess I have to VM one of those instead. I'm using Oracle VM and I think theres already USB passthrough but I'm not sure yet 

No need to do any of that because I just tested my R4I Save Dongle on my Windows 10 64-bit Gaming PC and I was able to successfully extract my Dragon Quest IX Save File and had no issues whatsoever.No I just got to run it through the save editor unlock the additional content  and then put the save back on my game copy and I should be good to go.Getting everything to work was incredibly fast and easy.

This is where I got my dongle from https://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=271  and when it comes to drivers Malwarebytes blacklisted the site for containing Trojans but I was able to get the files from  this page http://79.222.124.168:8080/Flashcardsinfo/Flashkarten/Dateien/Backup/DS/Slot-1/R4/R4i-sdhc.com/Save%20Dongle/ and made sure to scan with both Bitdefender and Malwarebytes before doing anything else and everything came up clean.

So if everything works with the editor and putting it back on the cart,make sure to spread the news far and wide that one can still buy the R4i dongle and its a more than suitable replacement for NDS Adapter.

• Like 1

No need to do any of that because I just tested my R4I Save Dongle on my Windows 10 64-bit Gaming PC and I was able to successfully extract my Dragon Quest IX Save File and had no issues whatsoever.No I just got to run it through the save editor unlock the additional content  and then put the save back on my game copy and I should be good to go.Getting everything to work was incredibly fast and easy.

This is where I got my dongle from https://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=271  and when it comes to drivers Malwarebytes blacklisted the site for containing Trojans but I was able to get the files from  this page http://79.222.124.168:8080/Flashcardsinfo/Flashkarten/Dateien/Backup/DS/Slot-1/R4/R4i-sdhc.com/Save%20Dongle/ and made sure to scan with both Bitdefender and Malwarebytes before doing anything else and everything came up clean.

So if everything works with the editor and putting it back on the cart,make sure to spread the news far and wide that one can still buy the R4i dongle and its a more than suitable replacement for NDS Adapter.
That's what I have. I also have the drivers saved if anyone ever needs them.

I recently got around to editing the save that I had extracted and transfered it back to my cart and it worked perfectly,I did the Inn Visitors,Inn Upgrades,Historic Characters and making it so the DLC Quests are available,the only part I didn't do at this time is items unique to DQVC which I won't do until necessary.But the process was a complete success and so this a viable option/alternative for people who can't use other means of accessing this content.