Sign in to follow this  
Hendrik of Heliodor

XI's villians (Spoilers)

I'm curious to see what you guys thought about Dragon Quest XI's villains, what you liked and didn't like about them, your favourite villain in the game, how they compare to other villains in the Dragon Quest series and so on.

The primary villains of the game are Jasper, Mordegon, and Calasmos. Of these three, the most well developed, in my opinion is Jasper (not surprisingly as most Dragon Quest final bosses have little to them other than being a demon lord). Jasper is probably my favourite villain in this game because of his competitive relationship with Hendrik and his obvious corrupt nature that was taken advantage of by Mordegon. I also liked Mordegon a lot, I enjoyed the story about how he was once Morcant but I especially liked how he managed to execute his plans and how much preparation he had made. I always enjoy when a villain achieves some sort of goal in a video game, it makes it feel more important and motivates me to move forward. I didn't pay much attention to any of the minor antagonists in this game as most were just simple Dragon Quest bosses, my favourite of those is probably Tatsunaga. I didn't really like Calasmos though, he just didn't feel like he made much of an impact.

This game had some pretty good villains overall and I also loved their designs but, for me, they aren't the best in the series, the game seemed to focus a lot more on your party and those characters which was done excellently.

It was hard for me to take Calasmos all that seriously when he looked like a giant version of Cell from Dragon Ball Z with a goofy fat baby face. However, I do like the way his text is presented, and the brief moment in the final battle where you hear how his text sounds with that incredibly ominous deep sound to it was perfect for a villain. Honestly it made me wish we had the option for voices or text speech sounds because I would turn it to the latter just for that.

Jaspar was okay. He’s a villain I hate because his boss battles were some of the more difficult ones in the game (might be just because I was playing with strong enemies, but who knows) and I did like his human design. I feel like they were going for an Angelo/Marcello story with him and Hendrik, but it didn’t quite hit the mark. Their confrontation with each other in ruined Helidor castle was a great cutscene though, along with the reveal of their past. I just got hope the Switch version goes into more detail on there past.

Now Mordegon, honestly, is one of my favorite DQ villains. The big reveal of who he was and how he became the monster you know was unexpected, and actually seeing a DQ villain succeed in taking over the world was pretty unexpected. True, Orgodemir before him managed to fool the world, but Mordegon’s rule had such a huge impact on the entire world. With most DQ games, I always felt like while the big bads are powerful and a threat, they never do much to actually flaunt their powers and the worlds are usually pretty well off looking despite monsters running around.

With Mordegon’s rule? Most of the world/landscape is torn up somehow, monsters have become much more violent, you see his forces decimate towns and see how the world has a more muted feel to it with the ever present brown sky during the daytime hours. Heck, him showing up to fend off the Lantern was pretty unexpected and demonstrated he was willing to go beyond his castle to actually do something if he wanted to, unlike say Nimzo or Mortamor who sit on their asses waiting for their minions to do their dirty work or how Baramos was such a “threat,” when Ortega went after him but didn’t do ANYTHING really evil and just waited for another hero to show up.

So yeah. Calasmos and Jaspar were okay, Mordegon I really liked.

• Like 2

I totally expected Mordegon to be a demon like most DQ villains, so when you find out he was actually human and Erdwin’s best friend I was a bit mindblown. I don’t really like Calasmos all that much though, but the foreshadowing leading up to Calasmos was brilliant. The game tricked you into thinking the “Dark One” was Mordegon when it actually wasn’t. The only hint is the painting in Arboria of Calasmos.

• Like 2